1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Former Gen1 owners: I'm upgrading, what should I expect?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NinnJinn, Oct 15, 2013.

1. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tomorrow 10-15 My father and I will be "test driving" And 99% sure I will be driving home a 2008 package 2 prius.

Besides better reliability, What should I expect from the 2008 over my beloved 2002 prius?

One concern I have, From about May thru October, In the 2002 prius I can generally average 49-53mpg on my tanks. (mostly in town driving) Can I expect as good MPG in the 2008 prius during that time?

Don't be shy former GenI owners, let me hear your thoughts please. Good and Bad

Thanks

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I documented my upgrade from a 2001 to a 2004 in great detail, with personal logs, spreadsheets, and photos...
    John's Stuff - Toyota Prius and more

The Classic model provided a number of memories still quite vivid, but the Iconic model is when real fun happened.

NinnJinn likes this.
  3. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the link John! I hear you about the memories. I really wanted to keep my 2002, but after diagnosis etc today, I would probably be spending about 2-3x more to keep her on the road than she is worth and with a moderate amount of nudging from my Father, I decided to let her go and move on.

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Gen I and II are remarkably similar. They drive almost exactly the same. Here's the differences I noticed.

1) The Gen II is more aerodynamic than the Gen I therefore gets better highway mileage
    2) The Gen II is more comfortable and more practical. Its bigger, holds more people comfortably, holds more luggage, and has a better interior layout
    3) The SKS system on the Gen II is awesome. Love it
    4) The cassette player is gone in the Gen II (yay)!!!!!!!!!
    5) The Gen II is less powerful in all electric mode so you will have a hard time taking off in all electric compared to the Gen I
    6) The Gen II is much easier to glide than the Gen I
    7) Overall, the Gen II is superior but you won't notice much difference in how they drive. You will get about the same mileage but I wouldn't doubt if you get a little less in the city.

NinnJinn likes this.
  5. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The only real advantage I noticed in the gen II was the hatchback. The disadvantages are the weak visibility and the noticeably larger turning radius.

6. ToyoWorks

ToyoWorks New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I loved my gen 1 but I really LOVE my gen 2!the center console is a great upgrade,I'm always running errands so having a hatch back with seats that can go down is a huge plus(I put 10 bags of mulch the other day),wayyyy easier to glide in and the smart key is one of the best things about it. I can easily get 50-55 mpg where in the gen 1 I really had to watch my driving to get 50. You won't regret it

usnavystgc likes this.
  7. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Gen II is very versatile isn't it. I have had it loaded to the gills and got great gas mileage. See this thread Still Amazed | PriusChat

ToyoWorks likes this.
  8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you should get better mpg with G2.