1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 1 or Gen 2?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by NinnJinn, Jan 18, 2012.

1. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The time has come to go prius shopping!! :rockon:

This will be my first prius. Although the Gen 3 look totally sweet! I do not want a car payment and my budget is currently $8500. My beloved 95 Grand Prix GTP has got to go to the bone yard. She has given me 179,000miles of pure pleasure but all things must come to an end..:(

Now, back to business. I have been researching on here, and have found after about 8-10yrs your HV battery is pretty much on borrowed time.

I rather have a Gen 2, due to the body style. but I am looking at it from an economical stand point.

I have found a couple Gen 1 with nice looking car faxes in the $5500-6500 price range with under 85k miles.

Yet, I have found 04 and 05 prius models with 112k-160k miles and priced $6500-8,000 price range.

Which do I get? Do I get the 02 that has 81k miles on it and a long car fax of oil changes, tires etc for $5500? Or do I go for a 05 with limited car fax info 140k miles for $7700?

Not familiar with packages etc. Anything will be techy for me considering I am getting out of a 17yr old car and am tired of my wife rubbing my nose into her 08 Camry. (hence, don't want a car payment)

Any and all suggestions and criticism will be appreciated.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Unless you see a Gen 1 with a fresh ReInvolt or other warranted hybrid battery, stick with Gen II. A Gen 1 with low miles is not a great deal at all. Test drive all cars and pick the one that feels right. Let your intuition be your guide.

1 person likes this.
  4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a Gen I and a Gen II and frankly I love them both and I see very few advantages in either (I should add I have had no HV battery problems either). It is true that any Gen I that has not had the HV battery replaced is on borrowed time (as far as the battery) but beyond that, they seem to drive about the same and get about the same gas mileage. Here's the way I see it

Gen I
    Pros:
    Cheaper
    Gas Mileage at or near Gen II
    Used parts readily available at junkyards and Ebay
    Low mileage (<100k) cars available in your range
    Operates and looks more like a regular car (ie: shifter, key start, trunk etc)
    Easy to work on and modify
    You tend to care less if something bad happens to it (ie: fender bender) (My favorite pro)

Cons:
    Older technology (ie: cassette deck (Wth), no cruise on some models)
    HV Battery corrosion issues reported by some causing failure
    More maintenance required (ie: struts, bearings, rotors etc)
    Less interior room
    Cheap looking 14" rims

Gen II
    Pros:
    Newer Technology
    HV Battery upgrades (fixed corrosion issues on Gen I)
    Slightly better aerodynamics = slightly better mpg
    Better engine temp mngmt = slightly better mpg
    more comfortable and roomy
    It is the iconic Prius and there is tons of support out there for it
    Easy to work on
    Upgraded 15" rims

Cons:
    $8500 price range will be high mileage

That's my take (notice no recommendation given). I see very little difference in the drivetrain and both cars drive virtually the same. I love my Gen I and my Gen II. I looked for a good Gen II in the <$10K range for a long time but never found one I thought was in good enough shape. I ended up buying an '06 with just under 100,000 on it for $10,008. That was about 6 months of searching for a good deal. The prices do seem to be coming down on Gen II's but, the mileage is up. I don't really know how significant a factor high mileage is on a Gen II but I see a lot out there with 200,000++++ miles.

1 person likes this.
  5. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thats my problem..... I keep thinking that a 140,000 mile prius is the same as a 140,000 mile non-hybrid car. and think "Man! There is no way I am going to pay over $10,000 on a car with over 100,000 miles! In my neck of the woods, a car over 100,000 miles is pretty close to be worn out and going to turn into a money pit. While a car with 140,000 miles is ready for the bone yard.

My Grand Prix for example, 179,000 miles on it. Over the last 3years/50,000ish miles I have put every bit of $4-5,000 into it to keep it on the road... I don't mean luxuries, I mean, keeping it on the road, for at least the last 2yrs, no ac, sunroof/moon roof doesn't work, driver side window doesn't go up or down, add 1qt of oil every 2 weeks, about 3/4 on the ground 1/4 burned when it is started. (doesn't smoke while running.) temp guage broke, low coolant sensor broken, fuel gauge broken, ehhh you get the picture.

I am just afraid a 125,000+ mile prius is going to be another money pit. I would love to go 6months without dropping a grand into the car besides normal maintenance.

6. hmcgregor

hmcgregor New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I know you don't want a car payment...

But if your "used" to putting $4-5K into the car to keep it on the road over two years, and you have $8.5K on hand, and if you can negotiate well on a Gen3 Prius II (lowest end available), you may be looking at about the same "costs"

Depending on interest rate, you could finance the remaining $13-16K over 6 years for about the same out of pocket as you currently spend.

$5K/24 = $208/month

$13K at 5% interest for 6 years, is a payment of $210/month.

