1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good battery, won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DaisyDean, Sep 30, 2008.

1. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just curious, did you jump at the battery or at the jump start terminal under the hood?

And thanks for posting your diagnosis. Too many threads you never hear what was the final outcome. I hope your inverter is OK!

2. DaisyDean

DaisyDean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The dealer won't have the fuse until Friday so we won't find out until then or later. Thank you so much, everyone. If you want to know what happened post a followup to this reply and let me know.

3. DaisyDean

DaisyDean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I jumped at the jump start terminal under the hood.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Daisy,

Yes, please let us know the final resolution to the issue.
    Thanks!

5. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's still the issue of what drained the battery in the first place...

6. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How many times have you had to jump the Prius battery?

Why is the most important information always left out of the initial HELP!post?

All too often it come to light, after 4 pages of post, that in fact, the car was wrecked, the battery was jumped, the part was hanging for weeks........

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. If you've had to jump a battery more than once, that battery is toast and needs replacing.

If you have had to jump multiple batteries then some underlying problem is killing them, and will continue to kill them unless fixed.
    - Are there any aftermarket electronics installed?
    - Does someone leave a door or hatch open, or fail to shut the car OFF properly?
    - Was the car a salvage or in an accident?

8. DaisyDean

DaisyDean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The solution is in, and you were right about it, Patrick. Don't tell anyone but my physicist friend said he "could have" reversed the polarity on the jump! He wasn't wearing his glasses. So the fuseable link was replaced and the car is fine. My friend paid the repair bill and bought my lunch so no complaints here. As for why the battery drained in the first place--my guess would be the SKS. I thought I turned it off before I left the car for a week but I guess I did not. Thanks again to everyone. (And to 9G-Man, I think if posters were smart enough to know all the most "important" information, they wouldn't be posting here!)

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Daisy,

Thanks for the update. I am relieved to hear that the inverter was not damaged, which was a very likely outcome.

I strongly suggest that Prius owners should not allow a well-meaning third party to participate in the jump, since the cost of an error can be into the four figures if the inverter was damaged.