1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Former hater turned believer

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Hapa DC5, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Hapa DC5

Hapa DC5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Definitely not a belieber. ;) Anywho, I thought I'd introduce myself, my wife and I purchased a 2013 Prius Four back in October taking advantage of the Prius for Everyone event.

I was never a fan of this car, the stigma attached to it and especially the drivers. I consider myself a bonafide gearhead. I have built several Hondas and Acuras for drag racing and SCCA weekend events along with American muscle cars and currently have been on a Nissan/Infiniti trip with my current G37S Sedan.

However our needs changed and my wife was finding herself driving nearly 70-80 miles per day for work. Our current Toyota was due for quite a bit of work including an upcoming car payment and registration renewal. She was mad she was spending $120+ a week on gas and I couldn't blame her. I really wanted to get a Leaf for those reasons, but real world range would've been just cutting it too close for comfort even if she could charge at work and at the house.

We liked the Volt and wanted to buy American, but the fact it's a four seater and we keep the dog in the backseat wasn't appealing. Toyota has always been a reliable car and while I was really against the Prius even after test driving one my wife softened me up a bit. She decided on a traditional liftback as opposed to the PiP.

After thinking a Grey Prius Two would fit her needs, we decided on a Three, then looked at the Four and upsold ourselves on a Blizzard Pearl Four.

Three months of ownership, almost 6k miles later and a lifetime MPG average hovering around 44; happy wife, happy life.

RumPir8, ftl and wjtracy like this.
  2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Your story is not new. It is actually quite common. What usually happens later on is you begin driving the Prius everywhere and become fascinated with it. If your a gearhead, there are lots of cool things on the Prius. Just take a gander at how the transaxle works. Its so simple, it will blow your mind.

HowStuffWorks "The Power Split Device"

3. Hapa DC5

Hapa DC5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It literally is our go-to vehicle now. The Infiniti sits in the driveway I only use it to get to work and an occasional spirited drive on the weekends.

I really admire the engineering that goes into the Prius and I'll be honest I sorta enjoy driving it to get the best MPG, it's like a game. I'm still not a fan of my fellow Prius drivers though, but I think that's more of a reflection of where I live. I'm not sure how they are outside of the Bay Area and LA-San Diego.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    " I was never a fan of this car, the stigma attached to it and especially the drivers."

Try to drop that attitude.

You hang around this site enough? You should come to realize that Prius Drivers are a diverse group. I would personally never let a supposed "stigma" or stereotype influence whether I liked a vehicle or not. The Prius...is a vehicle. The Drivers? A diverse group of human beings with uncountable reasons for embracing hybrid technology.

I also don't understand why often owning a Prius or driving a Prius is considered an Either/Or scenario. As you have discovered it is quite possible to own a Prius, Drive a Prius and Enjoy a Prius and STILL be a "gear head" .

Believe it or not? I still enjoy the ICE. I still go to auto shows and classic automobile shows. WHEN I win the lottery, I'm getting my 1967 Mustang...with no apologizes to anyone.

Toyota has sold over 5 Million Hybrids. There is not one singular group buying them all.

Your presentation and introduction is interesting as it seems that at almost every step and at almost every level "The Prius" was at least NOT your personal #1 choice.
    It's interesting to hear that you have if not been totally swayed...at least have come to appreciate the vehicle.

Plus...don't dump Prius ownership totally on your wife. I hate owners that "hide" from Prius ownership by always defining it as being "The Wifes" vehicle..or the Wifes Choice. Hey, it's a marriage...YOU BOTH own a Prius now. Man up and deal with it.

5. Hapa DC5

Hapa DC5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Trust me I own it. Read my second post in my thread. "Our" "my fellow Prius drivers," etc.

Hell I'm even posting this as I sit in the driver seat of our prius waiting for my wife to get out of the house.

VS980 4G ?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you should have waited for the accord hybrid. all the mpg's with none of the stigma!:p

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Every car is 'perfect' until it exists.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    reality has no advantage over fantasy.;)

9. Hapa DC5

Hapa DC5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Having a hatch is extremely convenient. No need for another four door sedan in our stable unless it's V8 and RWD.

I'm really itching to have an SUV a 4Runner comes to mind. (y)

10. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hapa DC5 New Member

Since: Thursday

He's an FNG. Give him a break.

OP, you are correct. There ARE a**hole Prius drivers...a small percentange. But there are those same type associated with anything you can name. The people here at PC are helpful and polite, and only occasionally condescending.

As with any other forum, enjoy your conversations with the friendly people and ignore the buttheads.

Hapa DC5 likes this.
  11. Hapa DC5

Hapa DC5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I can deal with the hazing. That's life "real" or online.

I hope you're right and PC isn't filled with "those" drivers.

12. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Prius, and the lifestyle it has become poster boy for, is a lot like a religion. It's difficult to discuss religion with some people. I try mightily to avoid them at all times.

