1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen II Prius Past 150K -- Big PicturMaintenance Schedule Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BeatleBob, Feb 16, 2015.

1. BeatleBob

BeatleBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. I like that answer -- one thing to service not two is good. I think there is enough on the laundry list already.

2. BeatleBob

BeatleBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oops. Bump.

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If I may add...brake flush. writes123 made mention of this, but for some reason many here don't seem give this area attention it deserves. This may possibly be because of the miracle regen brake system (which is a separate system), because of Toyota's lack of service recommendation (other than a visual), implying perhaps this is a lifetime fluid like the transmission fluid and because the demographics of the average Prius owner is prone to pinching the penny as tight as possible. Irregardless the reason, Prius comes delivered with DOT3 brake fluid from the factory. I leave it to your own judgement and research to determine the importance of this fact. Consider industry standards and high repair costs associated with related brake system failures which have been documented. I know costs mount as you ponder your actions, but this is simple preventative maintenance. The material is on this site should you choose and/or feel confident DIY. I choose to have the dealership perform this one, and have two locals Dealerships that only charge $100. Me...30,000 miles or 3 years...which ever comes first. About to have the 3rd one done this month. YMMV ;)

#23 frodoz737, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  4. writes123

writes123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    regarding brake fluid flush. some if not most say leave it alone. but for those lexus hybrid owners since 2010 their rx450h maintenance schedule calls for replacing brake fluid every 30k miles. something to definitely keep in mind. the fluid absorbs moisture regardless of brake pad wear or lack thereof. thus the fluid needs to be replaced.

30,000 Mile
    Factory Recommended
    • Replace engine oil and oil filter (0W-20)
    • Rotate tires and adjust tire pressures as required
    • Replace air conditioner filter
    • Replace brake fluid
    • Replace engine air filter
    • Replace smart key battery
    • Reset maintenance reminder light
    • Road test vehicle
    • Check installation of driver's floor mat
    • Inspect axle shaft boots
    • Inspect ball joints and dust covers
    • Inspect body
    • Inspect brake lines and hoses
    • Inspect brake rotor thickness and runout
    • Inspect engine coolant
    • Inspect exhaust pipes and mounting
    • Inspect fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses.
    • Inspect fuel tank cap gasket
    • Inspect inverter coolant
    • Inspect rack and pinion steering assembly
    • Inspect steering linkage and boots
    • Inspect transmission fluid
    • Inspect variable gear ratio steering assembly
    • Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors
    Also, the cheapest method for replacing the HV battery is low mileage, late model prius salvage from junkyards. you will need to call around but they should be some to pick from.

BeatleBob likes this.
  5. BeatleBob

BeatleBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If I go the junkyard hybrid battery route, I would need a service tech to do the install. My trusted service shop draws the line as to anything that involves hybrid related componentry. I have treid to find a reputable hybrid mechanic in my area -- DC suburbs -- and have come up empty handed. The couple of shops arond here that do this kind of work get shoddy reviews on Yelp, for example. Any of you know if the discussion board has any Maryland, Northern VA, or DC Prius members that can point me to a hybrid shop? There are tons of Prii on the roads here -- but I guess everybody rolls up into the various dealerships for service.

#25 BeatleBob, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  6. writes123

writes123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Tier 2 -- per every 15K service
    Replace transmission fluid do every 60k - 100k
    Inspect, and if neeed, clean and adjust rear brakes
    Inspect ball joints & dust covers
    Inspect drive shaft boots
    Inspect engine inverter and coolant check both reservoirs' level
    Inspect exhaust pipe and mountings
    Inspect radiator, condenser and intercooler. there is no intercooler
    Inspect steering gear box it has electric rack and pinion. nothing to inspect
    Inspect steering linkage & boots
    Inspect brake lines and hoses
    Inspect exhaust system you already did that 5 lines ago
    Inspect engine valve clearance should be done at 100k but I don't think anyone ever does. not an easy job
    Inspect drive belts only 1. use a flashlight and look for cracks on the ribbed side of the belt.

