1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Freaking IRRRESPONSIBLE LOSERS!!!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wolfman, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On my way home tonight, I see a dark form dashing up a dark side road, heading straight for me. I slam on the brakes just in time to see a Rottweiler enter my lights, and imediately vanish below the windshield. I then hear the sickening sound of dog and car meeting. I get stopped immediately after and can hear the sound of a wailing dog off of the left side of the road. I catch sight of the dog again, running and limping off towards the nearest house, so I pull into their driveway, and wake them up with my 6D cell, police issue flashlight pounding on their screen door, to tell them that I just smacked their dog. It turned out to be the neighbours, so I went next door. They were already up and ouside, and I see the dog run in. Needless to say, I'm PISSED!!! :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

Thanks to ABS, I didn't hit the dog very hard, and it'll likely become more street wise due to a good punt in the nice person. No damage to the car either.

Of all the animals to hit on the road, it has to be a dog. I have three, and my world REVOLVES around them. I want to puke right now, over the thought of injuring a dog, irregardless of whether it was mine or not.

For the life of me, I CANNOT understand WHY people fail to keep their damn animals CONTAINED on their property. If they cannot properly care for them, then DON'T GET ONE!!! :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

I feel like I hit a kid right now!! :pukeright:

2. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Don't really like dogs at all myself, I'm more of a cat person :)

That said, I don't want to hit anything in my car. I routinely slow down to avoid the stupid squirrels that seem to love to dash out in front of the car. I always yell at them to keep off the road :)

Dave.

3. rflagg

rflagg Member

Wow, so sorry to hear this Wolfman. It's good to hear that it wasn't as bad as it could've been, but still not a good situation.

My sister and her husband used to be one of these idiots you talk about - they were planning on getting one of those electric fences for their dog, just didn't have the money after building the new house. Plus, the live on the highest point on a mountain where there is never traffic except those who live around them.

Well, as you can guess, a teenager was flying home in his truck and hit their dog. They had to put thousands of $$ into surgeries for him, and even then, he still didn't make it.

It's been close to a year since that happened, and they just recently got a new puppy, as hard as it was for them to do so. They've learned though, they put up a real fence and make sure he's contained at all costs.

Unfortunately, many pet owners don't share quite the connection I believe you probably have with your pets - probably more like your kids (that's how I feel about my cats). Of course, many people who have kids don't quite understand the responsibility that comes with them, either - but at least the kids can speak up, animals don't have that luxury. Sorry to hear about your accident, just be thankful and glad neither of you were damaged too bad (I assume the car is ok, too?), and make sure to give your doggies an extra treat and an extra big hug to remind them how loved they are.

-m.

4. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No damage to the car, just a "splat" mark on the bumper where the impact occured. Had I seen the dog a measly one second sooner, I would have been able to come to a complete stop, and would have missed.

I'm just still fuming over the owners' irresponsibility to properly care for their dog, and insure that it was safely contained.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Useless information: in Mexico it is extremely common for people to keep their dogs on the roof.

6. hedwig

hedwig New Member

That's an awful thing to happen, but I'm so glad it worked out okay! (At least for the time being - hopefully they learned their lesson.)

I remember my first (and only, knock on wood) animal impact - I was 15, with my learner's permit, in my dad's van (with my dad). Two lane road, traffic coming, traffic behind. The dog was in the yard with the husband, the woman was in her car in the oncoming lane, waiting to turn into her driveway. It's a lovely summer day along the river, so we have the windows down. It's a 20 MPH zone (thank God) so I have time to hear her yell from the car to her husband "Why's the dog off the leash?!" Yeah, good call lady. Dog bolts toward Mama, directly under my tire. I pulled off the road, he got up and limped away, the couple apologized to my dad for the trauma (I was sobbing too hard to move) and I assume the dog is fine. I, on the other hand, wouldn't drive for weeks.

Lesson? People care, but they're not all that smart.

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Truer words were never spoken! - And they apply to nearly everything we do in life.

8. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Reminds me of a situation I was involved in about 4 years ago. I was on my bicycle. The dog ran out to chase me. I bicycled as fast as I could, and for some reason ended up veering to the left side of the road. An oncoming car hit the dog. I heard the sound and turned back to see the dog knocked out and lying on the road. Obviously I had very mixed feelings about the whole situation.

9. mboileau

mboileau New Member

As an avid dog lover and owner, I take great care to be sure both of my dogs are contained in the yard when I'm not around, and that they've been trained since they were pups to learn the rules and make it part of their very nature. Fortunately, for those rare times when the gate didn't quite latch shut or the door was slightly ajar, they've never ventured more than a foot or two beyond the invisible line.

