1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford's EcoBoost EV Beater

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Santiago, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Santiago

Santiago New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Ford to build 'boring-EV beating' eco-engine in Bridgend

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] 1 comment
    By Alun Taylor [More by this author]
    29th October 2008 13:47 GMT

'Leccy Tech OK, so it's not strictly 'leccy tech, but Ford's EcoBoost petrol engine does suggest a future for near-term environmentally responsible motoring that's a little more attractive than that suggested by this picture of PM Gordon Brown getting gushy over a Think City yesterday.
    [​IMG]
    Gordo and Transport Secretary Geoff Hoon were snapped outside Number 10 with a range of 'leccy cars after announcing the government's £100m electric motoring trial. Think today pitched the story as if its car was the only one there.
    No matter what happens to ice caps, we prefer not head into a future stuffed with plastic EVs that struggle to hit 65mph. Think could at least have turned up with its Ox, a car that looks like something you just may want to own:
    [​IMG]
    Back to the point in hand. Ford has announced its new EcoBoost 1.6L tree-hugging engine is to be built at its Bridgend plant in South Wales. Production will begin in 2010 with volumes eventually ramping up to 1m units a year.
    [​IMG]Ford's Verve: first home for the EcoBoost engine?

2. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Note the almost total lack of facts in the article.

/Nips out for a quick Google/

OK, facts here:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=27455

Basically claims to have a superior form of fuel injection and a turbo. Claims up to 20% better mileage, up to 15% less CO2 production. Main claimed advantage is that it's cheap. /Yawn/

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I like the Think Ox.

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Heck, the original Think City was an awesome car. The new one blows it away. Having a solid 50 mph car is just the ticket for so many of the miles driven in this country. Anything around town can be handled with plenty of power and speed in reserve (unlike with a GEM, for example). They aren't meant to be highway cars ever. But they excel at what they're meant for: City trips. I'd love to own one.

So yeah... EVs just aren't good enough. What we REALLY need, you see. Is more gasoline engines. No use going 100% cleaner when we can now achieve 15 and 20% cleaner! :sigh:

So the Ford is slated to beat some slower, smaller EVs. Wow. There's news. That's almost like comparing apples and... well... NOT apples.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Another promise to bring the 50mph pure EV THINK to the U.S. ok, I'm standing on one leg waiting :)

6. SCfromSC

SCfromSC I take my gas in a sippy cup

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    As much as I enjoy driving my Prius, I would love to see FORD come up with a true hybrid, or completely electric, competitor for the Prius. I got the Prius because it was the best value for the price that met the conditions I wanted. That condition was gas mileage, comfort, and drivability. The Prius did have all of those. Fords, Chevys, etc. didn't.

If FORD had a vehicle that was real compatition for the Prius, I would have given it a hard look and may have bought it instead, but they didn't. The last vehicle I had was a '93 Explorer and I loved the way it rode and the comfort of the seat. I couldn't drive it anymore because it was a stick shift, and I have skeletal troubles with my legs. Not a good combination.

Now I drive my Prius, and I have no regrets. It doesn't hurt my feet and knees to drive, but my back feels it more than it used to.