1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting Tinted Tomorrow - Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by FUUFNF, Apr 25, 2012.

1. FUUFNF

FUUFNF Forum Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If my understanding is correct, the Wincos is the only ceramic film TW Tinting uses. The other option, Charcool, is regular tint. I believe both Wincos and Charcool are Madico brand films.

Tinting all 10 windows (not including the windshield) with Wincos ceramic was $350. The same job using Charcool was just $160. Tinting the windshield with Wincos cost an additional $150.

1 person likes this.
  2. FUUFNF

FUUFNF Forum Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, the CA vehicle code does not allow tint on the front windows (along with a number of other things such as stickers, things hanging off of the rear view mirror, etc.), but it is pretty normal to see people in SoCal driving around with their front windows tinted. My old Tundra had its windows tinted and I never had any issues. I think if you tint within reason (maybe 5% limo tint might draw too much attention), the police usually won't hassle you. And if you happen to run into an officer who's not as forgiving, take the tint off, and put it back on (if you want). Not that big of a deal. Leo @ TW Tinting said if I get a fix-it ticket, he'd take off the old tint and put it back on for $70. But he also said that very few of his customers ever had to do that.

3. FUUFNF

FUUFNF Forum Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, technically it's not legal. But if you put 60s or 70s in the Wincos ceramic, those are barely noticeable. They look clear with a slight blue hue. You may not get the benefit of privacy, but they still dramatically reduce UV and IR rays. I highly doubt you'd get cited for using those. BTW, the ceramic films look a lot lighter than the regular films. Go by the shop, check out the sample board, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

1 person likes this.
  4. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I might check out Leo when I move to LA. Thinkin bout getting some work done. :p

5. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thats perfect.. and the price you paid was pretty good.. if I ever had to do it over (I hope not), I would go with the same as you did.

1 person likes this.
  6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as California goes, SoCal has a unique situation where everyone and their brother has dark tint so you are less likely to get pulled over for 35% or less on the front windows AND tinters are a dime a dozen so labor rates tend to be cheap. :)

I just had mine done using 15% Llumar CTX in the rear (thanks to TheCritic) and 50% SunTek cheap stuff on the front two windows. So far it blends pretty well but 35% would have been better on the front. After two tickets in my GenII Prius I decided to play it safe this time.

7. FUUFNF

FUUFNF Forum Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    OK, so here's my PiP with her new "shades".

So we have 20s around the back, 30s up front, and 70 on the windshield. All Wincos ceramics. Total cost $500 out the door. Leo is a super nice guy, and I would definitely recommend his shop to any PriusChatters out there who are considering using TW Tinting.

Just one thing that might be worth mentioning... Leo only hand-cuts his films. I've heard varying opinions about which is better (hand-cut versus machine cut), but as far as I can tell, every cut looks pretty clean to me - maybe not laser precision perfect (if that's even possible), but you'd really have to look extremely hard to find any "imperfections". Leo insists that hand-cut films contour the edges of the windows better (I guess machine cut films leave more of a gap), but since I can't roll down the windows yet I can't confirm or deny that yet.

Still, I'm very pleased so far on how the job came out. It's not too light and not so dark that it's an obvious fix-it ticket waiting to happen. In person the tint doesn't look very dark - the tint looks darker in the pictures. Also visibility seems to be extremely good from the inside looking out (the films were still a little cloudy because they haven't cured all the way yet) and I don't expect any issues seeing at night. Lastly, the reduced heat from the ceramic films is very noticeable - I could barely pick up any heat coming through the windows, and it was a fairly sunny day today.

Attached Files:

8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ^ That car looks good. Really good. Unfortunately that tint combo probably would not last more than a couple hours up here.

9. FUUFNF

FUUFNF Forum Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ha! Good thing I live down here in the sun. :)

10. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, that looks real sharp. i always wanted to do this but never really found a place i could trust to do it right.

11. goblue

goblue New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Indeed, the job looks very clean. How is it a day after?

I'm thinking about Llumar CTX or the Wincos Ceramic. A local shop tells me that they are virtually the same and is quoting me the same price for them. But everything I have read tells me that Wincos are probably better, especially in reducing IR. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The car looks good, FUUFNF!

I'd get a ticket so fast in that thing. LOL

13. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Llumar is the largest mfg in the world. But I think their CTX is a lower-end ceramic film. IIRC, winco was made to compete with the higher end ceramic films? Someone please correct me if I am wrong...

MB860 ? 2

1 person likes this.
  14. FUUFNF

FUUFNF Forum Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, I don't really know which is better, Llumar CTX or Wincos. But more than likely, your film selection will be limited by the shop you choose. I suppose you can choose a shop based on the films you used, but I decided to go with TW Tinting because they have a excellent reputation and a flawless 5-star Yelp review.

1 person likes this.
  15. FUUFNF

FUUFNF Forum Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks!

Ha!... The benefit of living in sun baked SoCal I suppose. I actually drove past a CHP cruiser on the way home from the shop. He didn't even glance in my direction. Probably too distracted by the number of cars next to me with 5% limos on their fronts. LOL

16. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, yes...In NorCal tinted windows are generally uncommon so it's especially hard to get away with the illegal stuff. In SoCal everybody and their sister has tinted windows and Altezza style taillights.

FUUFNF - Just blast this song when you drive.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE-pFgfl0Sg"]Ya Boy [YB The Rockstar] & Problem ft. Clyde Carson - Slow Down [Exclusive D.J. Amen Remix New 2012] - YouTube[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  17. FUUFNF

FUUFNF Forum Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  18. darkspark

darkspark newly bought a Prius!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice ride! and I see you got no front plate as well :D Did it come that way from the dealer, or you took it off? (Are there holes if you took it off?)

19. FUUFNF

FUUFNF Forum Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the compliment.

I specifically asked the dealer who I pre-ordered my PiP from to not put on the front plate mount. I'm not sure if that's something they do at port or at the dealership.

20. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Air Blue 80 on untinted glass would be legal, but not on the Prius as the front windshield is already tinted 80% in the glass, putting the aggregate below CA legal limit.

Looks great! Dark tints are the way to go on BP.