1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen II Prius HV battery dying at 78k?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tonymark, May 5, 2014.

1. tonymark

tonymark New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I purchase a 2006 Prius used a while back. This all started 2 days ago when after starting the Prius, I got the RED TRIANGLE, brake warning light [(!)], check engine light, and the "car exclamation silhouette" on the MFD. I drove the 4 miles home and parked it. I remember reading a bad 12v can cause all kinds of errors. I drove the car to a close autozone and had them read the code. P0A80. I let the car sit overnight, checked the 12v battery through MFD, 12.4 in ACC, and 11.7 in IG-ON. It seems kinda marginal. When I drove the car to Autozone, I noticed the battery level was charging really fast and went to completely full, which I have never seen. When I returned home I removed the aux battery and trickle charged it overnight. I had a nice 13.6 v on it this morning, put it back in the car and drove 5.5 miles at various speeds and rapid acceleration to see how how the charge levels of the HV changed. The battery was still maxing out (full green bars), but i had no error/warning lights. I let it sit about 30 minutes and started hybrid system and all the warning lights are back on.

Is there still a chance this is the 12v battery? Also, my 8 YEAR WARRANTY ENDED 20 days ago. Now the dealer says (on the phone) it's about $2500 to replace HV battery. I still don't have the subcodes. I still have not taken it to the dealer to get all the subcodes and have the situation diagnosed. Wondering if ordering an Optima battery and installing will fix this situation. Can the apparent rapid charging of HV battery be caused by a bad 12v?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota actually has been pretty good at extending a "goodwill warranty" for cars that are right out of warranty coverage. You need to bring the car to the dealer and get it diagnosed (even though you know there is a dreaded P0A80 code). After the diagnosis, have them call Toyota HQ on your behalf to ask for a "Goodwill warranty". Hopefully Toyota will assist in covering the cost of the battery, and you possibly having to pay for the labor to install it.

The sooner you do this the better, the clock is ticking on how "just out of warranty" you really are.

Houston Hybrids likes this.
  3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For better or worse, $2,500 is actually a good deal for a dealer installer new Toyota battery.

I've heard dealers asking for thousands more than that.

I would still have the 12v battery tested. As you noted, you are on the marginal side of things.
    At least confirm for yourself it isn't rapidly self discharging.

4. tonymark

tonymark New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the info. I guess I am taking it to the dealer in the morning. If it is the 12v, It seems like I don't want the OEM battery. Is that still the case? I was gonna order an Optima DS46B24R. Is that the best one to get?

If Toyota replaces the HV battery either under a "goodwill" warranty or I shell out the $2500, do I get another 8 year/100k warranty on the battery?

5. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You only get a 1 year warranty.
    12,000 miles.

How many miles do you usually travel in a year?

Everyone has their own opinions about which is "the best"12v.
    Will likely cost ~$200 for Toyota 12v battery plus install labor.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the new toyota 12v batteries are supposed to be pretty good and pro rated warranty.

Merkey likes this.
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The title?

SM-N900P ?

8. tonymark

tonymark New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dealer checked out the car this morning: P0A80 and P0316. They said I needed a new HV battery and board. I guess the $2500 quote was just the part. $3519 is the actual install cost. Looks like I may dust the Engineering degree and rebuild the battery myself.

I did file a "goodwill" warranty case with Toyota, I should find out something in 3 days.

Prius_Cub likes this.
  9. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $3519 is a more in mind with what I usually here for dealer pricing on a new pack. Best of luck.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

11. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited

$999 with an 18 month warranty

Usually about $200 to install.

Don't do it at the dealer.

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What state are you in TonyMark?

13. theshark

theshark Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $3000 is a great price. In my area the dealers want $4500... Gouging....

14. tonymark

tonymark New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Atlanta, Ga.

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  16. tonymark

tonymark New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My friend went with them with 220k on original Gen 2 battery. Just really ticks me off that mine only got to on 78k. If Toyota does not offer a Goodwill warranty, I think I will rebuilt it myself. I have a 1994 Toyota pickup I can drive around while the Prius is down. Why did this have to happen when gas was so darn expensive?

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you brought your car to the dealer, you can request they call into Toyota for you. They respond normally in 1 day....sometimes sameday. I find when the dealer makes the request for you, the results are always more favorable than you doing it yourself.

18. tonymark

tonymark New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I asked the dealer to contact Toyota and they told me I had to do it. Maybe because I was not the original owner and I did not purchase it from them. So, I had to contact Toyota myself. Just had the guy from hybridbatteryexperts.com (aka Carworx) tell me that if I take it to a dealership in California then my warranty is still valid. Is this true if the car is not registered in California and I am not a resident?

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This information from Carworx is not true. Your car has to be purchased from a CARB state and maintained registered in a CARB state for it to have the california CARB warranty. If your car is not currently registered in a CARB state, even going into a CARB state would not give you the warranty.

I would hold out for Toyota's response. I feel they will offer assistance as your car is less than 1 month out of warranty and is quite low on mileage.

As for Toyota dealership not assisting you, you should speak to the service manager as it's their job to assist you in doing these requests.

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...that's why I asked you what state you lived in. Since GA is not CARB, I think you have 8yr/100k warranty. The first rule is very clear, to get CARB extended warranty, the car must be registered in a CARB state. The second rule is very fuzzy to me, but the car must be CARB-certified...I think some 2006's may be CARB-certified even those sold outside CA, like mine. If you had told me you lived in a CARB state, I would have said you might have a case.