1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen2 Prius: Custom PIDs for Torque (Android App) with formulas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by usbseawolf2000, Jun 24, 2011.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am using PLX Kiwi Bluetooth ($99) on an Android phone with Torque application. Kiwi is plugged into OBD2 port and it communicates with Torque over bluetooth. This provides the wireless freedom to mount the beautiful screen anywhere. See a list of supported OBDII bluetooth adapters.

Kiwi can read 20 PIDs per second (reported by Torque) so I should be able to add up to 20 in multiple pages and quickly browse around.

This will only work on Gen2 Iconic Prius (2004-2009). For GenIII Prius, follow to this thread. GenIII PiP (Plugin) thread is here.

Copy the CSV file to Android SD card (could be internal memory)

Download and unzip the CSV file in ".torque/extendedpids" folder on your micro SD card. Keep in mind that ".torque" folder is hidden so set your explorer to show the hidden folders. If you don't see the folder, create it.

Import Custom PIDs

In Torque main screen, press Menu -> Settings -> Manage extra PIDs/Sensors -> Menu -> Add predefined set.

Display Custom PIDs

From the main menu (rotatable items), choose the Realtime Information. From there, you can add those custom PIDs that you imported. Just touch and hold the empty spot and a menu will come up.

[Update]: I am sharing all the CAN Bus custom PIDs in this google spreasheet.

ImportedList.JPG FromSDcard.JPG Torque.JPG

Attached Files:

#1 usbseawolf2000, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    gdanner, OBJUAN, rusmax and 22 others like this.
  2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Great work! Is the 20 PID per second limit of the Kiwi or bluetooth in general?

seckwielen likes this.
  3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think it is Kiwi's limit because torque dev said OBDLink bluetooth adapter is the fastest. I have no idea how many PIDs per second it can do.

I want to do MGs next.

1 person likes this.
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    USB, do you own a scangauge ? I am wondering if the torque app can display items you are interested in that the SG cannot.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ScanGauge II can display what I want but only 4 values at a time, on a black and white pixelized screen with a wire.

This solution has potential to display even more information that SGII cannot. It can present data in realtime graph. That is very useful for regen brake! It also has analog needle gauge, bars, digital number or combos.

2 people like this.
  6. richbutler1

richbutler1 Green Commuter

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    USB, my friend you are a genius! I just got one of those 7" tablet holders that bolt to the passenger seat rail bolt by the center console base with a flexi stalk. This coupled with a hacked Nook Color with CM7.0.3 ROM (with working Bluetooth!!!) and an ebay cheapy OBDII bluetooth reader had the RPM gauge and a couple others I was looking for. Only these Prius specific gauges were lacking...NO MORE! I just plugged them into Torque and will let you know the results shortly.

Below is a picture of my current setup. Let me know if you want someone to beta test your future custom PIDs.

Attached Files:

SteveWlf likes this.
  7. richbutler1

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    PS: USB, have you tried out the data logging? Have you found a way to log to the SD on an Android device?

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Rich,

That looks like a nice set up. Can I see more pic of the holder?

I have not tried the logging yet. I will try it tomorrow.

Let me know if the clone you got works with the HV battery.

9. richbutler1

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I tried the custom displays and was running into some 'freezes' of all. I have to try same with my 10" android tab to rule out the bluetooth quirks of the Nook Color.(was never intended to have BT enabled and known range issues) I'll let you know on my commute home.

10. richbutler1

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    USB, another couple of Q's on what displays you use and why:
    I think I saw about 12 PID's /sec on one of the settings screens for me. On my main dashboard I want RPM, HV SoC, HV Amps, HP, MPGi, MPGAvg, Cat Temp, Coolant Temp

What do you use and why? My main dash is mostly to max MPGs, what else would help me? What other useful PIDs should I have on a second page? Just curious what others thoughts are.

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Some people use Timing Advance. 14 to 15 degree supposed to give the best MPG but I don't see noticeable difference.

I am loving HV Amp in graph because I have the instant feedback of my regen brake. I am able to optimize my regen now. I have discovered that I can brake harder than I previously thought.

It also tells me how much power Prius is drawing while idling, running AC or when using my sub-woofer.

12. richbutler1

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    USB, for tablet holder, search on ebay for 'car floor seat bolt mount tablet' They have one for ~$30 for 7" tablets and 10" is ~$47. Installs in 1minutes with a 14mm(I think) socket wrench. They have some pictures up there, but I'll post more soon. I have a Nook Color 7" and a Viewsonic G-Tablet 10" both rooted with CM7.0.3 stable ROM on them. Hulu Plus, Netflix, Flash, etc. working like a charm so far.

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is it easy to hide? I am worry about attracting thieves.

14. richbutler1

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think of it like my iPhone FM Trans/charger. The charger is there, but I always take the phone. similarly, you'd take the tablet and only the flexi stalk would be left behind. I guess you could stretch it down in front of the pass. seat limiting it from view if needed. I'd think a radio in the dash would be more worrisome than this thing though. Make sense? I'd make sure my glass coverage has a low deductible in any case once you add new electronics/stereo, so I don't this would up risk in those cases.

15. richbutler1

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    USB,

I tested the custom PIDs yesterday again on my 10" tablet. No go for me. After about 1 minute I got the gauges freezing though the status icon showed connected to OBD, no errors in OBD status. I removed both and restarted. Worked without issue for 15 minutes. Added HV Amps PID, froze, removed, restarted, added HV PoC, froze, removed, restarted, went another 15 minutes with stock PIDs no issues. Any suggestions?

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Get a Kiwi bluetooth. The clones doesn't seem to work with CAN bus to show hybrid related information. I also have a clone and I end up getting a Kiwi.

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Update: Added MG2 Torque and RPM to the first post.

18. dimakoff

dimakoff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MG1 RPM:
    PID 21C3
    Equation ((g*256)+h)-16383
    Header 7e2

Works fine for me!

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yup! Torque can do multi frame now. I have been helping the author and he added Predefined Custom PIDs for Gen2 Prius. MG1 Torque is also available in there.

myennab likes this.
  20. richbutler1

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    USB, got the Kiwi BT OBD reader and it's quality. Now the PIDs stay up, stable. :rockon:

Q: My HV SoC PID seems to hover around 60% and not move much from there, where the MFD shows around 75%. Have you or others seen similar?

Q2: What are MG# RPM's measuring and used for? Maybe I'm just missing an acronym, I'm usually good at cyphering them.

Q3: Any other custom PIDs and how are you all using them?

PS: I just changed phones and now running Torque on a Sprint EVO 3D nicely, so my justification for a separate tablet to run Torque diminishes unless I keep the phone for only Pandora, etc. and dedicate the tablet for Torque :D

myennab likes this.