1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Going from a 2011 Sonata to 2013 Prius 3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Steve terry, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I had my sonota, I got 29 mpg combined. Drove speed limit on highway (75 mph) 900 miles a month to work and about 200 in city running around. No issue with mpg. But then I decided to get out from under a car with more issues as it got more miles. Have been talking about getting a prius for a year. GOT IT.
    Now I am getting 48 ish driving same route. Problem is, according to my wife. I am addicted to getting a few more mpg out of my prius. It is just a rush to get a few more miles out of each gallon. I was complaning to a friend that I only got 37 mpg when I drove to work one day into a 30 mph south wind. He made me laugh when he said he has a truck and gets 15 mpg on a good day.
    Point is I LOVE MY PRIUS. And because of this site, I have learned more about this car than I ever knew about any car. PS when I drive 65 I get 50 mpg to and from work.

Sorry for running on.

2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don't let your wife derail your excitement.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It happened to me too with our first Prius, a used 2003. In less than a month, I became the Prius equivalent of a 'gear head.'

Strange, I found more in common with the 'gear heads' at work because they at least understood the terms I would use. Most car owners have to be taught automotive, engineering terms before they can begin to appreciate what Toyota has done. So we simplify it with MPG.

Bob Wilson

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and don't let the prius derail your marraige!:p

5. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you just get your Prius? Don't get used to the current mpg, when cold weather gets here, it'll go down. But it'll still be better than other cars.

6. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My wife is the same with me. But I'm like you, driving for a few more MPG is like playing a video game for me. I simply always try to do the best I can.

7. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bought it July 13th 2013 but have made some roads trips and just turned on 4,000 miles yesterday. On the cold mpg, does the cold effect highway miles. Seems like once it is warmed up that it would stay warm. I drive 75 miles round trip 3 days a week for work. I will try the grill block. Same Q for a/c if I am driving highway and the ice is always running then it should not effect the battery as much.

8. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

In the winter time, you not only have to deal with the cold air, the gas you buy has the winter mix which has less energy in it. In addition, in winter time, the cold air is more dense and your tires will be more stiff. But don't worry, all other cars will do worse in the winter as well so relatively speaking, the Prius's mpg still look good.

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Get a dozen roses at the grocery store and tell your wife,"I got these with the gas money we saved."

Bob Wilson

KarenEliz4, jgilliam1955 and bisco like this.
  10. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was thinking that the more money I save on gas, the more money my wife has to shop with. So it is a loose loose situation. But roses are a good idea.

11. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    congrats.. im with you... just got mine about 3 weeks ago and just love driving to work & everywhere else in this thing. Never in a million years would i think i would actually like this car, but its just fun trying to get the max MPG out of it everyday.
    I drive 120ml round trip to work daily all freeway driving and i get 52MPG... not bad IMO seeing how its only rated to get 48 on the highway :cool:

Steve terry likes this.
  12. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do enjoy the ride and going slower on the highway is a little relaxing. In the city I don't have to worry about slowing down because there are always cars going slower then me. But it is more relaxing just driving and not trying to get out from behind a slow car. I just put 5,000 miles on my prius in just 8 weeks.

13. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Nice! im at 3200 in 4 weeks...

14. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I usually drive less than 320mi. per month!!

15. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    after a few winters of dismal readings it takes the fun out of it. but it does better than anything else out there .