1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fun Fun Fun at the Dealer: Engine Coolant Flush

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SageBrush, Mar 17, 2009.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I may have topped-off my radiator with the wrong coolant 6 months ago, so when I learned yesterday of possible consequences to mixing anti-freeze colors I decided to bring the car to the dealer for an engine coolant flush. The poor service tech had to suffer though my job interview and a lot of what I am sure were annoying questions from his perspective.

I take liberty at paraphrasing his answers. The conversation was actually a bit more cordial and diplomatic.

"Yes, I am certified to service hybrids."
    "OK, I'll flush the system, but you should flush the inverter plumbing too if you want it done the most completely possible."
    "No, I don't use a flush fluid ... yeah, it's more a drain and fill."
    "How about if I flush with SLLC?"
    "Yes, I'll drain the engine AND the coolant resevoir."

--three hours later--

"Used 3 gallons of SLLC"

--I drove away, and then came back because I could hear gurgling in the dash that I gather is incomplete air purging.

"I didn't hear anything with my test drive, but my hearing is poor."
    "We'll do the best we can, but without flushing the inverter some air is going to remain in the system because of a valve that links the two coolant loops."

-- 30 minutes later

"Expect gurgling for 2 or 3 driving cycles of engine heating/cooling. Return if the gurgling persists"

--Regarding the question of whether fluids were admixed--
    "The effluent was the same pink color as SLLC, a pH check was OK, and an infra-red probe of the radiator did not disclose any closed off areas, suggesting no harm to the radiator."

--I think the technician Mark went out of his way to allay my worries if he did what he said. Was he right that the engine and inverter coolant loops are connected ? I find that very hard to believe, and perhaps made a bit of a fool of myself by confidently saying "no, they are not." In fact, I refuted that statement three times. Normally I would not contradict a technician or a service rep, but I wanted them to think I was not a customer they could BS, but was not sure enough to demand a different technician.

Entertainment courtesy of American Toyota in Albuquerque.

Questions: who is right regarding the inverter/engine circuits ?
    2. Was fair advice given about the residual air ?

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Prius can be difficult to fully bleed the air out of.

I checked my All Data and it does appear the inverter and engine are separate loops.

For the engine, you're supposed to use the Toyota scantool to command the coolant transfer pump to run, to assist in bleeding air

The inverter loop is easier to bleed. The shop manual suggests running a clear plastic hose from the inverter bleed screw into the inverter coolant tank. Slowly add coolant to the inverter tank until the coolant in the clear plastic tube matches the level in the tank

This is the old fashioned way of making a level

For the inverter, the manual suggests a few power on/ power off cycles until the pump noise is smooth. The manual also states the pump may sound very rough at first, as air is forced out

Regarding chemical flushing, there are machines out there that will inject cleaning solution and soft water into the cooling system to remove rust, scale, etc, then properly refill with fresh premixed coolant

These machines are pretty expensive though. It's like transmission fluid exchange machines, most dealerships don't have them. For a conventional automatic, they'll at most do a pan drop. If the trans fails, they see $$$.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you Jay. Is there a chance that the residual air will bleed out with a couple of days of driving ?

My ignorant guess is no in the winter. Looking forward to the correct answer :)

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It ought to go faster in winter, assuming that you use the cabin heat, because then the heater core gets circulated also. Top off as needed, obviously using only the correct Toyota fluid.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hopefully. Keep an eye on the level in the coolant tank

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The inverter/transaxle coolant loop is definitely separate from the engine coolant loop.

My post #6 in the following string explains a DIY method to purge air out of the engine coolant loop. Persistence is required especially with 2G NA vehicles that have the coolant heat recovery canister and the pump that only runs at startup and shutdown.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/care-maintenance-troubleshooting/58814-preventative-maintenance.html

Since the 2G maintenance schedule indicates that the first coolant service is at 100K miles, my guess is that most Prius techs don't have much experience performing this service on 2G. How else to explain why so many posters report air in the engine coolant system after having this work done at a Toyota dealership.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There simply is no reason to return a car to the customer scratching your head wondering if you got all the air out of the radiator when there's so many tools available to do just that:

MityVac - Automotive Vacuum Pump Kits - Radiator Adapters - Cooling System & Pressure Testers Kit - Fluid Evacuator

I cannot believe there's a Toyota dealer on the planet that doesn't have one of these tools. This ain't rocket science. Unfortunately your dealer failed that test on a very simple procedure and I would not let them get my hands on my Prius again. They just simply suck.

Now your car. Backyard fix is to elevate the front of the car..jack it up....take the rad cap off and let it run for a while with the heater on. Eventually the air will will forced out by gravity. Its the height of the motor above the rad that airlocks you.
    Good luck.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's a problem with a lot of newer vehicles in that with the vehicle on level ground, the motor is a bit higher than the radiator. Almost impossible to properly bleed the Old Fashioned Way

Yep, there are tools that assist with bleeding air. Scary to realize that a Hybrid "certified" Toyota dealership can't figure this one out

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    DH never used a vacuum refill tool on a prius either. he's got one, just never put it on a prius.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the advice everybody. Since I have to pick up a gallon of SLLC for top-offs, I'll sit down with a jug of blue and red anti-freeze to see what admixture ratio leads to an eyeball discernible color change. This will not be accurate for a host of reasons, but I think useful information nonetheless.

I had little confidence in the Toyota dealer garages before today; needless to say it is no better now. The irony is all this is that the worry of residual air is in part what prompted me to take the car to the dealer rather than DIY. After sleeping on the question of how best to flush the tri-part component engine coolant system and thinking about Ed's remark that differing heights of the components is a large part of the difficulty, I wonder if flushing or filling should be done in order: Close the two lowest drains first.
    If the mechanic left all three drains open during the flushing, I wonder how much he flushed past the radiator.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Ed.

I'm perseverating again ...
    I understand that an air pocket can accumulate in higher parts of the plumbing, but those are not circulating, correct ? I'm confused how circulating air is not trapped in the radiator overflow bottle.

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The capacity of the NA 2G engine coolant system is ~9 qt. However after opening all three drains I was able to get 6 qt out. If you refill with SLLC, run the engine for a while, then drain the coolant out again, this will replace ~90% of the original coolant. Since you were charged for 3 gallons of coolant, my guess is that your tech used a similar process.

I don't think you would want to flush using water, because if you did so you'd end up with a substantial amount of water in the system at the end of the day (since SLLC is premixed with water.)

To encourage coolant flow and get air out of the system, it is helpful to rev up the engine (speed is limited to 2,500 rpm in inspection mode) and to open the vent on top of the radiator (near the driver's side.)

Yes, you might think that the dealer techs should be able to do a better job than a DIYer since they have access to the correct equipment and training. The difference is that the DIYer presumably cares about the vehicle in question and is motivated to do a first-class job since his/her personal safety depends upon that work. Sometimes its not obvious that the dealer techs possess a similar degree of motivation.

13. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Last paragraph: Exactly to the point

14. Sequestre

Sequestre TLV (Toyota Loyalist Veteran)

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here is the tool I use and is used by many shops to bleed the air from the radiator. You will also need an air compressor to provide the air for the tool.http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B0002SRH5G?tag=priuschatcom-20