1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Free oil change _ No oil change

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by StingrayHawaii, Aug 17, 2014.

1. StingrayHawaii

StingrayHawaii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just took my new prius v in for the free maintenance at 5000 miles. They did the check list but said that the oil was synthetic and they only changed it at 10,000 miles? News to me!
    My maint light came on and the manual says oil change at 5000 miles. Noted that the dealer did enter they changed the oil in the service record on-line, but they told me that they did not change it or the filter till 10,000 What gives?

I thought I got the recommended maintenance which includes oil changed every 5K?

Anyone else getting ripped off on this?

I have numerous other vehicle and change them all at least every 5 K with synthetic oil in all of them!

2. Lee Bridges

Lee Bridges Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The standard practice for the service is to given a once over on the car & rotate tires at 5K, and do the oil/filter change at 10K. So they aren't doing anything to you they aren't doing to every other Prius v owner with the factory 2 years/25K miles package.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Aloha, Servco is not ripping you off. Go to the Toyota.com website and see their recommended maintenance intervals for 0w-20 conventional vs synthetic motor oil.

The service interval for synthetic oil is indeed 10k miles. They leave the oil maintenance reminder light at 5k because they want you to come in so they can check fluids, rotate your tires, etc.

SCH-I535

robertmaria likes this.
  4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you look at your service receipt I'm sure it doesn't say they changed the oil but rather they reset the oil maintenance reminder light. ;)

SCH-I535

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OP, another thing to consider is the Prius/v is different from a regular combustion engine only vehicle. The internal combustion engine in the Prius isn't running all the time, it's been estimated that it only runs about 50% of the time the car is On.

Therefore, it makes sense that the oil can go longer before being replaced. ;)

SCH-I535

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No rip off. Calm down

8. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You want a rip off, they didn't even rotate the tires on my car at the 5k service, just "inspected" them.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The friction I think is, under all the misunderstandings and freebies, the OP WANTS an oil change at 5000 miles. There's nothing wrong with that, that's a reasonable wish.

The problem comes in when it's not in line with the regular (US) service schedule, and it's part of the FREE package.

In his shoes? Calm down, read his manuals more carefully, and (if he wants) pay the extra for an "early" oil change.

FWIW, in Canada the regular oil change interval is still 5000 miles (8000 km) or 6 months. And there's no free service at the outset, which takes some of the pressure of the shop/customer relationship: you want something, you pay for it.

Just move to Canada? ;)

10. StingrayHawaii

StingrayHawaii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I am not upset, just disappointed. The most wear and initial break-in of the engine is where the oil change is the most important. I feel the first 5000 miles is an important oil change. Since I have to drive 30 miles each way just to go to the dealer, I was expecting more than just a maitenance check! Since I maintaine my air and fluids anyway, that was a waste of my time.

I am OK with 10K miles after that initial change! Wish they would put a little insulation in the wheel wells and better sound proofing. My 17 Toyo tire are very noisy!

Otherwise it is a really nice, versitile vehicle. Getting around 43 MPG on trips and 39-42 in everyday use.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Yeah, but these guys are not mind readers, lol. If you want the oil change, tell them. And be prepared to pay for the oil change, maybe $50 at the most.

I thoroughly agree with the 5000 mile interval, for every change. For starters, it's spec'd up here. That aside, I'm doing my own changes, it's basically every 6 months (time governs, low mileage).

A lot of people will argue it's overkill. They're probably right. But it's your car, cheap insurance, the oil is recycled, the filter is only the a paper element being changed.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I skipped the 'free' 5 k maintenance because so little was to be done. End of story. If I had thought an oil change was necessary at 5k due to severe driving I would have paid for it and not expected Toyota to take care of it since the maintenance routine is based on regular driving.

Says so in the agreement. The owner just has to read.

Is the maintenance schedule reasonable ? That is a very different question, and everybody has an opinion. My opinion is that Toyota made the car, they know about a gazillion times more about it than I do, and they have data to back up their decisions. More than good enough for me absent proof otherwise.

#12 SageBrush, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  13. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I had the oil changed at 1k and at 5k and the dealer just used the free ones I had under the service agreement . . . just a bit early. From then on I paid.

Why the 1k. Well I'm old school about new engines or freshly machined ones and the little bits that they can shed at first and want a clean fresh filter and oil to be circulating even if the engine runs only part of the time.

Oil absorbs water vapor and you want that re-vaporized so it can go out whatever recirculating system the Prius has and into the air intake.

Anyone done UOAs on a Prius?

14. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I also had the oil changed at 5000 miles. It used one of the free changes. Did you ask to have it changed?

15. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I also am ''old school'' and changed mine at 2,050 miles, before a 1,100 mile road trip. My plan now is to have it changed every 7,500 miles or so.

16. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Guess I am old school as well.

I used up my freebie changes in between cycle so that by the time I hit 16,000 kms, I had done 4 oil and filter changes.

Normally the oil change cycle up here is at 8,000 kms. More frequent that US requirements.

Also had the brake fluid system flushed and refilled after 36 months, including brake service to lube caliper pins/glides etc., and have changed the transaxle fluid twice now.

Likely as not no harm done by the dealer skipping it,..... but as it is my car, not theirs, I am happier to get it done sooner. FWIW I still use no oil at 100,000 kms now... but that is not unusual for these cars.

Roland

17. CreigMac

CreigMac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Its always interesting to read about oil change opinions. I have a 2008 Tundra with 148K miles with quite a bit of 8000 lb trailer towing behind it. Toyota recommends 10K change intervals with synthetic, I change at 15K intervals with oil analysis. I have yet to be advised to change my oil earlier, most times they say I have another 3K of useful oil life. I use 0-30 Castrol and whatever filter is on sale.