1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas didn't shut off- Overflow!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by harper42, Oct 27, 2006.

1. harper42

harper42 Member

Filled up the tank and was surprised it was taking more than the usual 9 gallons. Kept going and going to about 9.7 and I quit. When I took out the hose, gas started flowing out of my gas tank....flowing and flowing. I waited till it quit, then put on the gas cap. Seems like I recall reading on the forum of someone having problems after topping off their tank. What kind of monster might I have created now?

2. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Oct 27 2006, 12:25 PM) [snapback]339366[/snapback]</div>
    I assume that when you say you "Kept going and going to about 9.7 and I quit", that you are saying that you kept clicking and topping off untill you got to 9.7 gallons.

If that is so, then basically you made a water balloon. The gas tank has an expandable bladder in it and you over filled it. So, just like a balloon full of water, it squirted the excess back out.

3. harper42

harper42 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Oct 27 2006, 09:30 AM) [snapback]339374[/snapback]</div>
    WRONG! I make a point of NOT topping off. But the gas pump wasn't clicking off...... or I would have quit! It just kept filling, and I got nervous about it at around 9.7 gal. and quit filling.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    As for causing problems, I have filled my "newer" vehicles until the filler neck is full of fuel for 20 years now. It has never harmed the "carbon canister" or anything else.

There is a lot of myth propagated on the Internet!

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    if nothing else, i would have gone in to the store and complained about the auto-off feature not working. Made sure you got your name "on the books" so to speak, so if there are any problems you can try to nail the station for the costs...

6. SaintStephen

SaintStephen New Member

AAh, but does your newer car have a rubber type bladder in it? From what I can tell from station to station there is a difference in the amount of fuel I can put into my tank. Makes me sad that my local shell station went belly up, I could drive to one pump that would lean the left rear up in the air a tad, and the pumps were slow enough, and had enough back pressure for me to get close to the 11.8 gln limit. Risky running 'er so low, but it really was a 'local' station.

ss

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Oct 27 2006, 12:35 PM) [snapback]339381[/snapback]</div>
    It's a bad auto-shutoff on the pump. Don't use that pump again until they get it fixed. I've had this same problem many times before on autos without the Prius bladder.

Tom

8. SiliconAddict

SiliconAddict New Member

I had this happen to me yesterday. I immediately drove the car around for half an hour. Hopefully it burned off enough of the gas to bring it to a reasonable level. Pretty pissed. <_<

9. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Oct 27 2006, 12:25 PM) [snapback]339366[/snapback]</div>
    That happened to me once. Its a faulty nozzle on the pump and nothing really to do with the Prius per-se. If anything the Prius is known for being MORE sensitive to shutoff than other cars so I suspect people besides Priusites were having trouble at that pump.

Like you, I noticed that I had put in more than expected, shut it off manually and pulled the nozzle out, and it started burping. However, I immediately slapped the gas cap on trapping as much gas as possible :)

I have no idea how much fuel I really lost between what wound up on the ground and what was sucked back into the underground via the nozzle return, but it was a pretty crappy tank mileage wise.

I still have 'problems' topping off the tank, if topping off means getting in 11.9 gallons. My average fillup before the fuel filler neck TSB was about 6 gallons. Now I can get in 7-1/2 to 8 gallons per fill.

10. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My experience is similar to Tempus. I usually fill at one 'non-blinking' pip with 7½ to 8½ gallons. I do add fuel after the first 'click' after removing the nozzle to relieve pressure. Never had an overflow.

I am not concerned with some 'pride' in pumping 'more gallons' in than other Prius drivers.

11. quagmire0

quagmire0 New Member

Welcome to the exciting world of Prius ownership!

First tank, I pump slowly and carefully - no problem.
    Second tank, wife pumps regularly........no problem.
    Third tank, wife gets cocky, leaves pump unattended......overflow! :D

Watch da pump!

12. chimohio

chimohio New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Oct 27 2006, 03:00 PM) [snapback]339520[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto - my average fill up is in the same range. I try to estimate how much I need from my MFD and go from there. Never a problem.

13. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It happened to me too, Dulcimer. I get this on my motorcycles too . . . some pumps seem to either be full capacity on or just plain off. With the bikes, you try to just ease the fuel in until the auto shutoff clicks, but sometimes it is flowing so fast that it splashes up and shuts the thing off after a half gallon or so. But I think with my Prius, it was an auto shutoff failure. Gas really did gush out, though!

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Oct 27 2006, 11:59 AM) [snapback]339457[/snapback]</div>
    Most likely.

That's relatively easy to confirm too. Just check for the nozzle date. It is likely older than any of the others at the same station, since they are routinely replaced due to wear and safety requirements.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Oct 27 2006, 10:36 AM) [snapback]339382[/snapback]</div>
    Consider yourself lucky then. My parents bought a rental Corolla and the canister had to be replaced at just a little over 30,000 miles. Routine overfill by the rental place is the only thing we think of that would cause failure so quickly.

Also, kind in mind how nozzles vary by region. Different areas of the country have different equipment. So it makes a lot of sense that some work better than others.

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Oct 27 2006, 12:36 PM) [snapback]339382[/snapback]</div>
    You may not have damaged it yet, but by saturating it with liquid gasoline you're certainly making it useless. Did you buy a hybrid to *increase* air pollution? If not, then you should not top off.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Our So. Cal. South O.C. costco is notorious for shut-off pump bad adjustment. Being made aware of the bladder balooning phenomena, it's wise to keep in mind how many gallons one has left prior to beginning refuel. Regular tank equalls instant splash back when the auto shut off is on the fritz. Bladders wait 'till you pull the nozzle out before splashing back.

Bladder splash back happend only once to me. Being a cheep sucker, I quickly slamed the gas cap back on. Probably saved a gallon :^)

17. RonMc5

RonMc5 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I had that happen to me decades ago at Costco, and it was bacause I had the nozzle in sideways. The automatic shutoff works well when the handle is straight up and down.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    11 year old thread? hill must be having a senior moment. ah, i know them well.:p

19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hill and Ron Mc same guy?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime