1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen cvt

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Allen Bradshaw, May 29, 2016.

1. Allen Bradshaw

Allen Bradshaw New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why does Toyota not want to you to service the CVT they say it has the world something another best fluid but yeah you can buy it on the shelf for $3.65 a quart what's up with all that any ideas

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pure marketing. they are competing with other mfg.'s for low maintenance costs. it's not that they don't want you to, it's that they say you don't have to. and they feel it won't cost them much in warranty service to 10/150.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There is no official schedule for drain and filling the transaxle with ATF WS. Find a routine you like and use it, I prefer 30,000 miles then 90,000 then every 90,000 miles as i think wear mostly happens early.

If you have the dealer do it, near $100 is a good price. if you do it yourself, open the fill plug, then the drain plug.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Get this stuff:

TOYOTA ATF-WS

Not that sure about second gen, but suspect you'll need 4 quarts (or liters). Last time I purchased (in Canada, liters) it was $9.32 per.

An early change is good, then you can stretch the interval for subsequent changes.