1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front & rear struts and shocks replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by vstypicals, Aug 29, 2013.

1. vstypicals

vstypicals Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I started hearing a faint clunking non-metallic knocking sound from the front right recently. I swapped the tires left to right and still had the same issue. I noticed that both front struts are shiny with some oil, but the front right was worse. I figured it's time to replace the original struts. While I'm doing the fronts, I should probably change the rears as well since I'm at 205k. My dust doot/covers are also torn in half..

My question is, which parts do I actually need to order/replace? Do struts come with the dust boots or do I also need to order those?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. vstypicals

vstypicals Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks. I think I'll just be replacing the fronts for now. Do these NEED to be replaced?
    • 48609-13010 Support Subassembly MSRP $87, Net $66 (need qty. 2)
    • 48158-47010 Front Coil Spring Insulator Lower MSRP $14, Net $10 (need qty. 2)
    • 48157-02070 Front Coil Spring Insulator Upper MSRP $21, Net $16 (need qty. 2)
    I understand the insulator/cushion needing to be replaced, but do the mounts really go bad?

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Insulator upper is aka dust boots.

I found at least one incident where the coil spring end wore a hole into the Insulator lower part at a much lower odometer reading than your car has logged.

The strut mounts need to pivot and are subject to wear. Especially since your odometer reading is 205K, for a complete job they should be replaced.

vstypicals likes this.
  5. vstypicals

vstypicals Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Doh. I didn't check Insulator Upper...just the Lower. I guess I'll change it all then. Thanks!

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check your cv joints too. If there the originals they are way overdue for a maintenance replacement. If any of the 4 boots are cracked or compromised they will fail rather quickly. Look for grease that's been thrown from a failed/cracked boot onto the chassis around the boot.

I would deal with the cv joints first as you can drive with worn out struts. You can't drive with a failed cv joint not to mention they are really dangerous when about to fail.

Good Luck.

7. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

8. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm attaching two T-SBs, one related to how much oil is abnormal on the struts and another for abnormal noise from the front of car. Also the parts diagrams for PRIUS 2007 Front and Rear Springs & Shock Absorbers. You just need to order the parts that are bad.

Attached Files:

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That service bulletin is very conservative in my opinion regarding when to change the struts/shocks based upon oil seepage. That makes sense from Toyota's view since the service bulletin will be used to determine whether parts need to be replaced under vehicle warranty.

However:

1. If you live in a hot area (like the desert Southwest for example) the oil will evaporate over a period of time, such as a few months. The oil is quite thin in viscosity.
    2. Even if you don't see visible seepage it is still quite possible that the suspension part is bad, but the part will need to be removed from the car to determine its condition ("bounce" test is a waste of time) - and by that point you'd might as well replace it.

10. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Anyone who's replaced shocks/struts noticed if the car rides higher after replacing? My Gen II seems to be riding lower than others.

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If confirmed via measurements, that would be a problem with the coil springs starting to sag and is possible once your odometer gets into the six digit range.

12. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok. Thanks! I'll measure all the neighbor's! :)

13. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick is correct. I replaced my struts and coil springs on my 2005 Prius in one shot last November and noticed a definite improvement in the ride. Car had logged about 160,000 miles when this was done

14. vstypicals

vstypicals Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My MPG seem to have taken a hit since I started hearing this clunking sound. It could just be a coincidence though, but my MPG have taken a small hit for sure.. ~2mpg.

UPDATE: Nevermind. I started driving like a granny again, and it shot back up to 50mpg.

15. vstypicals

vstypicals Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I'll check those as well. Thanks! Although I don't hear any clicking sounds. All I hear is a non-metallic knocking sound when going over uneven/bumpy roads.

16. robert mencl

robert mencl Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    No amount of oil seepage on a strut is acceptable, any visible oil means the o ring seals inside the strut are compromised. And, I would argue that, barring visible physical damage, any oil strut that has not yet leaked is still good regardless of mileage. There is nothing gained from replacing good used Japanese parts with new Chinese ones.

17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I disagree with the first sentence above, as it is quite possible for a strut or shock to be worn without obvious external appearance changes.

Regarding the second sentence, it would be best to replace worn used Japanese parts with new good Japanese parts.

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I disagree also. I replaced mine at 75k and noticed 100% better ride
    And especially replacing the top bearing made the steering feel effortless again. Struts only last about 75000 miles. They are a wear item.
    I checked my fronts after they were pulled out and they were shot.

This is a stiff little car. Blows my mind people can ride around at 200k miles on original struts. This car hits bumps like a hammer.