1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

From no frills to bells & whistles. Now what?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Horsefeathers, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Horsefeathers

Horsefeathers Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    all. I just made what feels like a giant leap. I am a longtime Toyota lover. I just gave up my 2010 Corolla for a 2014 Prius. I loved that Corolla and meant to keep it forever. It was pretty no frills which was actually the appeal-- five speed, do it yourself windows and locks, just a very good, efficient car that got me from Point A to Point B. I specifically sought out such a simple car with as few gizmos and whatnots as possible just because that's the level of my tech savvy. Pretty much none.

But. Of course, there's a but. My business has really taken off and I am spending a lot more time in my car, not just Point A to Point B, but conducting a lot of business on the go and just general mobile busywork. Not that the Corolla wasn't a comfortable ride, but my car has become more like a mobile office and general hauler, and it had just gotten so that I could really benefit from the convenience of a lot of the fancy-pants options like push button doors instead of having to go around and unlock each one manually, one-handed driving, no-handed phone, that sort of thing. So I made the jump straight to Prius, and I feel like I'm in over my head. I'm so not tech savvy. I just picked it up yesterday. It's pretty nifty. Will I ever really figure out all this techno stuff? I have spent the last couple of days browsing this forum. It seems like y'all have covered everything, but sometimes even just reading some of this stuff seems overwhelming. I really can't emphasize my lack of tech savvy enough. A lot of friends and family have Priuses? Prii? Pri__? and every single person surveyed loved theirs and would buy one again. Sold.

So hi! And yay Prius! Cross fingers that I get the hang of this thing. I have been stomping for the clutch all day long. Old habits die hard. What happens when I forget to hit the parking button ("parking button" is such a foreign concept to me) and/or forget to turn it off and jump out? I am almost certain that that is going to happen. This thing is like learning to drive all over again. I can drive everything from tractor trailers to motorcycles, ha, but this feels out of my league with its fancy-pants push button touchy screen stuff.

2. Horsefeathers

Horsefeathers Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh! Because that post wasn't long enough :)rolleyes:), I meant to add that I drove for maximum mileage and was able to average 40 mpg in my plain old gas powered Corolla. Any way to use that as a gauge as to what I can expect out of the Prius? I have been obsessively reading the driving recommendations here, but I wondered what I could realistically expect if I am hyper vigilant. Because I will be. That mileage thing becomes like a game to me. A weird, obsessive game. Most of my driving is a combo of long stretches of open road and then some in town driving, no major hills which probably had a lot to do with me being able to maintain the 40 mpg average in the Corolla.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride! Learning keeps us young. :)

Just use the power button to park (e.g. you are leaving the car). That will automatically put it in park.

The Prius is sensitive to driving habits and the environment. You should top that 40 but hard to say how much. Will be interesting.

Horsefeathers likes this.
  4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Relax...
    I have the "No Frills" Prius. A Prius II.
    But with the possible exception of Toyota's Navigation system, the technology of a Prius is made to be very accessible and intuitive. Most of it? You just use.

And first the Smart Key System, Push Button Start, and all the information screens can seem overwhelming. But you'll settle into what screens you really like and use...I almost exclusively use the HSI, that's the screen that is mostly just a power/electric graph.

But Push Button Start/Stop. Smart Key System, and Blue Tooth Phone and other accessories aside, Basically you just drive it. In fact I would caution a new driver, to try NOT to pay too much attention to all the graphics, bells and whistles. You can find yourself dangerously distracted.

Read your owners manual...register at the Toyota Owners Website and hang out here. You'll learn what you need to learn...and also learn what you don't really need to know.

Most of all..just enjoy the automobile.

5. NuttyKat

NuttyKat Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new Prius! I stepped up to my 2023 Prius from a 2002 corolla last year. Same as you - crank windows, push locks, stick shift, and a cassette player. Awesome car that never needed anything more than routine maintenance. The Prius Ii I have now feels like a luxury car in comparison, and I am loving the technology upgrades. There should be a condensed version in your packet of manuals that gives you the immediate need to know stuff.

I have never disabled that annoying beep when the car is out into reverse, because I still want to put it into "1st gear", which is a bad idea when you want to go forward. I am getting amazing mileage in this car and I just drive it. With the weather balmy right now, I am getting 50-60 mpg. i don't try to hypermile, pulse snd glide, or anything else. Lots of folks on this forum who are brainiacs and very helpful. Enjoy,,

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  7. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five

You're from the future. :eek:

Congratulations Horsefeathers! Don't worry, your Prius will become second nature in no time.

8. NuttyKat

NuttyKat Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    LOL! I am typing on an iPad with a fat orange tabby editing my posts.

KennyGS likes this.
  9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just want to know one thing. Did Toyota abandon the flying buttress dash design in 2023?

