1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Glass-Paved Roads Provide Solar Power

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jul 9, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Design News - Blog - Video: Glass-Paved Roads Provide Solar Power
    Wished I'd thought of it!

It would make a neat railroad solution too. Electric trains instead of diesels!

Bob Wilson

Chazz8 likes this.
  2. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I can't imagine how expensive this would be. First, just the mechanical parts below to support cells is probably just as expensive as a road. Each hexagon has LEDs and control circuitry.

This isn't a cost or energy saver, IMO. Perfect for an amusement park walkway, maybe, in addition to a railroad station walkway.

Mike

3. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Great idea, but a nightmare to manage. How many tiles might be stolen from such a system?

4. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Since they are all networked I guess you could track them down via the MAC address :)

But that isn't what is dumb about them. Here are a few of the many dumb/costly things:
    1. The idea of using the LEDs as lane markers. Seriously? How much power would that take during daylight to see them?
    2. The degradation of solar power due to the poor angle to the sun, shading (cars do drive on them), dirt and grit, etc minus all the LED lights and network connections make the net yield of solar PV probably negative
    3. Wouldn't it be cheaper to build a regular road and cover the sidewalks on either side with south facing/tilted solar that is actually a net energy gain?
    4. Roads need to be smooth for good mpg for cars...roads need to have good friction for proper handling and braking. Miss the mark on the combination of the two of these and you lose energy and/or safety regardless of any solar gain.
    5. Nonsense about heating them in snow. It will just cause more ice somewhere...and the power to melt the ice wouldn't be coming from the sun.

Like I said...this might be a good idea for a theme park walkway or even a small section of a road where you drop off a car for a valet.