1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front brakes wearing abnormally quickly??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by brndngrhm, Oct 2, 2014.

1. brndngrhm

brndngrhm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Took my Prius to the local dealer for 50,000 mile service and got a call that both of my front brake pads were worn below the limit and needed replacing. This surprised me as I have read here and elsewhere that some go 100,00+ miles before needed replacement. So I had them replaced and when I went to pick it up, asked them how much was left on the front brakes the last time I was in, which was for my 45,000 service. After looking it up, guy told me they measured 8mm in February, meaning I went from 8mm down to needing to be replaced in the span of like 9 months after driving 5,000 miles. Even the guy at the dealership seemed surprised when we looked it up. Has anyone else experienced this? Could there be some underlying issue causing abnormally fast break wear? I vaguely remember getting the brakes adjusted related to some TSB in the spring, could the mechanics at the dealer have messed something up when they did this? Thanks.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How was the wear? Even, ie: both inside and outside pads worn, and uniform across the surface? Just thinking maybe the caliper pins were seizing. Kinda soon for that though.

3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    it probably didn't need to be replaced,next time check the brake thickness yourself because the dealer told me the same thing when I had %80 thickness left

4. brndngrhm

brndngrhm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The guy I was talking to (front desk guy, not a mechanic) noted that both were worn evenly. He then said if there were some underlying cause, it would be unlikely that it would cause even wear to the pads on both wheels.

edit: after reading your post more closely - I didn't ask if the wear on the pads was even, so I'm not sure. Just know that the pads on both wheels were evenly worn. Also, if the caliper pins were seizing, would that have been obvious to them and need to be fixed? They didn't really give me a reason why the pads were worn, or mention anything else relating to the brakes needed to be replaced/adjusted. Thanks.

#4 brndngrhm, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, it's unlikely.

One thing you can do, after an extended drive, feel the hubs, or more directly, touch the disks themselves, reaching in between the spokes (if possible, we have the 17", easier maybe?). Be careful, they might be pretty hot. If normal they'll just be moderately warm. If super hot, indicates drag.

To verify remaining thickness, if you've got facility to take off a wheel, you can look through the opening in the caliper shoulder, and with a good light see the pad thickness, edge-on. Don't include the backing plate. Anything under 3 mm remaining I wouldn't hang around long before getting on it.

6. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Shops tend to try and get you to replace the pads a bit early, which might not be a bad thing, since a lot of people tend to procrastinate and drive them well PAST the recommended minimum and then are upset that they need rotors too.

If the minimum is 3 mm, the change recommendation might be 5 mm........so it is unlikely that you went from 8 mm to zero in 5K miles.

7. brndngrhm

brndngrhm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That makes sense that they would try and replace early, but they told me the pads were actually worn below the minimum.

8. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    They can TELL you anything. :)

I think "below the minimum" is MUCH more convincing that "approaching the minimum".

9. Starship_Enterprius

Starship_Enterprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Just curious what surface roads you regularly drive (rough/broken, regular, smooth), what brand of tires and psi you set it to, and what kind of MPG you normally get. Are your tires abnormally worn out too?

10. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm 90% sure they scammed you. you can't go from 8mm to needing new pads in 5k. So they lied to you at least once. But it really depends on how you drive. Most prius owners get over 100k without a problem. If you drive the car like you stole it you may need new pads at 50k.

11. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You got scammed.
    If the pads are worn beyond the minimum limit, you should have heard the scratching sound from the brake pads' limit indicator for quite awhile.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The minimum is 1mm, according to Toyota. But wear is never that uniform, and the pad's integrity is starting to decline any time you're nearing the minimum. Its not worth stalling.

That's why I threw out 3 mm. Kinda like not running your tires down to the wear bars.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm surprised they didn't replace the rotors. here in ma, they have to give you the old parts if you request them.

14. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The limit is 1mm per the repair manual, which is pretty low. Most people would suggest pads at 3mm.

I would ask for the old pads back for evidence.

15. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How does one adjust disc brakes?? :confused: Drums maybe, Disc ????

16. brndngrhm

brndngrhm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mostly city roads, which range anywhere from smooth to littered with potholes (that I try to avoid) to cobble-stone. Tires are whatever came on it when I bought it, PSI at 40 in the front, a little less in the rear. Avg mpg according to the dash in the summer ~52, ~45 in the winter. I know from reading on here that tends to overstate the true mpg, but the reading on the dash is all I rely on for an estimate. No mention of the tires being abnormally worn out.

haha i don't really know. To be honest the only thing I really know about cars is how to drive one. I just remember last time I took it in there being some service bulletin that had something to do with the brakes.

17. brndngrhm

brndngrhm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Guess the consensus here is they lied, which I'm now tending to agree with. Though if they were going to lie, it seems pretty bold to claim they went from 8mm to needing to be replaced so quickly. As for asking for the pads back, I thought about it - but if they are type of dealership to lie then I'm not sure I would I trust them to give me my pads back and not some other set that matches their claim.

18. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Talk with service manager or dealership manager. I would request a refund or at least get them to split the bill with you. Since it is documented at last service they were 8mm which is probably close to new pads. Almost impossible to go to 3mm or less in that time.

19. brndngrhm

brndngrhm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting update: found a Yelp review for the dealer where someone described a very similar situation:

"Took 2008 Prius in for Toyota recall work. Received a call from the service manager that the car badly needed front brakes and replacement of the regular (non-hybrid) water pump. I said my regular mechanic was doing an inspection later in the week so I would pass on the extra items. The $0 invoice however included a quote of close to $900 as their price if they were to do the two "required" repairs. Later that week my reliable and very honest mechanic replaced the water pump for $225. No need for front brakes for at least a year. Inspection, oil change, tire rotation and water pump for $370. What's wrong with this picture? Only use dealerships for free/recall work."

Sloane Toyota of Glenside - Glenside, PA | Yelp

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for the dealership heads up so others can avoid them.(y) i think the brake recall was for the edu which controls the abs or vsc. nothing to do with the physical brake components.