1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel filter change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sajjad Siddique, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Sajjad Siddique

Sajjad Siddique Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    can anybody tell me when it is recommended to change the fuel filter. I mean to say at what mileage it needs to be changed? Thanks

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Never. Its in the fuel tank.

3. Sajjad Siddique

Sajjad Siddique Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok but what if its get dirty by the time as a result of poor fuel /gas quality, which may leads to engine problem

4. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    on my other cars - it's been approx. 30k miles. or basically - once a year... give or take.
    but those were mounted on the frame rail near the gas tank - or firewall in engine bay depending on make and model.

on my new prius v2 ... I'm with you - no idea.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most manu's stopped installing an outboard filter long long long ago. A rare car that has a serviceable filter.
    Its a point of failure on the fuel rail.

Given the op's location it may be wise to rig up some sort of companion filter when the op is forced to buy gas at a questionable location. Or buy gas in plastic gas jugs...take them home and transfer from jug to car with a filter.
    Less velocity at work there than straight from a gas pump and a leak or gas loss on the ground is better at home than at a gas station. Plus you won't be so hurried.

I think you may have to drop the tank on an 07 to service the pump/filter.

6. JACoH

JACoH Enjoying the mileage

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Excellent idea to get an accessory fuel filter to install in-line, especially if the fuel available is questionable. Should be able to get at any good auto parts store.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Too late. Questionable fuel already has gone through gas tank filter.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If your car was originally produced for the North American market, then the fuel filter definitely is located within the fuel tank. If you need to replace the fuel filter then you would have to replace the entire fuel tank which includes the fuel pump and fuel gauge sensor.

If your car was produced for the European market, it has a different fuel tank. It may be possible to remove the fuel pump and fuel filter as separate components from the tank. You would have to go to the Toyota Europe website, find the techinfo link and subscribe to the site to download repair manual info.

9. greengecko

greengecko Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2004 Prius 120k is in the shop right now. Went in with a solid check engine light. Dealer says the fuel filter is ruined. I've been driving more backroads and small towns, must have gotten a bad tank of gas :(

$595 for the work including the $95 diagnostic fee.

Assuming the check engine warning is reliable, it might be okay to wait for it to come on rather than preemptively replacing the filter. (and maybe the fuel pump as well, sounded like on another thread that they might be a unit)

No more backroads gas for me.

10. GAM

GAM Australian Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Your fuel filter is serviceable. It is only the North American Continent Prius that is not. The US fuel tank is sealed with a bladder inside that holds the fuel. The Prius in the rest of the world gets a normal fuel tank, and the pump, filter, and fuel gauge mechanism can be removed and the filter cleaned.

John (Britprius)

12. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where is the filter located John?

I got my G2 last Sept and am a bit fan of preventative maintenance and have done a few routine items so far, oil, oil filter, pollen and air filters, ATF fluid etc and h ad forgotten about the fuel filter. Want to do it with the plugs and brake fluid in the next few weeks

13. GAM

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've just posted a thread on how to do it for a Gen III here -> Changing a GenIII Fuel Filter | PriusChat

Not sure if this translates for the Gen II but it is quite similar to a number of other Toyota models like Camrys, Corollas and Celicas.

14. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi tony. The filter is in the tank, so not easy to get at. The filter comes out with the fuel pump and fuel gauge sender unit. Not sure if the tank has to be removed or if there is an inspection plate under the rear seat as in the gen3. The complete unit part number is:- 77020-47041 pictured below.

John (Britprius)

GetImage.jpg

15. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cheers lads. I'll lft the rear seats and have look see. If not there, I'll check once it's up on the ramps. I always use branded petrol stations so should be ok, just no harm in changing it if it's an easy job

16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tony I think the filter is a fine plastic strainer that can be cleaned rather than a sealed filter.

John (Britprius)

17. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah ok, just had it my mind that it was a throwaway item.

It's more Like the one in the bottom of the dishwasher that fills with food then lol

18. GAM

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This looks similar to the Gen III filter. Therefore I suspect that the large canister is in fact a charcoal filter and this is the part that needs to be replaced as in the Gen III.

There is also a plastic strainer as John states which is just cleaned.

19. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again, just had a look at your thread for doing it on the Gen3 . Looks easy enough

20. Pttaylor9

Pttaylor9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know this thread is old, but I’m wondering if you know if the Gen 2 fuel pump can be replaced without removing the tank? Is it located in the back seat area behind the passenger seat?