1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Prices to Jump - Good News for Hybrid Sales

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by eheath, Mar 18, 2012.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From priustexasbobs gas station encounter ... the F150 driver thinks higher demand for gas would lead to lower prices ??? That guy might as well stand on his head, he's completely upside down on the issue. Higher demand leads to higher prices.

Cwerdna, from the eia link... <edited for mistake>

No wonder we want middle east oil - costs half to produce compared to here

How much does it cost to produce crude oil and natural gas? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

:rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  2. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I say exactly the same thing about the mainstream media other than FOX! Just oppsite sides of the same coin.....but their news reporting is so obviously slanted!!!

1 person likes this.
  3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    2 people like this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My understanding (DYergin interview) oil cost is rising because USA is requesting boycott of Iran oil starting summer 2012. So that's what we are looking at.

In my area, costs are really skyrocketing (my preception anyway) I assume due to the shut down of so many Northeast refineries.

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    +1
    I've got to agree here. I would like it to go forward in as environmentally sensitive manner as possible. I'd love it if it came in a bill with removal of oil subsidies, and a slowly increasing tax for all oil no matter its source.
    I'm not sure how one thing has anything to do with the other. I would rather not be subject to opec oil blackmail. Today its some folks in iran that would like nukes and others in sudan want to commit genocide. Let's decouple the foreign policy from the oil. Tomorrow we don't know what crisis over there will force us to export more of our dollars to bad regimes.

6. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is there any reason to believe a single drop of the oil from that pipeline would ever make it into American gas tanks?

1 person likes this.
  7. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Economics:D Politics:D Good business:D

Is there something you know that we don't that would change those 3 things?

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My hunch is that Obama will approve the pipeline before the election, as part of his emerging "all of the above" energy strategy. Bill Clinton is already saying to embrace it. I could be surprised, but if Obama approves it, he is going to get a lot of independent voters back on his side.

9. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    FYI, About a week ago there was a bill in the Senate to approve the Keystone XL pipeline. It failed to pass by a couple of votes. The day before the vote, Obama personally called a number of Senators and encouraged them to vote against the project.

I heard this from a number of news sources including Reuters -- "Some Democratic senators have spoken in support of TransCanada's pipeline in the past. Obama has called some Democratic senators to ensure they would vote against the Republican plan, a White House official said."

Keith

10. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Right now the U.S. is exporting oil and gas that was drilled here, refined here, for sale in countries (China, India etc.) that provide a greater profit for the oil companies. The oil sand sludge this pipe will carry is more expensive to refine than typical crude, thus even more incentive for Big Oil to sell it where they get top dollar.

11. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It was completely irresponsible of the Republicans to force him to decide in 60 days. No decent human being should allow such a large project to get ramrodded through without thorough review. Personally, there are three things about it that smell really fishy:
    1) It travels underground directly over an aquifer that provides drinking water to 3 million people. That is very dangerous.
    2) It sends the oil to a port. You don't put Canadian oil on a boat for US consumption, you pipe the oil to a refinery (as the Keystone pipeline does today), then you truck the refined product.
    3) The biggest benefactors in this will be the Koch Brothers.

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know, but Obama probably has his own plans and schedule.

13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The US is a big net importer of Oil, not an exporter. Exporting coke and diesel has been long term as this is the cheapest way to refine gasoline. Recently with lower demand of gasoline, refiners have been able to export gasoline because of excess refinery capacity. This capacity is in the process of being eliminated, and north east refineries are being shut down. If there is an oil shortage triggered by events in the middle east, and absent a repeat of the bad Nixon price freeze, the oil will be used here first.

The pipeline would cause more investment in heavy refining on the gulf coast where much of it already exists.

14. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry to disagree with you, but the Keystone XL project has been around for a couple of years. The Executive Branch was well aware of this project and had many months to start reviewing the project before the 60 day clock started.
    1) There are thousands of miles of operational pipelines in the United States today. Yes there is some danger, but to imply that this pipeline is "very dangerous" compared to the rest of the pipeline system is a gross exaggeration.
    2) The Keystone XL pipeline does not just send Canadian oil to a port. It connects it to the existing pipeline system which includes refineries (not just ports).
    3) The biggest benefactors of this pipeline are the American people (especially if there are problems around the world with a reduction in the oil supply). Canada is our #1 supplier of "foreign oil" and is our closest trusted ally. It is in our best interest to do business with Canada vs. some other unstable country.

Keith

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I hear you Rebound. As per AG, if approved, it has to be done in eco-sound manner. If Obama approves, it is because the aquifer problems can be addressed or managed. As far as world market issues, I do not have the answers.

16. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, the pipeline will be perfectly safe, built and maintained to the highest engineering standards the oil industry is so well known for! And they have the best interests of the American people at heart as always, they desperately want us to have cheap gas even if it means refusing high profits! Trust them, America!

2 people like this.
  17. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You are welcome to your conspiracy theories, but not building the pipeline primarily helps Opec, and hurts american and canadian interests. If you trust Saudi Arabia and Iran to do things in your best interests, you need to read what they actually say.

Obama is going to be in Cushings, Ok on thursday talking about part of the pipeline. I hope his all of the above changes to he wants the pipeline to built in a safe way, instead of siding with OPEC against Americas interests.

18. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No conspiracy theory, just based on a long history of the industry, which is why I drive a Prius in an attempt to buy as little of their product as possible! We need to get off oil, OPEC's, Canada's, everyone's!

3 people like this.
  19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We gotta try, but oil, tar sands, etc... is the source for so many things - plastics, jet fuel, on and on.

fyi
    "Total U.S. electricity-related emissions of greenhouse gases in 2009 were 2,291.8 million metric tons (MMT) of carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2e), or about 35% of total U.S. greenhouse gas emissions."

... which is more than for transpo sector which is about 33% iirc.

http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=77&t=11
    Electricity and the Environment - Energy Explained, Your Guide To Understanding Energy

20. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's unfortunate people still think the US government can do much more than pee on the bonfire. This is a globally traded commodity and this is the richest country on earth; ergo, high fuel prices hurt everybody else more than us here. If the US magically cranked up output by a few million barrels a day prices would drop a little bit but the rest of the world would indeed take up the slack.

Refining capacity, speculation etc. are all impacts, but the foundation of high gas prices is high oil and that is because the world's demand is increasing quicker than its supply. It is that simple.

1 person likes this.