We got our first Prius in '09. It's wifes car, but my name is on it. She chose it for the pocket protector factor because she's a geek programmer type and the technology thing is strong in her. Plus she couldn't get all her shopping into a Miata convertible like she really wanted to get. When I first got here to PC the religion feel was strong. It's abated some, but not gone completely away. I'm an old gun-totin', redneck, hippie, garden-growing, technology-using, prior military type (lots of identity issues to work through o_O ) that has come to enjoy saving money on gas. You'll have to pry my 10mpg F250 Super Duty V10 4wd from my cold dead hands, but I enjoy getting into my bright-stinkin'-orange Prius C every morning and zipping off into the sunrise.

I have buddhist tendencies and try hard to maintain good feelings towards all and to let everyone live their own life without being judgemental or cruel. Not everyone is on board with that, but can be influenced by seeing it in action. That's a good way to be here on PC, and anywhere else.

Welcome aboard, and happy motoring.

RumPir8, ETC(SS), ftl and 1 other person like this.
  13. Hapa DC5

Hapa DC5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes as I mentioned that stigma. The more I'm on here though the stigma subsides sure you'll have your extremists like any brand, belief, or delusion but no biggie.

I have my own identity issues to work through as well. Working in law enforcement, former military, animal rights, socially liberal, financially conservative type, I'd probably be vegan if I never tasted meat. You catch my drift. ;)

Thank you again for the welcome.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello and welcome to PriusChat!

The Prius owners have definitely diversified when the current 3rd generation was introduced in May 2009. We had a whole new crop of owners that were happy to join the Prius family and that would have never considered a Prius before (e.g. the old Prius was ugly/slow/for hippies/for tree huggers etc etc). Toyota wanted this generation to become mainstream and I think they've done well.

Bob G IA and Hapa DC5 like this.
  15. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings and Welcome Aboard!

Open up your mind a little bit, read and learn.
    You'll be rewarded with a 50-MPG car that's better than you probably think that it is, being driven by people that might just surprise you at times with their diversity and tolerance.
    --- after all, they've (mostly) put up with people like me for 3 years. :D

I don't own a Prius.
    My company threw it into my parking lot to replace my almost dead 96 Chevy with lunar mileage, sagging everything, and questionable A/C.
    It was NOT love at first sight. :eek:
    I've come to respect Priuses and their drivers enough to publicly defend both over the last three years in no small part to the patience of many of the regulars on this forum.

GOOD LUCK!
    Enjoy those $30 fill-ups!!

16. Centurian

Centurian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My prius story... I was never a "hater" but I was defiantly VERY skeptical. A couple years ago one of my eclectic friends decided he was going to build an electric car. Being a good friend I offered my advice and did some surfing on his behalf which included coming to understand the brilliant design of the prius synergy drive. I too am a bit of a motorhead and never thought I'd see myself behind the wheel. My relationship with my 95 Tacoma is the longest of my life by far. With 280k on the clock it's never let me down, I don't think I've spent $1000 on repairs in 18 years and I've stretched every absolutely mandatory service interval to the limit and ignored many service items. It's never had any drivetrain work done, on the original clutch still and has never had a valve cover off.

Welcome to 2013, time for new wheels. I am NOT a big fan of all the airbags and electronics in new cars. My list of minimum needs is small; cruise, air and intermittent wipers. I despise automatic transmissions and the new rage of 6+ speeds really turns me off with all the shifting and subsequent clutch wear. The few manual boxes you can find are 6sp and many are not available with cruise as they can't reliably pull any significant hills in 6th. After driving the camery and smaller options I half jokingly took a prius out for a test drive. First time in my life to be inside one. I was amazed how well seamlessly integrated all the systems were and how big and comfy it is on the inside. Thinking back on my knowledge of the synergy system, I realized I was driving what now I feel is the best option. Functional cruise w/o the shifting required by "modern" fuel efficient transmissions. Nothing to wear out! I'd seen a few mentions of taxi fleets love of the prius. Anyway, that's how I ended up in a Prius. I hope the prius lives up to what I've come to expect from toyota!

On another note: The eclectic friend ended up buying a Solectria/geo metro electric car with dead lead acid batteries. We put lithium batteries in it a couple years ago. It really turned out to be an amazing car. Will run 80-100 miles on a charge with adequate performance. So far, after 50k+ miles there is no noticeable decline in the batteries and he couldn't be happier with it. He pulls a little trailer with it and hauls lots and lots of stuff. It's a bit too much of a compromise for my taste but has shown me what should be possible today. A modern version with a few more creature comforts is the perfect 2nd car for a 2 car household. Weight is the enemy and I suppose that is still what's holding back the pure electrics with all the current mandatory equipment but I do feel like I've seen the future.

ftl, Bob G IA and haole man like this.