1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 lift gate garnish replacement (cheaper options?)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Scotty Danger, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Scotty Danger

Scotty Danger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I opened the trunk the other day, and the thing ripped out in my hand. I felt cool for a second (pretended I had super powers), but the high ended abruptly when I saw the replacement costs (averaging 220 - 250 plus shipping).

Does anybody have any sources that offer this part at a cheaper price? I have a black 2007 and need the lift gate w/ Smart Key integration, part # 7680147060C0

Thanks in advance for any leads!

2. dpeverhart

dpeverhart Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Mine broke off and I used epoxy putty from JB Weld to hold it in place temporarily until I could procure a replacement. That was 4 months ago and it's still holding up. It just might be a permanent solution.

3. Scotty Danger

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm good advice! My only worry is - if I epoxy, will I be able to access the license plate lights / trunk switch if necessary in the future?

The epoxy solution is tempting - two of the plastic pieces are broken, but the other 3 or 4 are in tact. Thanks!

4. dpeverhart

dpeverhart Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I

The way I did it you would still have access to the license plate lights. If I remember correctly I placed the broken studs back in their original positions and formed the epoxy putty around the plastic where it broke. Once it dried I put it in place and secured it with the nuts. I didn't realize when I did it that it would be so solid.

5. Scotty Danger

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok smart move ... I'll try the same!

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Remember this epoxy is not heat resistant, it weakens when hot. Best to do a 2 hand operation from this point, press to open with one hand, use other hand to lift from the metal part of trunk.

I've glued mine and it's fallen off once but with 2 hands it's been holding quite well.