1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GOOD FIND! The BEST and correct size replacement radiator hose clamps for all PRII

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mike500, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I posted this information on the GEN II forum, bit it would be appropriate for most all Prius and Japanese cars.

I bought several sizes of these clamps and found this one SIZE to be the correct size for most all Japanese car radiator hoses.

I just posted this review on Amazon.com

The correct size for radiator hoses on most all four and six cylinder Japanese cars. THE ONES to BUY!

This is the correct size radiator hose clamp for most Japanese cars form four cylinder to V6 engines.

I used them on a 2003 Toyota Corolla with a 1.8L engine.

After sixteen years of using the OEM hose clamps, I discovered that the hose on the engine input neck of my 3L V6 1998 Mazda was leaking. Apparently the OEM hose clamp did not provide enough spring tension.
    This hose clamp is 1-3/8 inch diameter at full closure. It opens all the way to two inches. It worked fine on the 1-7/8 inch hose on the Mazda.

It was a tight fit, but it held better than the OEM clamps.

You want these clamps and NOT the worm drive stainless steel ones, because the worm drive ones have a high "pressure point" just right under the screw that will eventually crack the plastic neck on most all modern radiators. Don't replace the spring clamps with the stainless steel worm drive ones. You will be risking an expensive replacement for a destroyed radiator neck.

I purchased the special hose clamp pliers for these clamps. SAVE YOUR MONEY! The cheap Channel lock type water pump pliers work just fine.

Too bad the descriptions on Amazon.com don't list the maximum and minimum size openings for these clamps. Well, NOW "you know."

One pleasant surprise is that these are still "Made in USA" and they are stronger, wider and better than the OEM ones.

And, best of all, they are less expensive.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mike, i can't find the brand or size in your post? thanks.

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry, forgot the link. Here it is.

Rotor Clip CTB-42ST FK, Steel, Constant Tension Band Hose Clamp, 1-21/32" Hose OD (Pack of 10)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice, thank you.(y)

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The good news is there is relatively little requirement to replace radiator hoses on the Prius because the original equipment hoses typically enjoy a very long service life.

6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, rubber technology has really improved.

In the 1970's I replaced radiator hoses every two years.

I hated the OEM "tower" screw clamps used on Fords. The GM ones made from formed wire, a square nut and a machine screw were much worse.

Still, if you car is over six (6) years old, I'd have a spare set of radiator hoses, and especially if you live in a remote area.

#6 Mike500, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or squeeze the radiator hose that connects to the driver's side of the radiator (with reference to left-hand-drive vehicles) and assess whether the rubber is still pliable. If it is in good condition then there is no need to replace it. That hose should be the first to go since it receives the hot coolant flow from the engine.

#7 Patrick Wong, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  8. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Actually in Prius (and I think every Toyota and many other cars) coolant flows:

engine->upper radiator hose->radiator->lower radiator hose->thermostat->engine

So checking the condition of (lower radiator hose) that connects to thermostat is the worst option. You should check upper radiator hose. Upper radiator hose connects to side of the engine bellow inverter coolant container and to left side (drivers side in lhd) on top of the radiator.

#8 valde3, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    Patrick Wong likes this.