Your chance of major out of pocket expenses on the Gen3 for 6 years is quite low.

- Harry

7. fthorn

fthorn From gas hog to greenie to gas hog

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The above con can also apply to Gen 2. 04 and 05 models actually can come with a tape deck. I believe it was ditched w/the 06 model year as I have package NL (has every option except for leather; factory leather was new for 06) and I don't have a tape deck. Thus, I believe http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...andard-optional-equipment-some-countries.html is wrong when it refers to Cassette on any 06-09 models.

As for some models w/o cruise, it looks like you could get some 2nd gens w/o cruise control (e.g. 08 and 09).

Other pros of Gen 2s is that 06-09 models can come w/an audio input jack and backup camera along w/smart key system (love it).

2010+ Prius Model One formerly known as I (fleet only) also lacks cruise control per Prius I Only Going To Fleets, II-V Getting $400 Price Increase - Insight No Longer A Threat? | PriusChat.

Seilerts is one of our repair experts here, BTW.

1 person likes this.
  9. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With all due respect to the Gen 1 Prius, it was Gen 2 that became the Icon. The hatchback, the utility, and I think a significant step forward in design and technology. I think I'd always go Gen 2...

11. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With the accident, It must not have been too bad, it still has a clear title according to carfax.. But with parts, puts you in mind of a T bone. possibly a really good side swipe possibly...

09/04/2008 Florida
    Damage Report Structural damage reported+

Parts requested for repair:
    Left center B pillar
    Left rocker panel
    Left front door
    Left rear door
    Left quarter panel CARFAX recommends checking these repairs during your pre-purchase inspection.
    + Details added on 09/06/2011

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree. See http://priuschat.com/forums/generation-1-prius-discussion/96400-help-2001-prius-advice-needed-2.html (Patrick Wong is one of our repair experts) and the links I pointed to at http://priuschat.com/forums/newbie-...2003-prius-seeking-some-tips.html#post1292679. (I chose to ignore tpfun, the troll.)

13. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you pay someone to work on your car, a Gen2 with high mileage will cost less in the future to keep operating than a Gen1 with low mileage, unless you know for sure the Gen1 HV battery and tranny have been replaced....ask anyone who works on Priuses all day, the Gen2 battery and tranny are much improved over Gen1.

Based on what I've seen over the last 4 years, you are better off buying a 100k-150k miles gen2 than an 80k gen1. I've seen 04-05 Gen2 Priuses sell for $8-$10k, so you might find one in near your budget.

If you like to "tinker", a Gen1 could be a great deal, especially if you get it cheap with broken battery and/or tranny and repair yourself.

14. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Haha, both of my 2004 Prius and 1998 Lexus LS400 STARTED at around 110K miles. I had to put some maintenance on Lexus for alternator, timing belt stuff, but nothing on Prius, during the 50K and 70K miles I drove.

1 person likes this.
  15. electrontechnik

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I bought a 2001 Prius with 85k on the ticker. Transaxle was replaced 10k miles ago. I'll be taking good care of it (dropping the pan, cleaning the magnet, etc) so it can go another 85k. Folks have Gen1s with over 200k miles on them, so I'll see what this one can do.

Being a BSEE student, the traction battery is no problem for me to work on, and also I'm very handy with petrol engines, so in the end, I'm prepared to own it for quite a while!

16. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If your neck of the woods is the rust belt, try and buy a used Prius from a state where they don't salt the roads...rust is the only thing that causes premature wear on Prius (mainly things under car like brake parts, exhaust systems, axle level sensor on HID cars)....otherwise they can run forever. Well worth flying one way south or west to buy a Prius, then drive it home.

2 people like this.
  17. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Use your skills to make some money on Prius, not just save money by owning it. I am sure there will be more and more demand on Gen II services, HV battery, maintenance or even modification. I can't find someone in Chicago area with such skills and can save me money on my Gen II.

1 person likes this.
  18. Irrenarzt

Irrenarzt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I got a gen1 with 135K that needs some small body work (rear bumper) for 3K. It drives excellent and I got such a good deal that I don't mind replacing the traction battery when the time comes.

If I got a similar deal on a gen2, I would have taken that as I prefer the hatch form factor but I'm pretty happy with the deal I got. I went from a Tacoma that was getting 18 mpg at best to 46.1 mpg which is really noticeable these days...

19. bobofky

bobofky Member

140,000 miles on a Prius is not the same as 140,000 on a regular car. Unless all of your driving is highway miles the Prius engine has not run all the time at highway speeds. Regenerative braking prevents the wear on the brakes that you experience from a regular car. My 2001 went more than 200,000 miles before brake pads needed replacement. With 220,000 miles the only major expense that I have had was a hybrid battery (< $2,000) replacement at 197,000 miles in January 2009.