1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas engine problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nandersizzle, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Nandersizzle

Nandersizzle New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yesterday, while at the store. I started my 2004 prius and the engine was making some crazy knocking noises. I went to auto zone and pulled the codes. It said random cylinder misfire and misfire on cyinders 2,3, and 4. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks.

Nick

I'll be looking through the below pdf for now.

Attached Files:

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Knocking is very ominous in this engine. Random misfire is not good as its a systematic failure not a particular cop or plug. It's seeing a timing error between crankshaft and cams.

Many posts with lower internal engine failure primarily spun rod bearings.
    Usually evidenced by loud knocking from bottom of engine. A few have thrown rods through the block side but these were cars the owners continued to drive while loud knocking. These engines posted were at 150K miles plus and have seen extreme duty and poor maintenance. Nothing particular to this engine platform just plumb worn out. A few Youtubes on some I believe.

So let's begin the twenty questions. How many miles, whats the maintenance history and did you just buy the car?