1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen II vs. Gen III reliability

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusIA, Dec 19, 2013.

1. PriusIA

PriusIA New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been reading here for some time and am planning my Prius purchase. I understand that both generations are very good cars and there are personal preference considerations for both.

My question is whether there is any evidence that then Gen II especially 08 or 09 is any more or less reliable than a 2010 Gen III which was a new model year?

I'm aware of the US fuel bladder inconvenience, the minor headlight issues with Gen II and that the Gen III has somewhat better mileage.

Anything people should think about regarding reliability?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think they are pretty similar, just by spending time here, nothing scientific. certainly, gen II has more accumulated miles and experience, but III has proven itself admirably so far. personally, i have owned two II's and now a III, all very similar.

3. PriusIA

PriusIA New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Bisco, thats helpful information to hear from someone who has had both.

4. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Taking a look at True Delta's reliability data, there's no evidence that the Gen II is more reliable. In fact, the 2009 is the worst of all (but still very good) when compared to others of the same year. Every year but the 2009 & 2011 are the best in their year.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In a way, you can't really know.

All Prius, score pretty high in reliability initially. But it depends on what you are looking for in time frame. With a brand new Prius, I would be disappointed if I have much mechanical problem within the next 5 years, assuming I maintain a vigilant maintenance program (Oil and Fluid Changes). I would have this expectation with any new Toyota vehicle. Their reputation is that good as an automaker, and I think their products built to those standards.

The Gen 2 simply has a longer in service track record.

The Gen 3 has some under the skin changes that the long term reality simply is not yet known. Some components in the HSD system were made smaller and lighter. The engine in the Gen 3 is beltless.

Maybe I have a somewhat warped view, in so much as my economic position and car buying habits, have me thinking as any vehicle under 4-5 years old as being relatively a "new" vehicle. If I purchased new I expect reliability for the time frame. I typically keep any vehicle I like, at least that long. The clock on what I would deem reliability really doesn't start ticking until I've had a vehicle at least 4-5 years, or pass 100,000 miles.

So for me? I would say without hesitation that my 1992 Honda Accord that had 130,000+ miles on it when I traded it in around 2010.....was an incredibly reliable vehicle. It had some maintenance issues it needed, as any vehicle it's age, but was still running like a bullet when I traded it in.

I have no reason to not expect reliability from my Prius. But ask me again in 10 years.

6. PriusIA

PriusIA New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The true delta data is interesting thanks salguod. I guess thats a fairly reliable data source?, the numbers are so low there probably isn't much a difference between generations.

7. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've participated in True Delta's research for many years, at least 6. I like his transparency about how the data is collected, that he collects data monthly to quarterly, that he gets results in a few months and that he reports real numbers - repairs per year per 100 cars. It's relatively new (about 7-8 years old), but very promising.

Consumer Reports only collects data yearly and takes months to report it. So their data is quite old, 6-18 months. When asking people about car repairs from that long ago, do they really remember? They only give red & black dots, no idea what those actually mean.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is a member here that solicits others to submit reliability info. someone might remember or a search might find it.

9. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Michael Karesh runs True Delta, mkaresh here (and on most forums).

10. wirelessjava

wirelessjava Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a used 2005 Gen 2 an a now a 2015 Gen III (Last of the Gen III). I am looking at which one has a better reliability. This is non scientific but both have been doing well.

---wire

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The 10 year newer car should be more reliable

12. mattbatson

mattbatson Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well how about this question...

With the gen II we know of all the issues such as brake accumulator and coolant pump and so forth

With the gen III are there as many ?

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    GenIII has it's share of problem areas.

1. EGR valve
    2. Inverter failure problem (supposedly fixed with recall)
    3. Oil burning
    4. Sudden head gasket failures (possibly related to coolant pump failure)

14. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Both had oil burning issues.

JeffD

15. mattbatson

mattbatson Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    K

Well geez I hadn't heard about head gaskets blowing
    That isn't a cheap fix
    Ouch

Car manufacturers don't have audible alarms yet for low oil and low coolant?

I know the gen III has some new designs such as two fewer coolant pumps and upgraded traction battery technology?

Plus no timing belt...

16. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Seems both generations are very reliable cars, till they aren't. That is to say that after a lot of miles, they start to have problems, some of them are expensive components and systems.

17. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, I got a 2010 with only 150k miles from dealer auction and it has a head gasket with service battery on the dash....Mechanic said both the inverter and gas motor are both bad...THIS IS UNHEARD OF ON A GEN 2!!!!

He did say the gen 3 rarely has a problem with hybrid battery going bad, not sure how much truth there is to it.

If you are looking to get 200 to 300,000 miles out of it then without a doubt the gen 2 is the way to go.

If you want a car that is good on gas for a few years and resell it before mileage gets too high then go with gen 3.

18. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    According to the stats at Truedelta.com, the gen 3 is as or more reliable as the gen 2. The Prius is perhaps the most reliable car in their survey.

19. wirelessjava

wirelessjava Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got the last year of the Gen III - 2015 I heard that the last of the Gen 2 prius(2010?) was not that Good. Anyone have an opinion of the last of the Gen 2???

---wire

20. wirelessjava

wirelessjava Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry the last of the Gen 2 was 2009

---wire