1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen2 Prius Emissions labels (Calfornia vs. US Federal )

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by wjtracy, Jun 8, 2014.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the interest of understanding which Gen2 Prii are "CARB-certified", I am wondering if anyone has a Gen2 Prius with a Federal style emissions label, or do we all have California style label (per below)?

So far we have looked at four Prii, and we all seem to have California labels, including my 2006 purchased in VA and JC91006 has three: a 2005 (TX heritage) and a 2006 and 2008 from CA. Note the keyword California in the last sentence in the photos below.

I am thinking, starting 2007, non-CARB states may have gone to the Federal style emissions sticker.
    >>Does anyone have an example of a Federal (different looking sticker), or does everyone just have the CA-style? Note that the emissions label is located on the under-side of your hood.

...more questions later if a trend appears

VA 2006
    View attachment 65664 [/QUOTE]

CA2006 (California emissions label)
    [​IMG]

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would be very surprised if a US member provides a photo of a Prius emissions sticker that does not assert compliance with CA emissions regs.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...the only evidence I have is my 2006 is exempt from north Virginia state emissions testing, but I believe 2007+ do have to be tested.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That sticker notes both federal and California emissions rating. I read it as one sticker for all, but pick the rating that applies to you.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My VW has a Federal style label - it specifically says this car is NOT certfiied for California emissions states

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ I take that to mean that VW did not go through CA cert, or they sell two models.
    Neither would be true for the Prius.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK I think I have a reported variation on a 2010 Gen3 (which doesn't count in this Gen2 thread) but I am thinking some CA Gen2 2009's might show the same thing: That is the Calfornia rating is upped to PZEV (vs. SULEV).

If you read the (FORD) hybrid battery warranty, in later years 2009-2010+, the PZEV rating is needed to qualify for extended battery warranty. I think Toyota adds a requirement of PZEV + car originally sold and registered in a qualifying state.

#7 wjtracy, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Patrick, but I was expecting that the CA emissions sticker should therefore say AT PZEV, but all the ones so far (2005, 2006, 2008) even from CA just say SULEV? I guess we are saying Tier 2 Bin 3 LEV-II SULEV = AT PZEV

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    >>>OK I am quickly coming to the conclusion that most (all?) USA sold Prii are CARB-certified and presumably labeled similarly. If anyone has a variation, please post a photo.

The reason northern Virginia had required emissions testing on 2008 and 2009 Prius was that the 2008 and 2009 MY were down-rated by EPA to 48 MPG EPA CITY, whereas VA exempts from emissions test those cars over 50 MPG EPA CITY. Last year, Virginia addressed this anomaly by also exempting 2008/2009 Prii from emissions testing, so now all Gen2 Prii are exempted from VA emissions testing (forever apparently - but they can catch you via remote sensor if you have a prob).

I come to the preliminary conclusion that there are two systems to qualify vehicles for CARB warranty: FORD system and TOYOTA system. FORD apparently uses the vehicle emissions hardware/emissions label to CA-certify cars, and those cars qualify for CARB based on the sticker rating and CARB state registration at time of repair (apparently without the need for FORD to internally decide how to handle state transfer cases) . In Toyota system, it appears many (all?) USA Prii are CA-ceritified, but Toyota chooses to have a set of rules to define which cars qualify for CARB: must be sold, registered and used in a CARB state. Honda seems to be more like Toyota (but Honda does not seem to say car has to sold in a CARB state), and I have not checked Chevy Volt yet.

#10 wjtracy, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From Toyota's point of view, why would they offer the longer CARB hybrid and emissions warranties in non-CARB states? There is nothing in that for them except higher warranty costs.

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...no question you are absolutely correct about that. The main question surrounds Prii relos into CARB states (VA/DC to MD in my region) and trying to understand how those cases are handled, and if there are differences in rules for different companies (which I now think the answer is a resounding YES there are different rules for FORD vs. TOYOTA etc. regarding the more complex cases where an owner is moving to different states).

PS- I made an edit to my prior post re: FORD is not offering CARB warranty to non-CARB states either, but the difference is FORD apparently bases qualification for CARB warranty on state of registration at time of repair (if I understand correctly). But then with FORD you must have the correct CA-certified emissions rating on your label for either STANDARD CARB or AT PZEV for the sought after HV battery warranty extension.

#12 wjtracy, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014