I also STRONGLY recommend pet health insurance for those of you who don't know about it or wonder how you would afford the vet bill if something happened. I pay $300/yr per dog for health insurance and their plan's better than mine! They have coverage for emergency treatments, hospitals, regular doctor's office visits, discounted meds, and coverage for all their regular shots. Most of all, I have peace of mind that I'll never have to decide whether or not needed care is too expensive...

10. satchm0

satchm0 New Member

Wolfman, you didn't mention the reaction of the dog owners. What was their reaction to this incident?

11. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The lady was genuinely concerned. Just as I was leaving, some guy stuck his head out the window and started to develop an attitude. He got silenced immediately.

12. TCD

TCD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, as a guy who rescues Golden Retrievers (http://www.homewardboundgoldens.org/index.htm ) and who was very overworked… I am taking a some time off because I got to the point where I wanted to euthanasia all of the owners and keep all of the dogs!

Having said the above I will never forget the crash scene where a guy drove a van (and his entire family) off a cliff to avoid a squirrel.

I suggest that you think about the above and find a balance that is right for you…

13. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Believe me, I know the feeling.

My female Great Pyrenees was picked up on the side of the road. I found her leaning against the fence of a nearby property on my way home from Wal Mart. I hurried home as quickly as I could, crammed my groceries into their various cabinets, fridge, freezer, etc., grabbed my flashlight, and headed out towards where I saw her, somewhat expecting her to have moved on by then. She was still there, with the homeowners dog showing great interest in her. As I'm good buddies with this dog, (also a Great Pyrenees), I turned my attention to him as she was not going to allow me to touch her. Viola, it worked perfectly, she moved in close enough to let me pet her. At the last moment though, she realized that I was going to grab her, and she tried to bolt. At that point, I tackled her, and she simply plopped on her side and looked at me like, "OK, you win." I scooped her up and hauled her home. She was underweight, full of thorns, and when I had daylight to really check her out, was also injured on one front leg.

I loaded her into a crate, strapped it down in the back of the truck, and headed off to the vet. We got her checked out, cleaned up, and the leg treated. Then I saw her littermate on the way home - dead on the roadside. At that moment, I vowed that whoever owned her, would never see her again. She was 3 1/2 months old according to the vet when I found her. She'll be two this summer. Hopefully, she will finally be on the chart this year for the minimum acceptable weight for a Pyr. It's very hard to get a Pyr to gain weight, as their appetites are more in line with that of a sheltie after their first year.

As for squirrels, rabbits, and other small wild animals. I don't have a problem squashing one if it cannot be avoided. They are wild animals, under nobodies care. I still don't like running over them, but will not wreck a vehicle to avoid it.

When it comes to dogs though, I feel that they were a special gift bestowed upon us by God. IMO, people who choose to have a dog as a companion, have a responsibility to insure that the dog has a safe, happy, and healthy place to live - regardless of the cost. I still won't wreck a car if it comes to that decision. However, I WILL subject the owner to my wrath for their stupidity - after I know the condition of the dog.

14. AngelFish

AngelFish New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    speaking of dogs on the loose. When I got home last night I stopped at the mailbox. When I stepped out of my truck I looked down to see a Mini Schnauser standing next to my door. No tags, nothing. I understand we are in a gated community and the animals can't get that far. That being said, if I had hit that little dog, he would not have had a chance. People are so stupid when it comes to the care of their animals. Grrrrrrr...

:evil:

15. Batavier

Batavier Member

Darn, good thing the dog came out of it (almost) unurt, Wolfman.

I have never hit an animal with my car, apart from a pigeon. And once a small dog, luckily for the dog it was in a 30 km/h zone where I never drive more than 20 km/h because of children playing and that sort of thing. The owner of the dog wasn't paying attention and had let the dog wander off. It's against the law to have a dog unleashed within the town limits over here BTW.

Luckily the dog only suffered a small head wound, because I could break in time. I think I was more upset about it than the owner.

Grrr. I hate those people. Have a dog, or any pet, comes with repsonsibility. If you're not up to take that, don't take a pet.

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Another Mexico story:

Not far from my apartment was a house with a tiny fenced-in front yard. It was paved, and just big enough to park a car in, if they had had a car. Really just a driveway, the length of a car, with bars around it to keep thieves out. They kept a very large black dog there. Much too small a space. No room to run at all.

The dog barked furiously and jumped at the fence every time anyone passed, which was more or less constantly. But on the rare occasions when the gate was open the dog would stand quietly on the sidewalk and sniff the passersby without so much as showing a tooth.

17. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Wow! It must have had a law degree.

:mrgreen: