1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Frequently Changing Headlights - 2004 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wallymw, Mar 7, 2013.

1. wallymw

wallymw Happy Prius Owner in Mpls

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a 2004 Prius which I bought used in 2008. I had it for four years before I needed to change any headlights, now I've changed three headlights in the last two years. (Two on one side, one on the other). I've used rubber gloves when changing the bulbs each time as to not to get any oils on the bulbs. The bulbs were bought from different stores.

Could the frequent headlight issue be a symptom of something else?

Would appreciate any thoughts.
    Thanks!

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    First, are you buying high output bulbs as they are known to run hot and have short lives? Another possibility is that moisture has gotten into the housing and that can crack a hot bulb. A third possibility is that the inverter 12v charging circuit is putting out an excessive voltage (it should not be over 14v), but you can easily check that unlikely possibility.

I replaced the headlights once about two years ago as they were no longer at full brightness. No headlight failures to date on my 2004 Prius at 237k miles. I have had two tail lights burn out.

JeffD

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Jeff have to disagree with you on that one.

While I agree excessive voltage will cause early failure the gen2 Prius is capable of charging at 14.6 volts if the battery is low and many cars that use the same bulbs with alternators run at 15 volts without problems.

Checking bulbs with a bench power supply and amp meter to run them on dip beam at 55 watts shows they are designed to run at 14 volts 3.9 amps, the main beam at 4.3 amps to give 60 watts although labeled nominally at 12 volts.

Again I agree the so called brighter bulbs burn out faster.

John (Britprius)

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Brit,

If his Prius is charging at 14.6 volts, it is likely that the battery is toast anyways. I seldom see mine over 14v.

I was asking him to measure the charging voltage to eliminate the possibility that a failure mode was causing it to be excessive (15+).

JeffD

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Jeff give this a try. Press the start button then get the Prius into the mode for reading battery voltage either by switching the lights on and off or by doing the finger dance, press the button again and turn on the headlamps for 5 minutes turn them off. Then put your foot on the brake and press start again, I guaranty you will see 14.4 volts on the MFD. If you load the battery further you will see 14.6 and this will gradually drop as the battery charges to 13.8 volts. This does not need to be a battery in a poor state of health.

John (Britprius)

6. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If the bulbs you bought are made in China, they are of poor quality and burns out fast.
    I have been changing out these Chinese made bulbs every 4-5 month on my wife's car as they are on all the time as DRL.

7. wallymw

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks all. I ended up going back to the regular OEM light that Phillips makes, I had bought their higher end bulb that burned out so quickly. The higher end one looking at the bulb says 9003 SU 12V/60/55W while the original OEM bulb 9003 H4 is 12V 67/60W. Seems strange that the OEM one is 67/60 which I'm assuming means 67 for High Beam and the more expesive one looks like 60 for the high beam.
    Maybe Watts aren't aren't the only indication of brightness?

Getting to be a pro at changing the Prius bulbs now (down to 15mins), however I can't seem to figure out why the plastic bolt/snaps they have on the plastic cover have a phillips head type on them when turning them doesn't seem to do any good and they just seem to snap out by prying a flat head underneath them...however I've busted two of them now, so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Will keep you posted on how long this bulb lasts....tempted to just swap out the other one that is working so both are changed at the same time.

8. archae86

archae86 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One longshot possibility could be that is not really true that your bulbs are dying but rather that you have a faulty socket.

This actually happened to me on my 2002 Audi A4. Only when I was called on to replace the second bulb in the same position within a few months did I take the trouble to check the "bad" bulb both visually and with an ohm-meter. It was just fine.

On that particular Audi model, the headlight bulbs sit in their own socket inside the larger headlight fixture. At a ridiculously high price that was still much less than replacing the entire cluster, I was able to replace the offending socket and have had no trouble since.

In this specific case I doubt this is what is going on as the original poster seems careful enough not to have been fooled the way I was, but possibly someone else who comes across this thread in trying to diagnose their own problem may be helped.

9. wallymw

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Now the driver's side just went out two days after replacing the passenger side...urghhh should have bought two.

10. wallymw

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    BTW- Two of the bulbs were "brighter than OEM" bulbs, one was OEM. Now I've got one Phillips and one Sylvania. We'll see if brand matters.