10. Horsefeathers

Horsefeathers Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, all! I can't wait to pimp it out with the required accessories-- NPR, Coexist, and Greenpeace stickers, and a "Tree hugger on board" sign. Do I have to stop showering?

Totally poking fun at hippie stereotypes there. I do think I'm going to love the thing, though. The dealer synced up the car with my phone yesterday. I thought nothing else of it until my car rang today. Like, really, the car rang. That was... unexpected, ha.

Thanks so much for the welcomes and points to info. It is so nice to know that I can find out just about anything I need to know. Which is probably going to be a lot. At least I did not start a "my car is ringing; what does that mean?" thread.

11. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey, welcome to PC

Here's my long story: I bought my old Corolla DX Wagon back in 1993. The very best car I've ever owned, in terms of reliability, cheap to run, and stacks of room. Unfortunately New England winters do a job on Japanese steel, and poor old Pangur Bán failed his DMV inspection (rotted sills) and had to be euthanized, which was a shame, after 292k miles of trouble-free driving! Well, I changed the tyres a couple of times, and a clutch and an alternator, but right up to the end, old PB was returning 35+mpg around town, and 43mpg on a long run, and started first time every time! After not finding what I was looking for on Craig's-List, I eventually visited the local Toyota dealer where I'd bought the car 21 years ago, and found the very same salesman who sold me the Corolla still worked there! :eek: When he asked me what I was looking for I had him take a look out the window, and I pointed to PB and said "...something exactly like that, but with fewer miles on the clock!" He said the closest thing he could recommend, for space, economy and low-cost maintenance was a Prius - they had two in my price range, both with about 83k miles on the odometer (mere babies in the Toyota World!), grey with touring package, 16" wheels, HID plus fogs etc, and a pale-green (very nice colour) with nav. package (which I didn't need as I have a Garmin 276GPS) and Blu-Tooth (tried it and it didn't seem to work very well) and auto-dimming rear-view mirror (too much of a gimmick - I find the bar across the rear window to be perfect for shielding the un-dipped lights from behind). I ended up with the grey one, "ChuggyPig" as I've called it. Before I made the jump, I read all the reviews I could lay my hands on, discovered this amazing chat-board, and picked the brains of some of my friends who have Prii. I must add that I purchased the 5 year/60k miles extended warranty, and (so far) I'm delighted with the car; I'm getting 41 mpg around here (S. NH) and 48+ mpg on the only long run I've done in the past month. It's the nicest driving car I've ever owned, and it's so cool to run so silently and smooth when all the others around you are clattering and roaring around burning off all their testosterone (and gasoline!) ;) (To the OP: You want long posts? You've come to the right place! :rolleyes:
    (oh look! Here's a pic)

Attached Files:

12. Horsefeathers

Horsefeathers Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, then. It's been a month. This Prius is way more technically advanced than I'm capable of comprehending because I'm just not that tech savvy to begin with. Still, I. Love. This. Car. I was not sure I would because I'm more of a no or low frills kind of gal, and I was a little intimidated by all the computer wizardry and digital stuff, but I. Love. This. Car. I still tend to stomp for a clutch and reach for a shifter just because old habits die hard, and I still reach behind the seats to try to lock and unlock the back doors, but I'm getting there. It wasn't as difficult as I'd initially imagined trying to learn all the fancy-pants onboard gadgets and gizmos. I still don't understand all the displays regarding usage (5 minute what, now? graphs?), but I'm working on it. From the "stuff I never knew I wanted until I had it" files-- bluetoothing my phone with my car. My music and everything all in one place. It is still alarming when the car rings, though. The car rings. LOL still funny, a ringing car.

It has so much more room inside than it seems like it should. We hauled home a good-sized load of lumber in it last night. Along with the dog crates and some motorcycle gear. It's like a small truck. A small truck that I'm maintaining around 54 MPG with. Boom. We have an old '72 Chevy truck that is a fantastic workhorse and will haul about anything, but with the difference in mileage, I sure do think we're going to enjoy the Prius for hauling smaller loads. And in a/c because the truck doesn't have that. This must be what hitting the lottery feels like.

We are planning a three week cross country Prius-camping trip next year. I may live blog it because that seems like what you do these days. I. Love. This. Car. So, so glad I went Prius. It seems like the opposite of the kind of car I would like or find useful, especially considering how much time I spend on the road working and hauling and running around, but it is absolutely perfect. I'm thinking of adding a gun rack and some TruckNutz™ to go with some Coexist, Obama, and NPR stickers just to mess with some of the people who feel compelled to express their strong opinions over the type of car I drive. Thanks? It's just a car, people! Not a social or political statement!

ftl and spiderman like this.
  13. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Quick update on "ChuggyPig", did a round trip of 400+ miles this past weekend, almost 8 gallons of gas! 52+ mpg!!! Good luck with the x-country trip next year!

DROID4 ?

14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What a riot. :)