1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Funny alarm on 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ph47mf, Apr 29, 2013.

1. ph47mf

ph47mf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi

I play football (or soccer) every Thursday and I park my car in the external car park as normal and the alarm almost always go off a few times whilst I play. I have investigated and it doesn't seem to be the boot, windows or any intruders. It's fine other days of the week, it doesn't go off when on my driveway etc.

I asked a friend and he said it would be very hard to diagnose and he thinks an alarm on one of the cars in the car park on Thursday could have similar frequencies as my alarm, so for example if that person uses the remote it somehow triggers my alarm too. Do you think it is possible so it's just a random thing and I shouldn't worry about it or do you think it's something else?

Thanks in advance

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Please run the test at Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat after the car has sat MANY hours or overnight (or you can use a voltmeter). Please tell us the 3 values (not just 1). Don't go changing the battery first until you tell us the values...

If you have HIDs, you can avoid unnecessary cycles on the lights by toggling between off and parking light positions.

Weird stuff can start happening w/a low or bad 12 volt. Don't waste $ on having a dealer "test" the 12 volt (07 Prius Dead - Any Guesses? | PriusChat). If you're on the original 12 volt, it's likely at end of life now.

3. ph47mf

ph47mf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I will try this when I finish work.

However my 12V was changed a few months ago and it's just really weird to happen on one day of the week.

4. ph47mf

ph47mf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An update.

I did the test and the readings are follow:

• After choosing vehicle checking signal it reads 12.3V (0.1 lower than the range on that link)
    • after pressing power button - 12v
    • after charging - 14v
    does that look ok?

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    If the car was left overnight before taking the readings, that looks ok.

6. ph47mf

ph47mf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so if it wasn't the battery, would you think the clash of frequency might be the culprit?

trying to source the alarm problem can be very time consuming, i would want to sure there is nothing for me to do before i call in the auto-electricians who by the way charge just a tad too high. :(