1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Qualitiies - Chevron - Arco - Sunoco - Shell

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by macreative, Sep 21, 2004.

1. macreative

macreative New Member

What do you personally believe (with or without scientific backup)?
    Is there any real difference between
    Shell
    Chevron
    Arco
    Sunoco
    ....and others?

I buy gas from VONS - because it's only $1.98 here in California (Right now, that's cheap in L.A.) and it's actually 3 cents cheaper with your Vons Savings card. 87 grade. Is this gas an okay choice? I believe that there is no reason it shouldn't be...

Is there any real difference in gasoline qulaities?
    I have heard that some companies (i.e. Arco) are prone to leaving more deposits in the engine, but I don't really believe that....

2. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I heard before,,, (Form past yr show at NBC Dateline i think)
    There is no different, because all gasoline manufacture uses same pipeline... But each manufacture will added own brand additive right before pumping to the delivery truck.
    Unless oil company has own delicated pipe line schduel to deliver the their product to delicated distribution location.
    Oh some cheap gas station added water too :roll:
    I uses to use Sunoco, then Mobile. Exxon/Mobile is bit expensive than Sunoco in NJ

3. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I vote for Chevron, because so far they are the only Major to support the Top Tier gas program.

Auto Manufacturers asked Gas Companies to increase the level of detergents in gasoline, because newer engines need more detergent, and the gas sompanies blew them off.

So, they set up their own Gas Standards and will award Top Tier branding to any Gas that meets them.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

http://www.chevrontexaco.com/news/press/20.../2004-06-17.asp

http://www.sfrcorp.com/notice.asp?NoticeID=4

4. macreative

macreative New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus\";p=\"40953)</div>
    Good Input! I wonder, do they add the Detergent to all grades of Chevron Gas or only the higher octanes?? Chevron sounds like a good replacement.

5. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

It has been shown time and again that there's no significant difference between gasolines, aside from the few misterious additives added at the very end of the process by some brands. The process of producing gasoline is highly uniformm so all brands are essentially the same.

This is particularly evident in Puerto Rico, where we have all the major brands but only one refinery. I use the chapest generic 87 octane fuel I can find--that's currently $1.66.

6. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I put another link in there explaining more.

The whole point of Top Tier is that all grades of fuel are required to have the top level of detergents.

The Oil Companies don't like it because that means they can't market Premium as being better for your engine because of detergency. They make much more profit on Premium :)

7. flyingprius

flyingprius New Member

Unlike the Shell Vpower which is only added to the premium (91 octane) gas, Chevron uses their Techron detergent in all grades of gasoline. However, Chevron puts more Techron in the premium gas---- I'm am not sure how much more though.
    I use only Chevron and Shell; I know everyone says that gas comes from the same pipe, but Shell and Chevron have better additives; my engine is cleaner and I get better gas mileage with those fuels.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think (no science here, just my personal opinion) that the Prius engine is the last engine in the world to require special gas or special anything else.

Since I don't especially care about the few cents difference, I go to the most convenient gas station. That's usually either the one closest to my house or the one at a particular major intersection a little farther away. I couldn't even tell you wich is cheaper, or how they compare to other stations in town. If there's a 5-cent difference, that's about 40 cents on a fill.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    in this area, there is no difference in the composition of unleaded regular across all brands.

premium level gas is unleaded regular with an additive package added at the distribution center for each different brand of gasoline. considering the markup for premium, it is one of the worst buys value-wise in the world.

realize that in the past 10 years the sheer variety of gas has been reduced by 70%. in fact there are several brands that have merged and are now shipped to the gas stations in the same truck. they have retained brand names in some cases for name familiarity.

also realize that 10 of the 20 largest oil companies merged into 3 supercompanies further combining brands that were once slightly different at the premium level.

10. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just a question.

If there is no difference between gasolines, why did the Auto Manufacturers feel the need to set up a program to get Gas Makers to meet a set of minimum acceptable standards for modern engines?

11. flyingprius

flyingprius New Member

I assume you are stating this about the Prius... Have you ever driven a sports car, or any car that requires 91 with 86/7 octane in it? It's a miserable idea. The manager at the dealership I worked at told me to put 86 in all VWs including the Passat/Jetta/Golf 1.8T Jetta/Golf/Passat V6, Passat W8, Touareg V6/V8, and even the Phaeton! The Passat W8 drove like a 2.0 Jetta.... I gave him a dirty look each time he handed me a fuel slip. How do expect to sell a customer a performance car that drives like a Civic?
    91 octane does have an important place in many engines; just not ours.

Chevron is the only fuel with a Tier One detergent: Techron.
    Technician after technician at work said that engines with Chevron gas have much cleaner fuel injectors and intake valves. I would say 4 out of 5 technicians at the dealership used Chevron...

Mememargret likes this.
  12. mycroft

mycroft New Member

As a reference point, the service department of the local Saturn dealer (my old car) thought that Arco was more likely to clog fuel injectors...

13. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Is Techron important for the Prius? 76 hp, 5000 rpms, never overheats, engine frequently off... evidently not. I'm using the cheapest generic gas I can find. :roll:

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the additives added to unleaded regular are reactant inhibitors. they cause the gas to burn slow and flash at a higher temperature.

the octane rating is the flashpoint rating. the higher the number, the hotter the spark must be to ignite an otherwise equal air fuel mixture.

the higher flashpoint enables high compression in warmed up engines as the higher compression creates a much hotter intake temperature.

to illustrate, higher compression is the same as taking a 2 million BTU heater and putting it in a room that is 12 by 12. it will be very warm very fast. take the same heater and put it in a room the size of a basketball court and you will be comfortable. well the only difference is the volume of air, the amount of energy input to that air is the same. that is why higher compression creates much higher manifold temperatures. if the octane rating is too low, you will get spontaneous combustion (gas igniting without the benefit of a spark) which obviously would not happen at the best time for proper engine operation. that is how and why you get pings. pings are simply partial fuel ignition when all the valves are closed and the engine is still on its compression stroke. besides not providing energy at the right time, it will make short work of your valves and seats.

15. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm on my third tank... like the wine I buy, I choose my gas by price... was at my favorite station today, not to buy gas... but Lottery tickets.. the owner came out, when I drove up.. was really interested in the Prius... until I showed her the consumption chart.. oops 50 mpg... she didn't even wish me luck when she gave me the lotto numbers...

Bob Andersen

16. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

I only got to Chevron. I just won't put anything else in. If I'm stranded I'll do 76, but only enough to get me to a Chevron station. And Always 91.

But then again... thats because I have a Bimmer. I'm sure I'll put chevron in the Prius but I won't make such a big deal. In my BMW I do notice a difference. Its not much.. but the 76 stuff is missing the little extra kick that allows the BMW to hall nice person when I drop it in to 2nd from 3rd.

Mememargret likes this.