1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel gauge stuck

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Silver bullit, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know there are tons of threads about this and I have been looking at them for an hour.
    Anyway the last time I got gas the shut off switch on the gas hose did not shut off. I was standing there and I shut it off immediately. There was some overflow.
    I have gone 170 miles since this fill up and the fuel gauge has not budged from totally full. I bought the car new and normally it would be down about half a tank by now.
    I disconnected the 12 v battery. After reconnecting it the fuel gauge still reads totally full. I know about the problems with the gen 2 fuel tank- bladder, fuel pump and other components inside the tank.
    I wouldn't be excited about getting a new fuel tank with only 43k miles.
    Any advice or help from the knowledgable people on this site would be appreciated.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would not worry about this yet. When the Prius 2G fuel tank is overfilled, typically this means that there are ~2 gallons more fluid than would be the case if you stopped filling soon after the gasoline station pump first clicks off.

So if you are getting 50 mpg, after 170 miles you've used up the 2 extra gallons and it is like you've driven only 70 miles since filling up.

If you drive another 100 miles and the fuel gauge stays at 10 bars then you might have a problem with the sending unit being stuck.

Silver bullit likes this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Concur.
    I roll a G3, but I think I'd wait about 150 more miles before I started pricing replacement tanks.
    Then again?
    If it were my car, I'd just use the trip odo and just refill the tank a little more often.

Good Luck!
    Let us know how it shakes out.

Silver bullit likes this.
  4. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update. One pip disappeared today after 210 miles. I never thought I would be glad when a pip disappeared. I will update later. Thank you Patrick Wong.