1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front speakers don't work

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by priuslt, Sep 27, 2014.

1. priuslt

priuslt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello,
    I've bought 2011 prius and found out that the front speakers (in the doors) don't work and all the other speakers work perfect. I took the radio out (without nav and without jbl) and checked if everything is connected. Everything was fine. I checked if the speakers were connected and removed the door panels to check it. Everything was fine again. What could be wrong? Are there any other connections I should check? Thanks!

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have you checked the connections at the dash speakers? If they are good and you have sound there, consider the bass blocker and it's solder connection . Also check the wiring physically and with a meter going from there to the door speakers (with the radio connectors off). The door frame connector and wiring going through the boot are also areas of suspect due to exposure.

3. GordonPL

GordonPL New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the very same problem. The dash tweeters are working and both rear speakers are working perfectly but the front door speakers don't work. I was hoping the problem was the speakers themselves but I've just replaced them with new Pioneer 6x9s and still nothing. I've pulled off the dash speakers and can't see any problems. If no-one responds with a clue to what's going on, I'm thinking of tapping into the rear speaker wires to power the front door speakers too. This means the fader will then provide the ability to balance between the front tweeters and the front door woofers - no bad thing. I'd be interested in your opinion about this work-around. Do you think I should disconnect the rear door speakers altogether so as not to put too much strain on the head unit or should it be capable of powering both font and rear speakers on the same circuit.

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Don’t put them on the same circuit. Paralleling the load will overload the amplifier. Only advice that I can give about finding the problem is to measure the speaker wires. Are they connected to ground? Is there break in some wire?

5. GordonPL

GordonPL New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Valde, I think it would be too much of a coincidence for the wires to be broken on both sides. I suspect there is a fault with the head unit. Unless someone can tell me what the problem is, I'll take your advice and disconnect the rear woofer and connect to the front door speakers instead. We don't have back seat passengers often and when we do they will still have the rear tweeters.

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes I don’t think its break in the wire either. Unless one has been off for long time. But maybe grounded wire. Maybe the amplifier chip shut of channels in pares if there’s a problem.

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Based on you depiction of rear "tweeters" (also called squawkers on the Prius) you likely have a JBL system. Linked below is the wiring diagram for that. My apologies and to correct my earlier advice with the OP as I noticed now they have a level III, yes check the wiring, but there is no base blocker at the front squakers unless you have the 6 speaker "base" radio. All speakers have a direct feed from the AMPs on the the rest (JBL and JBL w/NAV).

Attached Files: