1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen IV Advanced Technology Package Speculation

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by XMAN LIVE, Sep 29, 2014.

1. XMAN LIVE

XMAN LIVE "Just have Fun!"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Toyota Brings Advanced Automated Vehicle Technology to U.S. Roads
    September 04, 2014​
    ANN ARBOR, Mich. (September 4, 2014) – It’s not science fiction anymore. Toyota is putting the future of auto safety technology on display, including environment-mapping systems that can track objects on the road both day and night, 3D information displays that transform the ability to provide road information to drivers, and an advanced driving support system that will be available to U.S. customers in the mid-decade....

Will Automated Highway Driving Assist (AHDA),Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC),Lane Trace Control (LTC),Predictive & Interactive HMI (HMI), and3D HUD (Heads-Up Display) be part of Gen 4 ATP?

Toyota Brings Advanced Automated Vehicle Technology to U.S. Roads

Future ATP Videos?
    Published on Sep 29, 2014 - Advanced Automated Vehicle Technology to U.S. Roads

Published on Sep 5, 2014 - 2014 Toyota Advanced Safety Seminar (TASS)

Proof of concept? or not
    Published on Sep 7, 2014 - Toyota DARV Demonstration

Good idea
    Published on Apr 15, 2014 - Nissan's Smart Rearview Mirror Changes What You See

Older videos from 2013 - However may have some value in understanding future ATP

Toyota Europe: Published on Oct 11, 2013 - Automated Highway Driving Assist

Toyota Europe: Published on Oct 11, 2013 - Pre-collision System with Pedestrian-avoidance Steer Assist

Toyota Europe: Published on Oct 11, 2013 - Parking Assist
    Note: Test drove Chrysler 200C - no validating parking space as sonar picked up cars and cameras picked up lines)

Published on Nov 21, 2013 - Trying to run over a dummy FAIL

#1 XMAN LIVE, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. XMAN LIVE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Link to PDF showing test route and other information:
    http://www.toyota-global.com/innovation/intelligent_transport_systems/world_congress/2014detroit/pdf/AHDA_Demonstration.pdf

Another video: (like to find video on updated parking system)

Background video on
    ITS World Congress - Day 5 Recap
    Published on Sep 11, 2014

Reading script from event.... A bit of description on 3D heads up display

clip for script...
    Later today you will have the opportunity to actively explore two pieces of that on going research that we are just now starting to integrate:
    • A new miniature Light Detection And Ranging “LIDAR” system
    • that may eventually replace the gumball machine on the roof;
    • And a new 3D heads-up display system
    • which builds on the company’s philosophy
    • that advanced safety technology should work as a “teammate”
    • that informs the driver of critical information
    • including vehicle status, traffic conditions and road signs
    • on the front windshield, in almost hologram format .
    Link to full script - 2014 Toyota Advanced Safety Seminar - Ken Koibuchi | Corporate

Reading script from event....
    Clue on schedule ... Gen 4 Prius could be the first vehicle with these options ... :)(y):)

As you heard last night from Mr. Bill Fay of Toyota Motor Sales, we have a plan.

Very soon, we will accelerate the introduction
    • of all-new multi-feature active safety systems,
    • that include pre-collision,
    • to the U.S. market,
    • well in advance of a government mandate.

In fact our goal, is to be the world’s first full-line manufacturer
    • to offer such a package on all of its vehicles
    • across our entire Toyota lineup,
    • driving down costs to customers
    • from luxury vehicles, to trucks and SUVs,
    • to our most affordable compacts.
    We plan to begin the rollout of these technologies in 2015,
    • and hope to have them widely available
    • across our product line by 2017
    Link to full script - 2014 Toyota Advanced Safety Seminar - Seigo Kuzumaki | Corporate

#2 XMAN LIVE, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014
  3. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It would be great to have all this tech in Gen 4 Prius. How confident are we on that? HUD in 3D is also an interesting idea, hopefully it will not distract drivers much.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius tends to be the most tech-laden Toyota branded vehicle (i.e. excluding Lexus). In 2009, there weren't too many vehicles, if any, in the mid-size class that had the PCS/DRCC/LKA safety features that the Prius V w/ AT Package had. In 2003, the only other vehicle that had SKS was the Acura RL and LS460. It was one of the rare vehicles that offered bluetooth handsfree too.

I hope Toyota surprises us with new tech or class-leading technology (standard or optional). I'm not sure which direction they want to go with the Gen 4. We knew they wanted to target the mainstream with the 3rd Gen and based on the small sample that is PriusChat back in 2009/2010, it certainly attracted a wider range of audience as we started getting new members from all walks of life.

Now with the Prius c covering the lower end of the price bracket, are they taking the Prius upmarket? I hope they don't push it too far out of reach for those that still want the original liftback and just assume that folks will buy the Prius c because it meets their budget. On the other hand, they want to continue to make it affordable so they can't load it with too many features that will take it higher than what the current Prius Five w/ AT package is priced as people will start looking at Lexus.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm really hoping Toyota goes the way of Apple and instead of pushing high-glossy skeuomorphic and glitzy displays they flatten everything and introduce a minimalistic dash in relative monotone geometric shapes.
    (also, I'm kidding)

6. XMAN LIVE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Tesla Auto Pilot looks good (Model S comes standard with Autopilot - Starts at 71,070 +T+TTL :)
    Tesla Model S P85D AWD and auto-pilot demo
    Published on Oct 9, 2014

#6 XMAN LIVE, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  7. XMAN LIVE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A bit more information on how Auto-Pilot works (short version)
    New AWD Tesla Model S P85D features 'autopilot' system
    Published on Oct 10, 2014

#7 XMAN LIVE, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  8. XMAN LIVE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Full Unveil
    Tesla Unveils Dual Motor and Autopilot
    Published on Oct 10, 2014

9. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The Gen II & III's both focus a little too closely on telling the driver what to do. Frankly, the cars nag. I do NOT want a car that has a camera staring at me to see if I am doing something it Does Not Approve of.

goldfinger likes this.
  10. XMAN LIVE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Agree for the most part. I have seen a few systems trying to sell system to measure driver fatigue. I think they are cover liability issue with this feature. Data could be collected by court order and used against us. It could happen! Tesla auto pilot not trying to check on driver style or fatigue. If Tesla had a forty thousand model I would be sold.

#10 XMAN LIVE, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  11. XMAN LIVE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wow no new information on post... I will need to do some more digging soon, if no updates.

12. swich2mac

swich2mac Go Hard or Go Home!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota, PLEASE FINALLY allow a solar roof/ATP option on the gen IV!!!!!

XMAN LIVE and Eric1969 like this.
  13. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Are you bashing it solely based on its mere existence? I have the easiest solution. If you don't want it, don't buy a car that has it. I think you're pretty safe on that as only about 5% of Gen III Prius have ATP. I'd imagine the Gen IV would be about the same. I'm pretty sure it's not going to be a standard equipment for a long time. If you look at the past safety equipment history from it's first available as option, you'll know that it takes quite a few years to a decade or 2 for them to be standard equipment. Pretty much all of them have met with resistance when they first appeared on the market; seat belts, 3rd brake light, air bags, traction control, vehicle stability control, tire pressure sensor monitor, reverse camera.
    I remember back in 1990, my brother got a ticket for adding a 3rd brake light to his 84 CRX. That was the stupidest fix it ticket I've ever saw. It's like adding a pair of LED DRL or fog lights and get a fix it ticket for them.

14. XMAN LIVE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Information from Toyota Newsroom - Not very impressive to me! It is not clear that the safety features will stop the car, does not talk about sonar and blind spot detection. Sign recognition would have been expected. GPS should be integrated. Need some more information. - This article makes me think next gen will not be advanced enough for me.

Lexus to Roll Out Brand New Active Safety Package from 2015
    November 28, 2014
    Torrance, Calif, Nov. 28, 2014 -- In line with the ultimate aim of eliminating traffic fatalities and injuries, Lexus will next year launch the "Lexus Safety System +" package, a newly-developed set of active safety technologies designed to help prevent or mitigate collisions across a wide range of vehicle speeds. While Lexus vehicles already feature a wide range of safety technologies and systems based on the Integrated Safety Management Concept1, this latest package is aimed at further encouraging the uptake of safety technologies and will therefore be rolled out across all Lexus models in Japan, North America and Europe by the end of 2017.

