1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Full power for DRL?

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by DKTVAV, Apr 28, 2015.

1. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I want to use HID for DRL but it needs full power to run, how to hack it?

2. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    All you need is a relay harness. BUT running the drl in full power during the day with HIDs will be blinding to people. So it's best not to do it. Plus when you want to flash people, day or night, it will take time to charge the HIDs

3. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Relays harness? I've read that it's not 12V for DRL so relays will help?

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, the high beam reflectors do not have any cutoff to limit glare. That's the main reason for running them at reduced intensity for DRLs.

5. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
  6. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    But the main question is:
    Can HIDs be run at less than full intensity?
    And I think the answer is NO.

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The only purpose of the HID DRL relay harness is for use on vehicles that use their lowbeams at reduced power for DRL function. This allows the lowbeams with aftermarket HIDs to operate at full power while in DRL mode. HIDs in the lowbeam projectors are OK for DRLs because they have a cutoff to prevent glare.

You want to use HIDs in the highbeams, which lack cutoffs as DRLs. It has been explained why this is a bad thing.

If you still want HID highbeams, then you should not be using them as DRLs. You should find an alternative DRL system like the webelectric DRL module that will use your turn signal bulbs for DRLs, or the Philips daylight DRLs.

8. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    HIDs cannot work at lower intensity .

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Was that directed at me? I know. That's why the HID DRL bypass relays exist, because HIDs cannot be operated at the reduced power that an oem system that uses lowbeams at reduced intensity have. Therefore, the relay is used to take power from the headlight circuit, whether it is a reduced power during DRL operation or full power, when the headlights are switched on, to switch full power to the HID ballasts at all times when the ignition is on and the parking brake is disengaged.

The OP is wanting to do the same on the highbeam circuit, but it's been explained that that would be a bad thing due to glare.

10. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I always think the glare from sunlight is much, much, much more than high beam that's why I want full power to use HID so people can see me. I'm thinking using ONE side only, not sure what side.

11. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I would just stick to having the stock DRL setup. Having one side full power hid is illegal and even running full power HIDs as DRL will be illegal. Why are you so eager to have such powerful DRLs? Just use your low beams all the time?

12. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You know when driving with the sun on your face even with sunglasses didn't help much, I'm on the opposite way and want people can see my car not only the sun.

13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You're going about it wrong. Blasting other drivers with HIDs so they can see you is counterproductive. HIDs at 4300k to 6000k are closer to the color temperature of sunlight than the 2000k to 2500k of your regular halogen bulbs illuminated at the lower voltage of the DRL circuit. They are more orange/yellow than white.

Notice how visible the cars that use amber colored DRLs are, like the older (GM), Corvettes, Cadillacs, etc? Even Hondas, which seem to use either lowbeam or highbeam halogen bulbs driven at much lower intensity, are very visible because the light is orange, not because they're super bright.

Stick with the regular 9005 halogen bulbs as DRLs. I've replaced my clear 9005 halogen bulbs with yellow halogen bulbs because I like the color of the reduced DRLs better (more yellow than orange). But as I mentioned above, the standard clear bulbs will give you the orange color for maximum visibility you want. ;)