1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 1 - HV Traction Battery removal the easy way.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by LEVE, Sep 8, 2014.

1. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This week I had the chance to clear P3009 errors on two of my Gen 1, 2002, Prii. I followed advise on the Internet videos by taking out the traction battery through the side door. Now, I'm almost 66 years old and it's a bit difficult to get the battery out that way. I had two strong young men come over and give me a hand manhandling the battery out and put it on a work bench.

There had to be a better way. I think I may have found it. Here's what I did:
    • Remove all bolts, carpets, etc. necessary to remove the HV battery
    • Placed two 8' 2X4's in the trunk sticking out the back.
    • Used a flat wrecking bar to lift up on side of the battery and slid the 2X4 under the battery.
    • Did the same for the other side.
    • "Walked" the battery toward the rear of the car on the 2X4's.
    • Walked the battery out over the end of the car.
    • The 2X4's went down with the weight of the battery.
    • At the end of the 2X4's I placed a carpeted Harbor Freight moving dolly
    • Continued to walk the battery down the 2X4's.
    • Placed the battery on the moving dolly
    Now I can move the battery anywhere I want in the garage with ease. I could just have easily moved the battery up to a portable workbench using this method. I could also rig up a sling to my engine hoist and move it up to a non portable workbench.

It took me 7 minutes to get the battery out. It took me 5 minutes to get the battery back in using the reverse procedure. Again, I'm am almost 66 years old and had polio... I think you guys could do it in better time!

In reinstalling the battery, when the battery was relocated over the holes in the body of the car I placed two long punches to hold it in place over the holes. Then I simply slid out one 2X4 and then the other. The battery came down perfectly aligned in place. I never even broke a sweat.

I suspect this would also work with a Gen 2 Prius, someday when my Gen 2 dies, I'll get that chance too.

Attached Files:

rbdigital, DRACO and robert mencl like this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Work smarter not harder!!!! (y)(y):D

-Chap

3. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice idea! I hope to never have to deal with my HV battery but the odds are not in my favor and will keep this in my back pocket when the time comes.
    TomK

4. robert mencl

robert mencl Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    THIS is why I read Priuschat.

5. jimbfla1300

jimbfla1300 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tip. I was planning battery removal today, but rain changed my mind. Now I'll be able to use your method tomorrow.