1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Galaxy s4 tethering detected ruins bluetooth connection

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by lmmurphy80, Apr 7, 2014.

1. lmmurphy80

lmmurphy80 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had a Samsung Galaxy s4 that gave me the message tethering detected and then the only way to get my phone to connect via bluetooth again was to delete the phone from the car and re-establish the connection which only worked until the signal popped up again. I called US Cellular and they thought it was the phone so I chose to get a refurbished s4 over having work done on my phone. I had that phone hooked up and working well for about 1 month and now the second phone is doing it. The message last popped up while I was in my office across the street from the Prius. I'm guessing it's either a s4 issue or a US Cellular issue being it happens in and out of the car, but US Cellular is convinced it's my car. Any thoughts? I'm thinking about switching to an iPhone because this is only one of the many things I hate about Samsung galaxies. On that note, any better l luck using the iPhone 5c or 4s for music and phone?

2. Seanzky

Seanzky Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's an incompatibility with the A2DP. The Prius' Bluetooth is very demanding. In that one connection/pipe, it makes room so it can push through for phone audio, music audio, and internet. I don't know how well the iPhones handle this, but hopefully someone here with one can chime in.

With my experience using my Samsung Galaxy S3 (hacked to the teeth), the rom I'm using seems to error/FC (force close) a lot, causing the Bluetooth to restart on my phone. The car tries to reconnect again, it connects, and then it FC's again. The only fix for this is for Samsung (or maybe Broadcom) to update their drivers. In the meantime, my workaround is to just leave alone the FC error that pops up. The connection from car to phone stays live and only when I hit the OK button to remove the error will the Bluetooth on my phone restart.

3. lmmurphy80

lmmurphy80 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is there a way to keep the prius from connecting to my phone's Internet. There's no good reason it should be doing this in the first place. I'm using it for music and phone, not Internet. The nav system does work without the phone in the car or on so it really shouldn't be using my phone's Internet. This is exactly what us cellular said was happening- the car pulling Internet is the tethering being detected

4. Seanzky

Seanzky Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sure you can. Just go to the Bluetooth menu, select your phone and touch the "disconnect from internet". It doesn't (shouldn't) connect to the internet automatically, just the phone and music. I only connect to the internet when I need my navigation to have traffic (green, red, yellow lines for traffic), check traffic, check weather, Bing, etc. Otherwise, it's off by default.

I don't even know if there are enough complaints to Samsung for them to push out an OTA update (firmware and/or drivers) to fix this.

5. lmmurphy80

lmmurphy80 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I can't find where to do this. I have a 2010 with nav

SCH-R970 ?

6. Seanzky

Seanzky Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For me, it's in the "car" menu I believe? Or is it the "setup" menu. I can't remember.

7. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    2010 doesn't use internet. I have no problem enabling tether on my S4 whiling streaming music through bluetooth. I have unlocked T-Mobile S4 on AT&T network.

8. lmmurphy80

lmmurphy80 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The thing is in not tethering so I really shouldn't be getting the tethering message on my phone right?

SCH-R970 ?