Lexus Safety System + integrates several of Lexus's existing active safety technologies: the Pre-Collision System (PCS) helps prevent and mitigate collisions; Lane Departure Alert (LDA) helps prevent vehicles from departing from their lanes; and Automatic High Beam (AHB) helps ensure optimal forward visibility during nighttime driving. As part of a multi-faceted approach to active safety, the Lexus Safety System + package combines millimeter-wave radar with a camera, achieving high reliability and performance.

Lexus Safety System +

Lexus Safety System + combines LDA, AHB, PCS with a pedestrian detection function, and Radar Cruise Control.

Pre-collision System with pedestrian detection function (PCS)
    This system uses millimeter-wave radar and a camera to detect pedestrians in addition to vehicles. To help prevent or mitigate collisions, the system activates an audio and visual alert in addition to brake assist, followed by automated braking if the driver does not brake in time. Automated braking operates at relative speeds of between 10 to 80 km/h for potential collisions with pedestrians, and can reduce speed by approximately 30 km/h2. For potential collisions with vehicles, the PCS system operates at relative speeds of between 10 km/h and the vehicle's top speed, reducing speed by approximately 40 km/h3.

Lane Departure Alert (LDA)
    LDA uses a camera to detect white and yellow lane markings. If the vehicle starts to deviate from a lane, LDA alerts the driver with an audio-visual alert and steering wheel vibration. Some vehicles are also equipped with Lane Keep Assist, which controls power steering to make it easier for the driver to remain within lane markings.

Automatic High Beam (AHB)
    AHB helps ensure excellent forward visibility during nighttime driving. It uses a camera to detect the headlights of oncoming vehicles and the tail lights of vehicles ahead, and then automatically switches between high beams and low beams so as not to dazzle other drivers.

Radar Cruise Control
    On highways, Radar Cruise Control uses millimeter-wave radar to detect preceding vehicles and determine their speed. It then adjusts vehicle speed (within a set range) to ensure that there is a safe distance between vehicles. By using a forward-facing camera and millimeter-wave radar to monitor vehicles moving into or out of the lane, Radar Cruise Control helps maintain smooth acceleration and deceleration while driving.

Lexus Safety System + PCS Capabilities

Hazards detected
    Automated braking
    operational range
    Automated braking
    speed reduction
    Sensors
    Vehicles
    Approx. 10 km/h – top speed
    Approx. 40 km/h
    Millimetre-wave radar and camera
    Pedestrians
    Approx. 10 km/h – 80 km/h
    Approx. 30 km/h
    1The concept of integrating all of a vehicle's individual safety technologies and systems to provide a more advanced level of support to drivers in all driving situations.

2Results achieved during testing using a vehicle travelling at 30 km/h and a stationary vehicle/pedestrian; system operation depends on driving environment (including road and weather conditions) and vehicle circumstances.

3Results achieved during testing using a vehicle travelling at 40 km/h and a stationary vehicle; system operation depends on driving environment (including road and w

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only thing new that I can see is the pedestrian detection. I don't know what the previous speed limit reduction is so I don't know if 40km/h is an improvement or not. Lexus has more advanced PCS units than Toyota so we obviously can't base this press release on our Prius' system.

30km/h for pedestrian detection speed reduction basically means if you're doing the school zone speed limit, the car can stop before it hits a pedestrian. That's pretty good.

Edit: It looks like PCS braking works at a lower speed - 10km/h. The one on the Prius is active at 15km/h.

Also it appears what this press release is saying is that they want greater adoption of this suite of technology so they're going to roll it out on all Lexus models in Japan, NA and Europe by 2017. Doesn't say if it's standard or optional equipment.

#15 Tideland Prius, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  16. XMAN LIVE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just showing picture of HUD in concept picture - looks like display for Adaptive cruse control - see rear view mirror

[​IMG]

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The rear view mirror concept is a great idea!

18. XMAN LIVE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    With all the delays from Toyota, seems like they will need to step up their game. Pressure from Volvo on its way with Advanced Automated Vehicle Technology

See video

#18 XMAN LIVE, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  19. XMAN LIVE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mercedes S Class Self Driving Car - video
    Reminds me of driver education class :)

20. bisco