1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM releases some teasers for Volt 2.0

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Ashlem, Oct 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    2016 Chevy Volt: Bigger Battery, More Motor Power, New Range Extender Engine Details

They don't give specifics, but they're hinting at various things, such as a more efficient battery, an engine that uses regular gas, and attempting to eke out more electric range miles.

I'm really curious to see what the new stats will look like, and if it will spur more sales for it. But I guess we'll have to wait till the Detroit Auto Show in a few months.

2. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Volt 2.0 engine will be much alike the "Prius way".
    Toyota, thank you for the teaching! The biggest manufacturer has proven its know-how.
    Fortunately for the future 2.0 Volt users...

Zythryn and austingreen like this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We are going to have to wait until January for efficiency and range, but there are some interesting details.

The engine is going to be a DI 1.5L aluminum block 4-cylinder that will use regular gas. One of the new Ecotec engines coming out in the new Cruze for China, and likely replacement of the 1.8L in the US one. With some modifications for the Volt; higher compression ratio, cooled EGR, and wider valve timing to allow near Atkinson cycle. It is about the same weight as the current 1.4L, no higher by the article. Sounds like the the 1L turbo lost out to NVH.

It is using a smaller, more efficient alternator built right into the transmission. Claiming 130lbs of weight savings to the drive train. The two M/Gs are also 100lbs lighter, but it isn't clear if that is part of, or in addition too the drive train savings. The motors are now one unit; 2 rotors using one stator, and both can propel the car. There is now 5 drive modes over the current 4.

The total number of cells in the battery pack dropped, but the volumetric energy density is 20% higher than the 2015's. So roughly the same total voltage. The pack is roughly the same size, but 30lbs lighter than the current one with lower center of gravity. The energy capacity is higher with a wider range used, but the specific details are wait and see.

4. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Forget the 3 cylinder 1.0L engine rumors. The new engine is a semi-Atkinsonized 1.5L aluminum 4 cylinder. New pack has fewer but higher density cells. New transmission with a more efficient integrated inverter.

The new pack uses 192 cells vs the 288 of the old pack. So, they are now using 2 cells in parallel instead 3 in 96 groups at the same total voltage.

Interestingly, the Spark EV uses 192 LG cells in a 19 kwh pack. They are also apparently using at least the same existing 68-69% SOC range as the 2014-2015 Volt. This implies at least 12.9 kWh of usable charge and 44+ miles of EPA range.

Here's an unexpected change...

According to the FB chat taking place right now with a GM engineering executive on the Volt FB page, they got rid of the "traditional" 120v charge cord with its clunky EVSE box. The 2016 Volt will have the 120v EVSE box functionality built into the car (so it can't be stolen). There will be some new way of connecting to a 120v standard outlet. Maybe a vacuum clear style arrangement where you can pull a spooled 120v charge cord from the car?

#4 Jeff N, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    telmo744 likes this.
  5. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'll take it if it seats 5 people.

dbcassidy and F8L like this.
  6. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    They are holding back on the interior design details today -- just powertrain and battery details. The GreenCarReports story is being updated with more details. It has more details about the new electric motors than it did when I first read it.

The Critic likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It appears to still be a T-shaped pack. With fewer cells, and lower mounting, a fifth seat, straddling the hump may be possible.
    That is a good idea, if the spring does break or it's a hand reel. I know after the first week, I'd mostly just be tossing the EVSE into the back seat unwrapped, or just leaving it in the garage.

Domestic content is up to 70%. 2016 Chevrolet Volt To Use New 1.5-Liter Four As Range Extender Engine

#7 Trollbait, Oct 28, 2014
  8. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I haven't seen anything yet about the shape but with fewer cells it's possible that the section of the old pack that blocked the middle legroom area has now been freed up in order to allow for a 3 person bench seat in the rear.

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There was a photo of a display in the article. Image: 2016 Chevrolet Volt powertrain detail - lithium-ion battery pack - advance briefing, Oct 2014, size: 1024 x 1394, type: gif, posted on: October 28, 2014, 12:52 pm - Green Car Reports

It is slightly "smaller in dimension". How much smaller determines if a fifth seat is possible. The photo looks like the hump with be higher than a typical FWD car, but realistically, a +1 seat for a kid or car seat would be enough to widen the next Volt's appeal to more families.

10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep this is much more like the prius engine. My guess is they tested both ices. The one picked is less expensive and lower nvh, and I'm guessing the 1L turbo's weight savings and efficiency didn't justify the extra cost.

Next-generation Volt more fuel efficient, longer range
    my guess is hwy mpg only jumps from 40 to 42 mpg, city mileage may increase more. We can assume the car remains much heavier and less aerodynamic than the prius, so 42mpg hwy versus 48 mpg hwy on the prius might have similarly effiecient drivetrains in charge sustain.

Interesting changes

Lots of details about the battery pack , but 3 key ones were left out. What is the capacity? what is the usable SOC? Did they make it small enough to put a 5th seat in the back? I guess those are answers for january.