Tier 3 per every 30 K mile service

Replace cabin air filter
    Replace engine air filter
    Clean Throttle Body only if its dirty. I wouldn't expect it to be dirty this often. shine a flashlight in it when you change the air filter
    Inspect fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel vapor vent system hoses
    Inspect fuel tank cap gasket
    Inspect transmission fluid I would look under car for signs of leakage, no need to open the fill plug if its dry on the bottom.

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/gen-ii-prius-past-150k-big-picturmaintenance-schedule-question.150447/#ixzz3S3RAMs1I
    Follow us: @PriusChat on Twitter | PriusChat on Facebook

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    after you make your final list, tally up the total cost to make sure you want to sink that kind of money in an ieleven year old car.

9. BeatleBob

BeatleBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here's the punch list incorporating everyones's thoughtful comments. I plan on going to the shop and asking for an estimate of the items, and seeing if it's worth it to do the maintenance, or sell and buy a new / later model Prius.
    It's quite a list. That said, thanks for your help, everybody. You've been really terrific! Any guesses what the final tally will be from the shop mechanic?
    • Replace engine oil and oil filter -- OW 20
    • Rotate tires adjust tire pressures as required
    • Replace ATF -- use Toyota ATF only
    • Change engine inverter and coolant fluid
    • Clean and adjust rear brakes
    • Replace brake fluid
    • Replace cabin air filter
    • Replace engine air filter
    • Replace ac filter
    • Clean Throttle Body, if needed
    • Check 12 v BatteryReplace PCV
    • Replace engine and inverter water pump and serpentine belt
    • Clean HV battery fan
    • Replace thermostat and gasket
    • Lubricate chassis
    Inspect the following:
    • top off as needed -- antifreeze (adjusted to x degrees?), differential oil and clutch fluid(?), brake fluid, power steering fluid, windshield washer fluid , rear windshield washer fluid
    • ball joints & dust covers
    • drive shaft boots
    • exhaust pipe and mountings
    • radiator, and condenser
    • brake lines and hoses
    • brake pads calipers and rotors
    • engine valve clearance
    • drive belts -- look for cracks on ribbed side of the belt
    • steering linkage and boots
    • rack and pinion steering assembly
    • fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel vapor vent system hoses
    • fuel tank cap gasket
    • all lights and signals

#29 BeatleBob, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  10. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My thoughts about your list.

-Change engine inverter and coolant fluid – Use only Toyota SLLC
    -Replace ac filter – This is same as cabin air filter
    -Replace engine and inverter water pump and serpentine belt – Engine pump only if it leaks. Inverter pump depending on when it was last changed or… Serpentine belt check is on your list so maybe just check it.
    -Clean HV battery fan – Only if there has been dogs or other or hair getting into it. Or maybe if you life somewhere where it runs most of the time.
    -Replace thermostat and gasket – If you have some way to tell exact engine temp you can tell if it needs thermostat or not.
    -Lubricate chassis – There isn’t anything to lubricate.
    -engine valve clearance – Test is just to listen the engine. Adjustment is basically newer needed.

BeatleBob likes this.
  11. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Recommended engine oil is 5/30 , its printed on the oil fill cap. If you like 0/20 and it works for you, fine, but its not factory recommended (for 01-09 prius).

12. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    its too bad none of your home-boys is a tech. a lot of the stuff on your list is really easy diy stuff, and a lot of it most likely isn't even needed right now.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fyi, cabin filter and a/c filter are one and the same.

15. BeatleBob

BeatleBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bisco - you are very warm. The estimate I got back for the punch list was $1800 initially. The shop then came back with a recommendation to replace struts. The revised estimated which includes struts and mounts is $3400. I am not sure if they have been replaced in the life of the Prius up to now, and need to check that with the dealer and the local service shop. The estimate, by the way, was from a place not very nearby where where I live, and we communicated online. He did not see the car -- only my punch list.
    I have to say I do not feel good about him throwing the struts into the discussion. It feels like I once I get the car to him, it's likely to be more surprises like that and he will have me over the barrel.
    I think I struck it lucky, though. There is a guy in my office who is a part time mechanic, and moonlights on car repairs. He is seasoned, and said he is interested in doing the work when the weather warms up a bit. I know he's the kind of guy who is going to look for ways to do the work that is needed and call it a day on componenets that look okay upon inspection. What is a fair hourly labor rate for a mechanic like that? I would like to adequately compensate him and land a fair deal that both he and I feel good about.

16. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I do not know what the going rate is where you live, but I charge $60/hour when I do side jobs. I don't generally charge anything to inspect unless I have to take something apart. if your coworker isn't familiar with the prius, direct him to this site and we'll do what we can to help him, though most repairs and maintenance are the same as normal cars. also, pick his brain so that in the future you can do your own basic maintenance.

17. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If these are still the original struts, replace them all.

Read my front (post #48) and rear (post #3) replacement to convince your self it is time. After this maintenance experience, I'm a firm believer in the strut maker's claim of 5year/50,000mile limit to maintain optimum suspension; the degradation is so slow, you will likely not know/feel it. I always thought it was a marketing hype, to get the owner to change parts unnecessarily early. Just like some oil change places/service centeres still push 3months/3,000 mile oil change intervals today.

Never recalled any excessive or unusual noise. Never saw "hop scotch marks/cupping," on the tires, which is a tell-tale sign of a worn strut/shock. This is what blew me away, as I had really worn struts/shocks, but no cupping marks on the tires. As you know, a worn strut/shock smooths the rebound of the spring, and helps to keep the tire on the ground at all times. You have probably seen cars on the freeway, where one or both wheels on the same axel, "hopscotch," due to a failed strut/shock. Now I know better: hopscotch marks may be absent for a failed strut/shock.

Only when I compressed the old struts and shocks, then timed the very slow rebound, have I come to appreciate the 5year/50,000mile change recommendation. KYB's website does a good job of explaining this and the rational for it.
    KYB Americas | When to Replace Shocks

When replacing the rears, clean the HV battery fan since you'll have access to it; you'll be amazed at how much dust is collected between the blades.

Total cost of parts for a complete front strut and rear shock replacement (8/2014): ~$319 (KYB stuff came from Amazon. Toyota parts Camelback online).
    KYB front strut, $41 left, $53 right
    KYB front strut mount, $48 each
    KYB rear shocks, $58 each
    KYB rear bellow (didn't need; discovered after the rear shock off the car), $6used, $10new
    KYB rear mount kit, $6used, $9new
    Toy font upper dust seal, $4.56/ea
    Toy front upper insulator (big rubber boot; must get as the old one will be trash), $16.15/ea
    Toy front lower insulator (just get, even though yours will probably appear in great shape; maybe old part will fall apart in 20k miles?), $10.57/ea
    Toy rear upper insulator (just get, even though yours will probably appear in great shape; maybe old part will fall apart in 20k miles?), $9.62/ea

Local Toyota dealer labor price was $800 (Hooman), or $1,000 (Cabe).

18. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    BeatleBob, only you know the situation and financial choices you face in life at this time fully. At minimum you need to do all fluids and filters now, but soon you will have to decide if you want to overhaul (loosely speaking) a 10+ year old vehicle or replace it. The Toyota's Prius is one of the most reliable passenger vehicles available, but in the end it's just another machine that wears out and it's major mechanicals are not cheap. Best wishes.

19. BeatleBob

BeatleBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Appreciate what has been shared.
    THe shop that quoted me the $1800 for the punch list has this to say about the battery.
    "The battery sometimes will have heavy corrosion on the terminals and can be taken apart and cleaned, the hybrid inverter and computer both can be replaced separately without having to replace the whole unit like the dealer would sell to you. This is just some of the things that are able to be fixed without having to replace the whole hybrid battery."
    What do you think of this as a path forward?
    My red triangle is back on as of this afternoon, btw. I am thinking of bringing it in to this guy and seeing what he says.
    Bob

20. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Your need accurate and full diagnostics to determine your path forward.