1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Going through an automated car wash

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by JB88, May 23, 2013.

1. JB88

JB88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi everyone,

I'm a brand new Prius owner. I've noticed various threads regarding car washes, but I just want to confirm: when I pull up to an automated car wash and the attendant tells me to put the car in neutral, I'm simply going to do what anyone in a fully gas-operated vehicle would do? Just switch it into neutral and let the rest take care of itself? Do I need to worry about the battery being charged to a certain level? Don't touch the "power" button, correct?

Just wanted to hear from seasoned Prius drivers and prevent any sort of disasters!

Thank you!

2. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you stick it in neutral, just remember that you have to hold it to the left for a couple seconds, it isn't the quick movement that you will be accustomed to, and then if you have the air on, stick it on recirculating. But, any car wash is going to walk you through it. My other half didn't know you had to hold the lever to neutral for a couple seconds and the car wash people did. Must happen all the time with a Prius. ;) Otherwise, leave your car on.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a few threads about this experience.

I've read that you DO want to make sure your battery is well charged, The Prius can't charge the battery in neutral. If the state of charge drops too low while IN the car wash it can automatically shift out of neutral in an attempt to save the battery.

So I've heard the best procedure is to make sure your battery is well charged before entering and simply keep any and all unnecessary accessories OFF.

Shifted into Park in Automatic Car Wash | PriusChat

4. Rupert B Puppenstein

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How long are you in the car wash? Maybe two minutes? My battery has been fine and my car has never shifted out of neutral, nor did my car wash ever mention that they have had that happen ever. Most of us don't let our batteries get that low with city driving.

5. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really my point.

Click on the link...."most of us" might not let our battery get that low- but it HAS happened.

It's just something to be aware of...because however remote the possibility it can and evidently has happened, at least once. I think for some the concern is being in a long line waiting for the car wash.

6. Rupert B Puppenstein

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did click on the link. I think if it happened so much that there would be warnings at car washes. The wash I go to belongs to the brother in law of the guy that sold me the Prius. I would imagine if that was a concern, then different procedures would be followed for anyone driving a Prius. He just mentioned that he has to tell people how to put the car in neutral all the time. I did a quick google search and it seemed to be a problem with the previous generation, not the current one.

7. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You keep applying YOUR personal experience...great...

But the OP is asking if there are any concerns and what is the BEST protocol to apply.

IMO the best protocol is to make sure your battery is in a good state of charge before entering...shift into neutral and just keep any and all accessories turned off.

The OP in the thread I link- was driving a 3rd Gen. I don't think it really matters. I think the bottom line truth is that if you are in neutral and for whatever reason your battery state of charge should fall too low...either in a parking lot, or while you are going through a car wash the vehicle will by design put you in park.

Whether this has happened once...or 300 times is rather immaterial. IMO the fact that it could happen makes the above protocol the best protocol to follow....

My purest opinion is avoid a drive through car wash completely. Too many horror stories of scratches and paint damage...but that's a personal opinion and up to each individual.