1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

(Gearlog) Car Review: 2010 Toyota Prius Tops 50 mpg (Easily)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The new Toyota Prius delivers on its promise: better than 50 mpg in everyday driving. I found it was easy to beat 50 mpg in a mixture of city and highway driving and approach 60 mpg in suburban driving. Add in more efficient hybrid technology, a roomier cockpit, a raft of high-technology offerings such as active cruise control and lane departure warning, more comfort, and you've got one of the world's most desirable hybrid cars when it goes on sale in late spring. With even fewer hybrid quirks this time around, you might consider a Prius if you want a great midsize car, regardless of its hybrid drivetrain. You might even forgive Toyota for a couple blunders such as the lack of iPod adapters and funky, hard-to-read instruments. It's available in late spring as a 2010 model and probably little changed in price.

Car Review: 2010 Toyota Prius Tops 50 mpg (Easily) - Gearlog

2. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Wondering if this hard to believe claim about the missing USB port is true:

"The real head-shaker is the lack of a meaningful iPod connection. Every Prius gets a line-in jack in the console and a second 12-volt adapter (photo). Later (no date set) Toyota will add a dealer-install option that gives you a USB jack for iPods and other music-containing devices; you can control the player from your Prius radio or steering wheel controls. That's for the Prius base audio system. Only. If you have a Prius with the JBL premium audio system or the navigation system, you're S.O.L. The best Toyota can point to is that if you get premium audio plus navigation plus Bluetooth, you can stream Bluetooth audio from some devices with rudimentary dashboard control (start, stop, volume). To have an all-new 2010 car that lacks full iPod control or, better, full control of every USB-connectible music device, suggests faulty judgment by product planners or the inability of a supplier to provide the right components. This is why the dictionary has words such as "boneheaded." "

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt it... why wouldn't it work with the JBL audio system?

4. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I agree, it doesn't make sense, but Toyota has mad an nice person of me before when I nice person-u-med things would make sense! :) However, even if it were true today, there would be nothing to stop it from being developed tomorrow or adding the existing non-USB interface. We have yet to get definitive information from PriusTeam, probably because they don't have it yet. We know the 2010 Camry is supposed to come with it or have it as an option, which should be the same Denso and JBL systems, so it seems inconceivable that it would not show up eventually.

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    they have to add a computer.. it's probably placed where the jbl amp is placed..

plus.. you get streaming blue tooth with the upgraded packages

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    after reading.. it really bugs me that they don't mention safety... standard it comes with curtain, side impact, duel stage driver and passenger plus duel stage knee airbags...

right?

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    driver's knee airbag only and i don't think it's dual stage for the knee airbag.

mm.. the 2010 Camry will get USB Integration so it is very odd that the Prius doesn't get one.