1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen III shifter knob in Gen II

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by RyC, Dec 5, 2011.

1. RyC

RyC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys,
    Does anyone know if the Gen III shifter knob is removable or if it will fit onto the Gen II shifter screw? I just think it looks cooler and was wondering if I could switch them out.

Thanks!

2. JACoH

JACoH Enjoying the mileage

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I believe they are, both are 6mm threaded. Just unscrew it to the left, it does have thread compound on it to keep from vibrating loose, but it won't hurt to take it off. I had a Gen 3 and replaced it a while back, but had to put back on to trade it in. I see a few are listed on ebay. Can you tell me what color your gen 2 knob is? I have a new 2012 v wagon and want to change it out and need the pattern to show for my wife but need it to be silver.

3. RyC

RyC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your help, ill peruse ebay and see if I can find anything. My Gen 2 knob is the stock gray one, looks like this [​IMG]. I've already taken if off to install a new HU, but it sticks back on just fine.

4. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    RyC any luck? I'm interested in doing the same mod myself. Any news would be appriciated.

5. RyC

RyC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dave,
    I haven't had the chance to pick up or try out the gen III shifter yet, but I'll post back when I try it out!

6. Philatc

Philatc Pushing Tin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    To answer your question, yes the shifter does unscrew. It is held in place with some thread locker and may seem like your breaking it to be able to unscrew it. As far as finding some?? I would suggest a crashed Prius at a junk yard or google works too.

7. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Be careful with this change! One day out for a look around I had the portable GPS cable touching the shift knob and the car went to neutral. I could not figure the problem but then I moved the cable and all was well. It seems this nob is sensitive to weight? Hal