1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting an average of 35 mpg in city? Why?

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by Britt Jacobsen, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Britt Jacobsen

Britt Jacobsen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I deliver mail out of my 2014 Prius C and noticed that my MPG is only about 30-35 MPG? What am I doing wrong?! I thought stop and go driving is the best way to get the best MPG? Any thoughts?

2. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i am just guessing that actually stopping, then going 150 feet then stopping again, repeat for four hours VERSUS driving in stop and go traffic by going 20mph then 30mph then slowing then 20mph 30mph then slowing, perhaps stopping repeat for one hour each way are two different things. so then your 30 to 35mpg might be awesomely high. i hope you are having fun with the car. i treat mine like a go-kart hotrod.

mahout, vskid3 and Britt Jacobsen like this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Assuming you are new to the hybrid world, you need to learn and live the phrase: pulse and glide. Then, your fuel economy will skyrocket.

4. Britt Jacobsen

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yes I am new....ok I will have to read up on that driving method.

5. Britt Jacobsen

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yes I love the car. I am thinking it will be the best car I have owned. My Tacoma gave me no problems but I needed the better MPG.

6. Britt Jacobsen

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So the pulse and glide method is just not using brakes as much? Literally pulse on the gas pedals when accelerating? I figure it's best to keep the RPM's low to keep the car in automatic EV mode? Correct? Any other tricks I should know about?

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    In a nutshell yes but there's more to it than that (read up some more). You have the HUGE advantage of both knowing your route and your next stop. Also, I assume very little traffic to dictate speeds pushing you to go faster than necessary.

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Hint: gliding is not coasting (foot off the gas).

Britt Jacobsen likes this.
  9. Britt Jacobsen

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting...I will have to read up on it. I noticed I could take advantage of the manual EV mode in some parts of the route when my stops are close together but wouldn't it automatically go into EV mode when the required conditions are met? Is it necessary to use the button?

10. Britt Jacobsen

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And ECO mode is a combo of Electric and Gas and the Power mode is all gas?

11. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Trying to stay in EV can actually hurt your mileage if you use it enough for the engine to have to kick on and charge the battery. A lot of it comes down to experience, just keep in mind that the gas engine is most efficient when it has a good load on it, like accelerating, so take advantage of it. When I say its most efficient when accelerating, I don't mean that the MPGs are necessarily the greatest, but that its making the most power per unit of fuel used. The EV mode button is more of a gimmick and is really only useful for moving the car around the driveway without having the engine kick on. You can use your foot on the gas pedal to dictate what power source its using. My Gen2 doesn't even have the mode buttons, but I can usually make the car do what I want using my trained foot on the gas.

What is your route like? From Google Maps, it looks like it could be dense neighborhoods or houses a quarter mile apart or more.

12. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The ECO and PWR only change the throttle response of the gas pedal, so PWR feels more powerful because the power kicks in sooner. The available power is the same in any of the mode (neither mode active is normal mode). If you floor it in ECO, it'll be just as fast as in PWR. The one other difference is I believe ECO mode runs the AC more efficiently, which I assume means not quite as cold.

13. Britt Jacobsen

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I am a rural carrier. Some parts are in dense neighborhoods and some are houses that are miles apart. Some highway driving, some dirt roads and some driving in the city. One of my routes is 119 miles and one is only 24. I am a sub so I move around a lot.

14. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can leave it in normal and the vehicle will choose for you the mode.

15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It can get confusing for hybrid newbies but always remember this: all of your EV comes from burning gas. So you want to pulse on gas in the most efficient manner (your gauges tell you) and then glide (EV but as little EV as possible to last longer) to your next stop. If the distance is too long, the P&G again. Rinse, lather, repeat.....

Make a game of it (a money saving game).

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what was the tacoma giving you for mpg's on your mail route?

17. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    EV mode almost always uses MORE gas over time than other modes.
    Eco mode does two things, it slows the gas pedals sensitivity so you push farther for the same amount of acceleration and it makes the A/C less powerful to save energy.
    Pwr mode does the opposite to the gas pedal, small changes greatly change the acceleration near the top of travel. (I do not think the c has Pwr mode)

If you push the pedal all the way to the floor all modes are identical, there is not really more power.

The Prius likes to cruise, but your use will not involve much cruising. Brake gently enough that power can be regenerated back to the battery.
    You may wish to start a thread here about rural mail delivery, we have several letter carriers who can give tips. Also Pizza delivery, paperboys, etc. Someone like me who sets cruise control for 90 miles at a time will not have tips for your use.

minkus and Britt Jacobsen like this.
  18. Britt Jacobsen

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Good idea!

19. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    This is a result in my former CMax hybrid using P&G in the city over and over and over...... for 44 miles like a taxi.

[​IMG]

The Prius C can/should do even better.

#19 fotomoto, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    huh? better than the plug in?