1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen II key fobs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by tumh, Jun 30, 2015.

1. tumh

tumh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is not, strictly speaking, a new thread. Lost one of my key fobs for our '08 Prius. Found instructions for how to program a replacement right here in Prius Chat. Bought a fob on Ebay. Used instructions. Worked only partially. Very disappointed. Thought about the whole process and went to my local battery/lighting store and bought new batteries for my old fob and my "new" one. Everything works just fine. Thanks to the excellent people who shared their know-how here.

So if you are facing the same key fob challenge, do a search here and learn how to do the Chicken Dance. But buy new batteries first!

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!(y)

3. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You bought a NEW key fob, correct?

4. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good advice! Glad it all turned out well for you!

5. tumh

tumh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope. Online. It included a metal key blank that I will take to a locksmith tomorrow. I is actually in better condition [wear and tear marks] than our old one.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you got lucky and got a new fob, if it were used, you wouldn't be able to program it with the chicken dance

7. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe he doesn't have smart key. Just to clear things up before someone finds this thread and gets the wrong idea, if you have smart key, the chicken dance will not properly work on used key fobs. If it does work, the key will have to be inserted in the slot. If you buy a new key for, you should be able to program it yourself with the chicken dance procedure. Whenever someone (at a dealership) tells you you can't program a new key fob yourself or that special equipment is needed to program a key for 2009 and older Prii, they are either lying or uninformed.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If he doesn't have a smart key, changing the fob battery wouldn't have any effect in starting the car.......well not the programming part