1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front and rear shocks and struts 2001 prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by in-surrey, Nov 20, 2014.

1. in-surrey

in-surrey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hi guys new member here, have been reading these forums for awhile and thanks to a lot of you learned how refurb my HV Battery, and how to troubleshoot a few codes since.

I currently own a 2014 Prius V wagon and 2001 Prius. I got back from the mechanic today, and need to change all 4 struts( I assume that means shocks as well?) he says they are the original!! 210 000k.

His quote to do all 4 was $1406. When asked If I would be able to do it he said I would need a spring compressor? and there is a good chance I could hurt myself so he suggested against it.

Do any of you have any tutorials or step by step instruction how to go about doing this? I would really like to save some money cause $1400 is a lot to dish out on a 13 year old car, for me anyway. Since fixing the battery myself I am feeling comfortable with learning to do it myself, plus a sense of pride of being able to do so.

Thanks in advance!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. vaughnstark777

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
  4. in-surrey

in-surrey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the responses guys. Patrick the info you linked will be valuable thanks!!

Vaughnstark, Wow!! that's really cheap, since you said you have ordered them how is the quality? How long should they last? Looking at the listing it shows 2 struts and 2 shocks for a set? So I should order a quantity of 2 to get 4 struts and 4 shocks?
    Sorry if its a dumb question just want to get my facts straight. Also are the shocks for the back and fronts the same?

5. in-surrey

in-surrey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Ok from the look of that listing the 2 on the left are the front shocks/struts and the 2 on the right are for the back..

6. in-surrey

in-surrey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry shamelss post to post a pic

[​IMG]

7. in-surrey

in-surrey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Ok just finished reading some tutorials, seems quite easy just time consuming and requiring a little muscle will post back with results!