Welcome to PriusChat

We'd love to have you join our community and participate in the conversation! Sign up for FREE today.

Gen III fuel filter

Discussion in 'Gen III 2010+ Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubles' started by Kevlaw, Jan 1, 2011.

Social Buttons

1. Kevlaw

Kevlaw New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I recently had a filter change and have lost over 8 miles per gallon. Left a fairly strong message with the service manager. will see if he returns the call next Monday.
  2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Gen III fule filter

Let me guess. You filled up just before the service. You reset the fuel mileage device. Be aware, the shop will have the car running without moving for a while, to check various things. This will drop the average mileage dramatically.
    There is no fuel filter on the Prius. They -may- have changed the cabin air filter (no effect on mileage), and presumably, you asked for and got an engine air filter change. This will also have no effect on mileage. Unless it was completely plugged, which is doubtful.

Your average mileage drop was due to the car sitting idling at the dealership. Once you reset the meter your mileage should return to normal.
    1 person likes this.
  3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Are you sure?

Well even if there is none, that wouldn't keep the stealership from changing it and charging an arm and leg for. ;)
  4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

There is a fuel filter, it is inside the fuel tank in the same sub assembly as the pump and gauge sender. I do believe you would be correct in saying the shop didn't change it.

2010 TOYOTA PRIUS Fuel Filter

That type of filter is intended to be a "lifetime"(*) fuel filter and is altogether too common on modern cars. They eventually need to be changed on a lot of high mileage cars and it's big job.

Fortunately Toyota put an access panel under the rear seat to get at the top of the fuel tank so you can pull the pump/filter/level sender assembly out of the car without removing the fuel tank from the car. You might be able to get your fuel filter changed for about $110 for parts plus 2 hours labor, so about $300+ or so.

(*) the filter is guaranteed to last the life of the filter.:D
  5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Having done this myself, it's too bad there is no simple way to change a spelling error in a Thread Title!!
  6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

You can change the title in your reply and if enough people follow suite it would work.
  7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2004 Prius

For the FJ, Underdog Racing Development offers a high performance fuel pump that relocates the fuel filter to the frame rail. This is a high performance fuel filter that takes under 2 mintues to change

It's not a question of IF but WHEN you clog a fuel filter, and to have to remove an entire fuel pump assembly from a fuel tank is insane

But all new gasoline powered vehicles now offer such a "lifetime" filter
  8. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator Staff Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Or just have a mod do it ;-)
  9. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Well, they do last the lifetime of the filter.:D

Fortunately there don't seem to be a rash of filters needing to be replaced on Prii so it's not a problem for the vast majority of original owners. I still don't like them
  10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good thing I did a search, I was going to ask about the fuel filter and pump access. It's not too bad doing a change from the top. It sure beats dropping the tank.
  11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And the OP has never posted a reply/followup. I wouldn't be surprised if the the fuel filter was a red herring and there was something else going on/changed.