1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM's 100% EV, the Chevy Spark

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Feb 28, 2012.

1. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That really depends on what you mean by "dozens and dozens" and how you define "high mpg car".

2. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    People figure the high gas prices will only last a few months, then get "cheap" again. Gas is $2 and spikes to $3, then falls to the cheap $2.50. Spikes to $4 then falls to $3.50. Spikes to $5 and falls to cheap $4 gas! It's easy to train the masses to accept the steady increase this way without causing drastic changes to their buying habits.

3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Once again, I'm just totally unimpressed with Government Motors (GM). It looks to me that they're blindly throwing darts at the board to see what sticks (a terrible business plan). They also appear to be playing catch up all the time. It's so disappointing. They always seem one step behind :(.

4. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They are once again the biggest auto maker in the USA, and the world. I thought to be number one in the world has always been every automakers bussiness plan.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It only took a devastating earthquake, tsunami, and recession to make that dream reality again for GM... When the dollar goes down, Toyota profit in Yen goes down or MSRP in USD goes up.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not so.
    GM has been caught in another lie ... It's like when GM says, "we paid back the Government Money". No GM ... you didn't ... not until the Feds no longer own your stock. Count THAT money and you've got a LONG way to go. So . . . .when GM lips are moving, all you have to do is figure out the double-speak. Here's how it goes . . .
    From the #1 auto seller ... VW:
    GM's 2011 Sales Top Industry, for Now - WSJ.com
    There in lies (emphasis lies) the irony . . . GM LOVES to wave the American flag in their U.S. commercials. Baseball, apple pie, and Chevrolet. How funny. GM ownes a stake in Chinese auto manufacturing, and throws THAT amount into their mix to falsely claim, "Were back ... We are #1" . . . . and then they say they're not focussing on the #1 positioning thing.
    right.
    Has anything changed since GM exec's pulled up in private jets ... just to beg congress for banko bailout money? . . . . only to be embarrassed into re-thinking how pathetic that looked ... wherein their PR folks saw to it next time their exec's would be arriving in a van pool? Geez.
    So . . . who is #1 ??
    Nissan?
    :scared:
    the wall street journal article also reports that - turning how you arrive at your numbers . . .
    Now THAT really gave me pause. But . . . using GM's number tweeking . . . it definately takes them out of the #1 spot.

7. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes a huge amount of sales of gm are in china. Who wouldn't want to they will be buying just as many cars as we do. They don't just own a little stake there, they are the biggest non chinese auto maker in china. GM has been invertings tons of money in china for well over a decade. They have to pair with a company in the country. If you can use a "alliance" to count auto sales, GM+ Toyota were the number one auto makers for a decade or two when they worked together.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but the non-EV version's price was announced recently.
    2013 Chevrolet Spark to start at $12,995*

I wonder how much the EV version will be and whether people will want to buy it given that people might say" "Why would you pay _____ (presumably much higher the ICE version) for an electric version of a $13K car?"

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's true of any EV version of a traditional car, and why there are the tax credits on the battery. Otherwise plug ins would be selling at even lower numbers.

10. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    $13k for an a-segment car!? Holy cow! Think of a-segment cars as smaller and much more cheaply made cars than what you normally regard as the cheapest means of transportation (Versa, Spark, Yaris) and this price seems extraordinary.

11. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting, any differences between the two other than the battery? Trim, Nav, etc...

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Throwing darts is an excellent analogy.

My blogs are filled with the ever-changing story from GM. They basically say whatever to draw attention, knowing they can change their minds later without consequence. The business thrives on having a spotlight.

They just keep spending money hoping something finally captures the market, focusing on want rather than need. It's a troubling situation. There's nothing to build upon. The situation is quite a mess.

It makes me wonder how the Spark EV will actually be promoted.

13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think that if you look at what's happened over the past few years GM is definitely not throwing random darts.

GM is behind in most areas on fuel economy and have been working to lower incentives (pick-ups distort incentive levels) but are doing well with the Sonic, Cruze and Equinox. Malibu and Impala have a platform update coming but are still selling OK.

The introduction of the Chevy Spark is an attempt to hit the treble 20 next to the Sonic and Cruze. It's re-entering the cheap car market that manufacturers have left to the Versa as they've improved their B segment amenities to C segment levels and increased prices. In a typical month 10,000 Versas are sold and last month over 15,000 Versas were sold: GM wants a piece of the pie.

GM are more car-focused now than they've been for a long time, sales are solid, they're bringing in customers new to GM, costs are under control, perceived quality is up, they're making a sizable profit and they still have plenty of room to improve on fuel economy and increase sales further in a market that's downsizing.

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is that surprise at the price being high or low?

The Smart fortwo starts around the same price as the Spark, and the Scion iQ is $16k. The Versa sedan might actually be lower with a manual and older, less efficient engine. Hyundia/Kia might be within a thousand of that price, but the others' b segments all start around $15k.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Nissan Versa per 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan | Nissan USA starts at $10,990. This latest redesign hasn't gotten good reviews.

The price went up from the previous gen's cheapest model: 2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Base - Feature - Car and Driver.

16. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On the cheapest '12 Versa (the 1.6S), it's already included.

I guess given the step up in price of the '12 Versa, they added a fair bit of stuff that wasn't included in the cheaper '09 1.6 base, like standard AC, an AM/FM CD stereo w/aux input jack (vs. no stereo) and a clock.

18. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Let me put it this way. I could buy nearly 3 Chevrolet Sparks (Daewoo Matiz) for the price of my single Toyota iQ.

Yet, I chose the smaller car.

19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you power windows and mirrors, remote keyless entry, bluetooth, or a tachometer, you have to upgrade to the SV for another $4000. We really can't compare until we know the details here. The Smart might be had cheaper than the Spark if you didn't want a radio.

Ok, without a clue of common car prices where you are, I couldn't gauge the extraordinary comment.

20. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II