1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas prices likely to jump?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Mar 5, 2006.

?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Unknown

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Ok, quick and dirty:

Some respected economists/business leaders are tossing around $4-5/gallon coming up quick, due to a variety of factors, Chinese/Asian fuel demands going through the roof, the impending Iranian nuclear crisis, the second largest oil field in the world is on the down, etc., etc., etc..

Do you think, gas prices will surge beyond their highs of last year within the coming months?

Personally, I voted "unknown", but I'm tempted to vote "yes", as there doesn't seem to be any mitigating factors, only aggravating. However, since ANYTHING can happen, and I don't like making concrete assumptions, I had to be a little less definitive.

Although I will sum it up as such:

I would wait another year before trading in the Prius for the latest and greatest F150... :D

2. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I believe that the gas companies will screw us to the wall in any way possible. I am always surprised that we do not pay more like the European countries do.

I bought my Prius for more reasons than gas mileage so I intend to keep it for a long while...maybe 200,000+ like someone else here ;)

3. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When have gas prices ever gone down and stayed there. They got us trained to think $2.00 gas is good now. <_<

4. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure it will go up, but I think there are still too many unknowns to be able to say it will spike. Voted unknown.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In Europe, taxes are added on and the money is used to mitigate pollution, develop alternative energy, and other stuff. (I'm sure someone has more details on how the money is used than I have.)

In America, the Oil companies receive all sorts of subsidies from the Federal Government. I'm sure some of them keep the price lower than in Europe. But that doesn't mean they aren't artificially raising the price of gas. As I said in another thread, Big Oil did a study to find out how much Americans would pay before there was a massive revolt. The study showed $5 a gallon. So that's their target. Gradually over a few years, raise the price of gas to $5 a gallon.