1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For a used car: what are the significant advantages of a Prius 4?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by SouthbayJA, Oct 9, 2013.

1. SouthbayJA

SouthbayJA New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I'm new to Prius Chat and glad to be here. I've never owned a Prius, but have driven a couple. I've started my search for a used Prius and I'd like to find a Series 3 or 4. I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion about the advantages of a 4 series?

Thanks!

2. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Prior to 2012, the prius 4 comes with leather seats, heated seats, the 3 came with cloth seats. In some areas, such as California, the 4 also came with the Navigation system and back up camera. You could get these (seats and nav) as options in the 3. Both the cars had optional sun roofs. I don't remember if the stereo system was upgraded in the 4 compared to the 3.

For 2012 and beyond, I don't recall the option differences.

3. smokiejoe

smokiejoe Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Prius IV has electric lower lumbar seat support, quiet a nice feature if your back acts up.

4. SouthbayJA

SouthbayJA New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for that info!

5. SouthbayJA

SouthbayJA New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the details, much appreciated!

6. SouthbayJA

SouthbayJA New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great info. This is really helping me lean toward the 4 over the 3. Thanks!

7. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The 2010 package 4 also came with a "home link" rear view mirror. It allows you to program a couple of remotes (garage door openers) to it (I've never used mine because our garage door opener has been broken for about 4 years (LOL).

I like the leather seats, they are easy to clean and wear well. If you get some leather cleaner, it gives the car a nice "leather" smell that people often mistake for a "new car" smell. Downside of leather is that they are colder in the winter (seat warmers help) and get hot in the sun in the summer. I'll take that trade off for an easy to clean and maintain seat. Also, the fabric covering on the arm rest/cup and CD holder in the center will get an elbow wear hole in it on the 3. The 4 is leather covered.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2010/2011 (2010 is labelled in roman numerals.. 2010 III and 2010 IV. They switched to "numbers" for 2011.. 2011 Three and 2011 Four)

III/Three: Adds JBL Audio System w/ 8 Speakers, bluetooth handsfree and XM Satellite Radio to the base II/Two

Options:
    Navigation Package:
    Voice-Activated DVD-Based Navigation with 7" LCD Screen, backup camera, bluetooth music streaming

Solar Roof Package:
    Contents of Navigation Package plus Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof, Solar Powered Ventilation System with Remote Air Conditioning System

IV/Four: Adds to the III/Three: Leather-Trimmed Seats, Synthetic Leather Door Trim, Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel, Water-Repellent Front Door Glass, PlasmaCluster Ionizer Filter, Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror w/ Homelink, Power Driver's Lumbar Support, 3-dr Smart Key System, Illuminated Entry (i.e. Front Footwell Lighting), Heated Front Seats, Upgraded A & B Pillar Trim

Options:
    Navigation Package:
    Voice-Activated DVD-Based Navigation with 7" LCD Screen, backup camera, bluetooth music streaming

Solar Roof Package:
    Contents of Navigation Package plus Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof, Solar Powered Ventilation System with Remote Air Conditioning System

The 2011 models (and late 2010 models) add USB Port w/ iPod Connectivity to all packages. 2011 Prius Four models additionally include Safety Connect to those option packages.

cycledrum likes this.
  10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Being 6'2" tall the advantage of 2012 and later Prius 4 or 5 would be the 10 way adjustable power driver's seat which was not available in the first 2 model years 2010/11. In 2010/11, it was 8 way in 4 and 5 model (6-way manual adjust + 2 way power lumbar). The other 2 ways of movement in power seat are bottom cushion tilt (tilt up / down), something I could really use. Little too squeezy on legs as is.