1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Wipers 2008 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by tmorelli, Mar 4, 2014.

1. tmorelli

tmorelli New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just had my prius in for its 100k service, and now the wipers do not work. I am not sure if it had anything to do with whatever they do at the 100k check. It has been about a week since I got it back and the first time I tried to use them

As soon as I hit the power button they move about half an inch. I can probably power off and on over and over again and get them to move across the entire windshield, although they are now about 4 inches up.

I thought maybe the fuse was blown, so I took out what I thought was the wiper fuse (15A labeled WIP) under the driver side dash, and it was not blown. Interestingly enough, the wipers still jump when the power button is pressed and the fuse isnt installed

Any advice? I live 2 hours from the dealer and have never had an issue with anything on this car. Driving back to the dealer is a large ordeal for me so I'd like to fix this myself if anyone has any tips

Thanks!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To operate the wipers, it's not a button, but a lever. I must not be understanding what you are doing.

3. tmorelli

tmorelli New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your reply. I am pressing the power button that starts the entire car while the wiper lever is in the ON position.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The WIP fuse is 30A. The label is above the fuse.

You will probably find that the fuse is good. The problem may be with the wiper motor assembly or the combination switch on the steering column which controls the wipers.

5. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Can you hear the wiper motor continue to operate?

If you can hear the motor running while the wipers should be moving, I wonder if a nut came loose on a linkage or the motor. I had the nut on the drive link of the cantilevered wiper come loose and it stopped moving. After tightening the nut, all was fine again.

Hmm...the wipers moving without the fuse installed is a puzzle. Does it happen only once, maybe due to some capacitive storage?

6. redu

redu New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello everyone, my windshield wiper keeps wiping by itself when it’s cold outside. I ain’t touching the lever but it continue wiping. Thanks

7. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Are they going on low or high speed? What happens if you try to turn them on while they're going by them self? Low speed? High speed? Single wipe? Washer?