1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GEN. II What is the average LIFESPAN of the HYBRiD battery before it dies?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Oct 2, 2013.

1. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Our GEN II'S are getting up there in mileage.
    Does anybody know what the 'AVERAGE' lifespan of the GEN II hybrid battery is?

2. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I believe almost all of them are still running, so the average lifespan is not known. We are at 191,000 and seem to still be going strong. I'll take a wild guess that the average may fall somewhere around 225,000.

PA P

JimboPalmer likes this.
  3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There is a poll going on now to try to determine the mileage range and the number of failed Gen II batteries within different mileage ranges. Take the time to search.

4. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    On average, it looks like crashes and poor maintenance (not the batteries) will end the life of gen2/3 prii. I see no reason not to expect 500,000 miles unless one often discharges the battery with use of EV. Granted I'm a flatlander, but I rarely see low bars.

5. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There was a blog entry from Luscious Garage stating that death by 250k is not uncommon. Judging from what I've seen on this forum, I'd say you should be financially prepared after 150k.

If you live in an area of extreme temperatures or very mountainous terrain, it may be sooner.

iPhone ? - now Free

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is the poll we have going on...please chime in:
    Hybrid Battery Survey-Gen2 Prius 2004-2009 | PriusChat

We obviously do not have internal data from Toyota to be able to answer the question exactly. According to Toyota the battery is designed to last life of vehicle and <1% of HV batteries have been replaced. A taxi driver from Greece just said they commonly get over 250000 miles on a Gen2 batt.

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Note that in the above linked survey we are currently running at about 14% failures overall. Personally I think that this figure is more believable than Toyota's "<1%" - at least for the current average age of the Gen2 fleet.

Hybrid Battery Survey-Gen2 Prius 2004-2009 | PriusChat

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As I recall, Toyota states a average of 175K or ten years. As has been said, most cars are crashing before battery failure. The general consensus seems to be geography and temperatures more than miles. Higher bad batteries being reported in hilly, mountains, and hot areas.

Not enough data for a exact figure and probably never will be. I do agree that after 150K, one should budget for that sort of work.

05 Prius NY likes this.
  9. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    It is an interesting survey, but I sincerely doubt it has much scientific credibility. Web surveys like this tend to be self-selecting for people that encounter the problem or fear they might. If a user HAS this problem, they will be more likely to search out relevant threads and respond to the poll. On the other hand, if a person is not concerned about the problem they are unlikely to read and respond to the poll.

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Currently this is the only type of publicly available info that we have, but yes I totally agree with you MJ. It's very difficult to know how much credibility we can have in this type of survey. It's basically an apathy barrier, someone just lurking who hasn't had any problem may just go, "hmm interesting statistics" and then click away. Whereas someone who has had the problem might take the effort to log in (or even sign up) to respond.

Weighing against that (on the other side of the coin as it were), regulars on this forum tend to be somewhat of enthusiasts, and therefore probably more aware of maintenance issues and general care of their Prius. (Things like battery fan maintenance and the benefits of avoiding high battery temperatures for example.) So there could also be some bias in the other direction of respondents having better battery longevity than the wider Prius owning population. In any case, it is difficult to know just how representative that data really is.

MJFrog and dorunron like this.
  11. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whoever owned mine last had the hybrid battery last until 81K miles. Then it was replaced free with a brand new one the day I walked in and I bought the car at an amazing price.

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gee whiz I am not thinking the informal survey here should be used to calculate failure rates. We are just trying to see if there are some trends. The thing I am noticing, many of the batteries that failed are likely covered by warranty. Everyone under 100000 miles and I am guessing at least ~50% of the ones under 150000 miles are CARB states. Originally I had in mind doing the survey for every model year, so we could see if one year was worse than another, but there did not seem to be enough voters to do that. So we are stuck with a Gen2 lump. I think its a predictable conclusion we will see higher failure rates on this site.

The Critic and dorunron like this.
  13. lovemy02prius

lovemy02prius Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2018 any update on how long a Gen 2 HV Battery last? I have a Gen 1 that needs 3 modules. But since i have it pulled. Im wondering if i should order new Gen1 modules or order Gen 2 modules and upgrade it now? Please let me know if anyone has experience w this how much it would cost and where to order them. Also do i need to chamge anything else if im upgrading to Gen 2 modules???

14. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Common wisdom states that the life of an HV battery has virtually nothing to do with mileage, and everything to do with (a) age and (b) charge/discharge cycles.

There are folks in this forum who have replaced 10-year-old batteries with < 100k on them. There are also folks who put 300k on their car in 10 years and still have the original battery.

Fact is, for low-mileage drivers, the Prius really isn't a good value proposition. If you have to buy a $3000 battery every 100,000 miles, a Corolla probably makes more sense, especially given the initial price difference.

srellim234 and j12piprius like this.
  15. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here's a thread started today, which supports your point. 11 years old and 107k miles. I'm in the camp that believes that age is a bigger factor than miles.

16. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi Melon!

It really helps that a 10-year-old Prius is at a weal spot on the depreciation curve. When I bought my '08 with 88k miles on it last Fall, I paid $7200 (+TTP). I asked myself, "Is this a good car for $10,400 with a new battery?" My answer was yes, that it was as good or better than a Corolla that I could buy for $10.4K.

I'd probably feel different if I'd bought it new and it needed a $3200 "repair" after a mere 10 years.

TKW_NOLA likes this.
  17. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    E_S, that's how I usually advise people that post here and in real life to approach buying a Prius. Hope you found some shade to park your Prius while you're working.

18. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Not working very much these days. The convention & trade show business really dies down after Memorial Day.

The Prius mostly sits in the garage. Even at 110F in there, it's the best I can do.

19. no-name

no-name Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Replaced my 2007 at 66k under warranty. I now have 125k on it.

Trying to figure out if I should trade it in before I need to start putting more $ into it. Just replaced the pump and tires. Have not got any notices about any of the extended warranties I read about here. I live at the same spot as when the car was new.

Enjoy

20. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2006 went 399k with NO cell fade at all. Search for Darkmini on PC - really abused car, knows a guy with a lot of knowledge on battery replacements.
    Remember, the Prius only uses about 20% of battery capacity (all except the Prime). This is to not abuse the battery so it lasts a long time.