1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front bumper cover scratch... cost to fix?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by quantumslip, May 19, 2013.

1. quantumslip

quantumslip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So I scratched the front bumper of my 2010 Prius (right side) trying to back out of my parent's awkwardly placed garage... hopefully I won't make that mistake again.

Anyways, I was wondering:
    • Could I just get it repainted? If so how much for that?
    • If I need to get the whole front bumper cover replaced, how much would that cost? (Parts & Labor)
    • If I don't get it fixed, aside from it looking ugly, is there anything wrong with driving the car like this?
    Thanks for your replies!

Attached Files:

2. danvee

danvee Blizzard Brigadier

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can't really tell from that angle until you get all of the paint cleaned up.
    Get some Meguiar's Scratch-X or similar and put some time and elbow grease into it.
    It may not look so bad afterward.
    If there's no 'dent', there are guys who go to dealerships and can fill and touch up scratches.

All of this is based on your own tolerance.
    If it has to look like new, a body shop will have to remove and refinish the whole thing.
    May need filler on that edge, or you may need to get a new bumper.
    Last prices that I'd gotten were from $600-1000 a year or so back for a complete refinish/repaint in Blizzard Pearl.
    First, clean it up best as you can, then evaluate it yourself, and take it to a few body shops for estimates/courses of action.
    Could also hit eBay. Might get one in good condition, and even the right color.

3. quantumslip

quantumslip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ok, that's actually what my brother just said (with regards to cleaning it up). Not at home right now so I can't clean it right now. When I do so I'll post an update. Thanks!

4. danvee

danvee Blizzard Brigadier

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    FWIW, I always keep a 'kit' in my trunk/hatch.
    Some cloths, detailer, polish, scratch remover, etc.
    Please do post back. It may not be too bad, but that scraped area on the 'peaked' part concerns me.
    May be too much for a DIY.

5. quantumslip

quantumslip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I cleaned it off a little bit with water & a terry cloth... the nu finish my brother had in the garage was all dry so I will have to buy a new bottle.

DSC00867 (Large).JPG
    DSC00868 (Large).JPG
    (One without flash, one with. Nighttime now so lighting conditions not the same in the garage
    .)
    It looks a lot better than before. I think some of it will need to be repainted, though I may be able to do it myself. I know I can't get it to factory-level, but that's ok. Thoughts? What should be my next steps? Kind of new to this kind of stuff.

6. SFR-DSR-44

SFR-DSR-44 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    From the images it looks through the paint, not just in the clearcoat so I'm not sure the Scratch-X stuff will help.

There is some euro stuff that melts and blends the OEM paint. I forget the name (Flix, or something like that). Also, Dr.Colorchip helps to fill the scratch then comes with a method to blend it in a little. It won't look perfect, but better.