1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Found the source of a squeaking noise that I've lived with for years

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by johnsmithy, May 17, 2014.

1. johnsmithy

johnsmithy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Don't know if this has been covered or not but I've found the source of a squeaking noise that I've lived with for more than 4 years. It seemed to be coming from the center-bottom of the windshield and would squeak with every minor bump and sounded like a pieces of plastic and rubber were rubbing together.

In the past I thought it was the plastic cover that was at the bottom of the windshield and would put silicone paste to try and lubricate the parts. Nothing seemed to work and i've just lived with it.

That is until yesterday when i got tired of listening to it and took everything apart and found the source of the noise.

It was the passenger wiper arm. Where the arm mounts to the studs, there are two round disks with rubber like washers. When i squirted lube around the disks and remounted the arm, the noise was gone!

Seriously feels like a new car again!

Hopefully this helps someone who feels like they are sharing their car with a family of mice.

Another and ydpplqbd like this.
  2. 05Prius111

05Prius111 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had something similar with a constant squeak while driving my 2005 prius. I could not locate the squeak inside but
    did notice that when I turned my wipers on the squeak went away for part of the wiping.
    Ended up being the black plastic cover over the passenger wiper arm.

The Fix was that I removed the wiper arms then took off the entire old plastic cover. It was brittle and old.
    I then covered the exposed good metal with grease and tape. Some areas need to move so I did not put the sticky tape on
    the circular bearing areas.

I figure the tape is theft prevention. LOL

Hope this helps someone

Another likes this.