General Motors Releases Official Details On Voltec For Next-Gen Chevy Volt
    We get two guesses from insideevs

I have no idea if they are right, but it seems like Mary Barra would have mentioned a 5th seat if there was one, so if it gets something it will probably at most be a spot for a child's seat.

As to 50 mile aer, that sounds wildly optimistic, but my guess is 43 miles range;) Number pulled wildly out of the air from the clue that 80% of commute miles are electric and they wanted to make that 90%, if they were basing 80% from 38 mile range of the 2014.

11. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Why can't GM get it right? All other mainstream hybrids and plugins seat 5 people so it can be done. Did they patent the T shaped battery? What's wrong with spreading the batteries to yield a flat pack like the Teslas and the RAV4 EV? It'll lower the center of gravity even more than that stupid T shaped pack. If they're worry about the exhaust pipe and fuel line, separate the pack into 2 flat packs so the exhaust and fuel line can run between them. As good as their engineering in getting the most range and barely acceptable mileage, they're loosing so much sale because 4 seats is just not enough. Fuel economy and range is not everything.

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    GM did have skateboard EV concepts. The EV1 used a T-shape one though. With an engine, motors, and transmission in the front, the T-shape likely helps spread weight to the rear. The temperature control system for the pack may simply be cheaper for a T-shape.

After all the press Tesla got with the fires, avoiding a flat pack might be a reasonable idea if you don't want to make the material and weight cost to shield it.

If the Volt remains a compact, or even becomes a small midsize, a fifth isn't going to be more usable than a +1 kid seat. We don't know the specific dimensions of the new pack or even if the car grew in size or not.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    to me, size would be the biggest factor in future sales increases. it's just too small for most needs.

dbcassidy likes this.
  14. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder what 5th mode is brought new to this car...

"Leap-frog mode"? :p

dbcassidy likes this.
  15. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  16. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Poor managent?
    Seriously though the volt has been the best selling plug-in in north america and 2nd best selling in the world. So those other companies (everyone but tesla, nissan, and chevy) probably managed their plug-in programs worse.

The rumors and now these facts should make sure that people wait for the next gen volt. Leaf was leading but will definitely win north america in 2014, and probably the leaf and model S both beat the volt until the new one comes out.

My guess is they heard from customers that they wanted more range and lower cost, and not many said I need a 5th seat. That doesn't mean that a 5th seat wouldn't help sales, but it would cost more to redesign the pack and gm didn't spend the money. BMW solved the heat issue by putting the ice in the back, and a rear engined awd or rwd car might be the best packaging. It would add to the price though.

I think some people want a 4 door sedan with a trunk. The fusion energi has good interior room, but poor aer (18 miles) and poor trunk. Other's want a CUV, and the outlander phev is coming next year. I think chevy's best bet is to design a awd CUV around voltec. That could supply a higher driving position and more interior room, but give up hwy efficiency and range. There are rumored other vehicles coming soon.

I think from reading inside ev its performance mode where you get better acceleration at the expense of efficiency. The cadilac ELR has similar hardware to the current volt but accelerates faster and less efficiently.

#16 austingreen, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014
  17. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Here's the GM PR:

Next-Generation Chevrolet Volt Features All-New Voltec Propulsion System for More Efficiency

It's interesting they say that they get 20% better acceleration using both of the electric motors together. That is maybe, just maybe, a clue that the rearranged transmission internals include a switch from output split to input split ( like the prius) where the larger motor directly drives the output shaft to the wheels instead of driving it indirectly via a planetary gear. This would allow the smaller electric motor to additively contribute to acceleration where today it would get overpowered by the bigger motor which why they have to switch to series mode during hard acceleration so the engine and smaller motor are unclutched from the planetary gears. This would be more efficient at slower car speeds and allow more gas engine blending when in hybrid mode with an "empty" battery.

Maybe. Or maybe not.

#17 Jeff N, Oct 28, 2014
  18. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The original volt design only had mgb driving the wheels, but gm found high speed acceleration wasn't fast enough so they used mga, the generator motor to speed it up. In gen II I think they designed from the ground up for 2 motors, which means motor sizing is likely differant as may be the gearing, and allows for the 5%-12% improved efficiency. The big thing for acceleration though is not efficiency but battery power. Is the new battery power high enough, or does the ice blend in some more power. It will be interesting to see.

19. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    While the 5th seat is important to many, it is the change to using regular instead of premium that I like.

Zythryn likes this.
  20. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    No, that's wrong. That's a common misconception about the Volt powertrain design. High acceleration in the original Volt uses only MGb for high torque (acceleration) for the reason I mentioned earlier. MGa is clutched in only for an efficiency improvement by lowering the rpm of MGb at higher vehicle speeds (50-60 mph in EV mode).
    I seriously doubt there will be any ICE blending while there is battery charge remaining. Volt 2.0 is still an EREV. From the FB chat I have the impression that the new battery has a little more power.

InsideEVs is reporting Volt 2.0 acceleration will be 0-60 in just over 7 seconds vs 8.5-9.0 today.

F8L and austingreen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.